Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Longrow 14 (new distillery release)

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Longrow , Longrow 14 Years Old

Longrow 14 (new distillery release)

Postby lucabeer » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:16 am

Hello everybody!

I just bought a bottle of this new OB expression:

http://www.springbankdistillers.com/spr ... .php?id=32

I tried it yesterday, and I was TRULY puzzled. I am not a big fan of Longrow 10 but I admit it's a good medium peaty dram (let's say I'd rate it an 8 ), but this 14 was truly different from what I remembered Longrow to taste.

It's incredibly soft: even my wife who usually coughs when drinking Scotch could taste it and say "smooth!". You can't almost feel the 46% alcohol.

The thing that puzzles me most is the incredible sherry dryness that pervades it: from nose to palate, to finish, it ALWAYS smells/tastes like dry Marsala. The peat is very weak and delicate. The finish is almost metallic.

Really, it always tastes of a stronger dry Marsala!!!!

Has anyone else tried it?

Do you find it sooooo different from the 10yo, too?
lucabeer

Postby Tom » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:10 pm

havent tried it, but after reading your tasting notes i sure will look for it, sounds like a great one to me.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby lucabeer » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:30 pm

I don't know...

Personally, I find it a bit too sour... As if the dryness of the sherry weren't completely balanced with the peaty and malty base of the typical Longrow flavours.

It's strange... I can't help drinking more and try to understand why thisk whisky tastes SO different from all the other sherried expressions of peaty malts I have tried... but I always fail.

I don't like this malt too much so far... actually, it's a bit of a disappointment... but it sure is unique: no other malt (I have tried 50) is similar in its weird sour/sherried effect. Certainly the opposite of Macallan's dried raisins sherry, or of Lagavulin Distillers Edition's sweetness.
lucabeer

Postby Tom » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:04 pm

ouch, i was hoping the dry sherry and light peat would make it great, not sour, i'll still look for it though, sherry/peat is great combo for me
Tom
Gold Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:17 pm

Note to self:

Buy one.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Related whiskies : Longrow , Longrow 14 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder