Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Longevity of Single Malts?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Longevity of Single Malts?

Postby stevedigs04 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:53 am

As these are my first few days on the forums I have done ALOT of reading and obviously realize this question has been asked probably upwards of 5-10 times however I think I am going to put a somewhat different spin on it.

Part 1- If a bottle is purchased and left "un-opened" with the tin surrounding the cork and not ripped, and left out of direct sunlight in its case will it last forever? Or will oxidization eventually get to the whisky even if never opened?

Why I ask is because in my office I am currently building a shelving unit equipped with a bar top lights ect, to display my collection. (I love collecting and the rich history of the pastime just as much as drinking) I also visit Scotland every other year as well as other family members visiting because we have family. However if over years bottles will still go bad then I will hold off on building and building a collection and just add when I need.

Part 2- I'm sure like most of us I also can't resist opening a bottle to try a few drams so is there any way (with using marbles, pearls, or gases from the wine store as mentioned in previous posts to slow down oxidation) I have heard wrapping the cork in wax paper then inserting into the bottle cant help? (providing you store standing up so there is no contact with the liquid)?

Any info would be appreciated on these two topics again I don't mean to start another giant post about keeping whisky, just a few of my curiosities answered :)

Thanks everyone in advance!!

-Steve
stevedigs04

Re: Longevity of Single Malts?

Postby Ganga » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:15 am

In either case, the big issue is air getting to the whisky. The problem is that the cork can deteriorate over time. One solution that we have used is to provide your own wax seal. Another is to use parafilm.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby stevedigs04 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:18 am

hmm when using parafilm do you just put it over the mouth of the bottle then place the cork in overtop?
stevedigs04

Postby Ganga » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:25 am

Parafilm, at least the rendition we have been using here in California, will shrink as it hardens. Wrap several layers around the top of the bottle (cork in). It should almost look like a wax seal when done. I have a friend that does this to all his sealed bottles as well. Just start below the foil in this case.
Ganga
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder