Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Help in Evaluating malts from the scotch society

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Help in Evaluating malts from the scotch society

Postby Winterking » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:26 pm

Hi,

I have inherited 2 bottles of malt from the scotch malt whisky society from my father in law - they are not terribly rare, but I guess they are worth something in taste to the scotch connuiseurs. I'm looking for help on how I can find the value of each of these before I find a suitable buyer elsewhere. Money raised is going back to his wife so I want to make sure i'm in the correct pricing range.

jpgs attached.

Kind regards,
Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Winterking

Re: Help in Evaluating malts from the scotch society

Postby Ganga » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:31 am

The first bottle will likely fetch you a fair bit. I don't know what those auction or sell for but I'd guess that it would be at least 200 GBP. You'd really need to get someone that follows the pricing for that one.

I would suspect that the second one was originally on the low side for Society bottlings. I would suspect that there is some premium over the original price...maybe double. If you have a fan of the distillery or if this cask was particularly sought after, it might go even a little higher.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby corbuso » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:26 pm

For the 61.22, a low expectation is £250.
For the 53.83, this is not a really sought after vintage and rather young. You migh get about £40 to £50 is it goes well.
www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Devon1 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:40 pm

Not really sought after? If you're not mistaken here ... this is a Caol Ila and if memory serves, the bottles from this distillery are flying off the shelves. Double the price from the previous poster and you're closer to your selling price. What's more, both bottles are the old type and collectors are starting already to pay a premium for this.

Unfortunately, the label has some handwriting on it.
Devon1

Postby Winterking » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:45 pm

Folks, thanks for the advice. Didn't check back here for some time so your comments are appreciated.... anything to have stopped me putting these on ebay bidding starting at £20. :x The bottle that has writing on is in pencil so hopefully will come up good.
Winterking

Postby bredman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:56 am

Corbuso is right for the values. If you do put them on eBay be sure to mention that it is a Brora and it'll make that price. On a good day the Caol Ila will fetch £50.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder