Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Any feedback on Dufftown?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Any feedback on Dufftown?

Postby Frodo » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:45 pm

I found a few bottles of 13yr old Dufftown finished in rum casks at 50%abv from the "old malt cask" series. The sale price is about 20% off, but it still seems a little high for a 13yr old ($115 cdn). I realize the 50% and the IB status will push the cost up, but is there something special about the malt that I should know about? Is it from a defunct distillery, or is the malt always this expensive a la Ardbeg, Springbank & Longrow? Is the"old malt cask" series overpriced?

The rum finish sounds intriguing since I've never had it. But $115 cdn for a 13yr old? The tasting notes on the website under "whiskies of the world" make it seem very ordinary. Any thoughts?

My apologies in advance for the number of queries of this nature. The LCBO is having one of it's biggest sales ever (in terms of number of Scotches, not the % off) and it's a one-off opportunity to get at some malts that may not be back in stock, never mind on sale. I'd be grateful for any feedback.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Tom » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:04 pm

wish i could help more, never tasted the dufftown, but i do know the old malt cask series, and i never had a bad bottle so far. they are very good in old whisky's. and usually bottle their drams at early 20's to above. currently awaiting an old malt cask Caol ila of 24Y.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:10 pm

I've only had a really bad Old Malt Cask-whisky (of a total of around 40-50 tasted), the rest have been above average.

Dufftown is the distillery that get's it name from the malt whisky capital of the world - Dufftown, Banffshire. It's very much alvie and producing, but the whisky is not very commercially available. It's part of the Flora & Fauna-series (15yo).

IMHO the OMC-series is a reflection on the quality of the whisky, and is dear but worth it. here in Norway we can't even get it, but our naighbouring Swedes have it with prices starting at £80.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby hpulley » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:11 pm

Frodo, Douglas Laing Old Malt Cask, Cadendheads and some other independent bottlers can be expensive in Ontario. I doubt it is anything special about the bottling though I must admit I haven't tried it.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:30 pm

Dufftown is terrible whisky but if anyone can get a good cask out of that distillery, it is Douglas Laing.

I've had a Glentauchers, which is usually dire, from them at 12 years old and 50% and it was excellent.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:01 am

If possible, do some research first to find out if the cask was ex-sherry.

All of the OMC bottlings I've had were great, bar one case - a sherried Tactical (Talisker) which was so sulphured, it was quite unpleasant to drink. Jim Murray also noted this in his 2004 Bible, and when I spoke to him about, he warned that there are a few sulphured casks runnning around and OMC were not immune from bottling them.

Bruce's comment is fairly accurate - generally speaking, Dufftown is not great whisky, and that's principally why it is rare to see it bottled as a single.
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:20 am

The rum finish does make it sound interesting but given the light influence of rum generally paired with a run of the mill whisky it sounds like it's not worth the C$115.

But there's only one way to find out.......
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Frodo » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:04 am

Thanks for getting back to me everyone. It's very much appretiated :!: ! Sounds like something to let go by. I found a Dun Bheagan bottling of 13yr old Mortlach for $55 Cdn. Sounds like a much better deal.

Thanks again all! It feels like I've dodged a rip-off :!: !!

Appretiative Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:50 am

:oops: :roll: Hmmmm.....

OK, feeling a little stupid here....seems I carried on about checking to see if it was an ex-sherry cask, when you already described it as a rum cask finish.

Apologies! :oops:

Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:03 am

But it could have been sherry casked, and then rum finished, yes? (I didn't check though).
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:30 am

It's a refill whisky oak and then finished in their own rum barrels....
Dufftown whisky's usually are quite full bodied and combined with rum, sounds like a real treat for those who are fond of OMC bottles. To be honest it's not well spend in my case, I'm not very fond of these bottlings.

Cheers,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Tom » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:30 pm

Frodo what finish is the mortlach? i had a 13Y old port finish of Dun Bheagan a while ago. (wasnt impressed)
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:08 pm

The mortlach is not finished (is there a joke to be had here?). It was a great price for $55 cdn. The colour is not indicitave of sherry casks, so I'm thinking... bourbon? Still, for the price, I'm happy.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Tom » Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:22 pm

no no, no joke, i just assumed it was finished as i had a finished one too of that age and Dun bheagan or just Ian MacLeod in general likes to finish most bottles. i was just asking cause i remember your looking for finishes.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:06 pm

I ahve to agree with some and say I have yet to taste any above average Dufftown's...

Rum finished can be very suprising, I ad a Caol Ila rum finish from Cheiftain's wich suprised me to the max. Somehow Rum and peaty whiskies fit very well togheter.

OMC is generally quite good, but for some expressions you might need an aquired taste... I had for example a Ardbeg OMC I adored, but other single malts drinkers didnt thought much of it.

Be sure to let us know what you think of it if you bought it, and sampled it...
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:30 am

Thanks Jeroen. I need to be sure that I'm getting something wonderful for that kind of money. I'm just not interested based on the feedback. I am however thinking about Campbeltown Loch 21. At $85 Cdn it sounds interesting. I'm not usually into blends but after reading the appropriate thread, it sound more like something I'd take a chance on.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:24 am

The Campbelltown Loch 21yo would want to be a significant improvement on its younger brother.

I've tried the Campbelltown Loch no age statement bottling, and it was horribly thin and weak. I bought it because everyone raved there was a fair chunk of Springbank in the blend.

Must've have been some pretty young and awful Springbank! :wink:
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:13 am

Admiral,

Have you tryed Mitchell's 12Y Premium yet? Now that was quite a decent blend, full of aroma and flavor, but very easy to drink.

Cheers,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:29 am

I have a 50ml miniature bottle of it, but haven't felt inclined to crack it open yet! :)

Perhaps I should now?

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:45 pm

Jeroen Kloppenburg wrote:I ahve to agree with some and say I have yet to taste any above average Dufftown's...

Be sure to let us know what you think of it if you bought it, and sampled it...

No, I passed on it Jeroen. It seemed like too much money to take a chance on.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder