Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Personal signatory ???????

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Personal signatory ???????

Postby challash » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:44 am

Hi

I have a Signatory malt in my possession. It is a 26 year old 1969 Single malt, distilled at Geln Rothes distillery. Butt number 20438. Bottle 52 of 452. 51.1%v.

Could someone let me know a bit of history regarding signatories especially this particular one. I want to open it and try it but I am a bit scared :wink: as it was a present from the missus.

Where do I find info on these vintages? Are there any websites? Had a quick look bit to no avail.

Cheers
challash

Postby Frodo » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:18 am

Challash:

Signatory Vintages is an independant bottling company that bottles and sells whisky distilled by others. It doesn't actually distill anything itself. I've had a bad bottle out of about three that I've had come from this company.

The actual whisky you have is Glen Rothes which has a fairly good reputation. On this website is a section called "whiskies of the world". Look under Glen Rothes (whiskies are listed alphabetically) and keep in mind, your whisky will taste a little different from the official bottlings. Also, your whisky is 51.1%abv compared to 40-43% for most whiskies, so feel free to water it down in your glass after trying it at full strength. A lot of people LOVE overstrength whiskies just as they are. The fun of having an overstregth hooch is that YOU can water it down to whatever YOU like.

I'm not sure what prompted your significant other to pick this bottle, but Glen Rothes has a good reputation. I think you lucked out!! And a 26yr old to boot. WOW!!!

Envious Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:13 am

Challash,

You are the lucky owner of a rare vintage malt whisky from Signatory. Those vintages are made for drinking and saviour this malt for a special occasion. Why not sip it at Christmas, just a few drams. Then store the bottle at a cool and dark place to protect the content while you wait for another occasion.....

Cheers,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Tom » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:39 pm

agree with huurman, Signatory isnt great for collecting unless you get a port ellen or something, so have a good one and enjoy it.
personally i had no bad experiences whatsoever with signatorys and i find them to be one of the top 3 independents. mainly cause they dont use chill filtration in most of their bottlings.
I find glenrothes a different story, i had some good ones, and some bad ones. both OB's and independents. however if u have a good one all the best to you lad, good glenrothes is an excellent dram for any occasion.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Zydcaj » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:11 pm

I have a bottle of Vintage 1976 Single Islay Malt Scottish Whiskey.
Distilled at Caol lla Distillery. Bottle no 102 of 230. Drink or keep?
Zydcaj

Postby SpiritofShetland » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:51 pm

Drink, always drink - IMHO.

In my book, whisky's made for drinking not for collecting dust.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby lambda » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:08 pm

Yes, like Tom said.. I doubt that Caol Ila will increase in value much the coming years, since the market is flooded with Caol Ila IB's. They are usually good as well, so I'd just drink it (or sell it and invest it in something more profitable ;))
lambda
Bronze Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:01 pm

I've never had a bad (or indiferent) bottle from Signatory. Wonderful stuff! At the moment I have Signatory bottlings in the cupboard - 17yr Clynelish, 13yr Caol Ila and Brora 23yr - and have recently finished the Highland Park 13yr; all great whiskies!

What ever you do - drink it. It's what it was made for.

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Signatory and Distilling

Postby S_tan_De_mon » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:26 am

Frodo:

A minor caveat regarding your description of Signatory being a bottler only of other distilleries' outputs. Signatory does own Edradour, so technically they are a distiller also. Hopefully, their Edradour output will improve in the future to a degree of consistency matching their choice of casks from other distillers. They certainly have an experienced and talented master distiller now!

Slainte!

S'tan
S_tan_De_mon
Silver Member

Postby Zydcaj » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:38 am

This Bottle of Whiskey. Does anyone know how much it's worth?
Would it be worth selling or shall I open it at Christmas? :wink:
Zydcaj

Postby Admiral » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:21 am

Open it and drink it.

But why wait until Christmas? :D

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:01 am

I don't know how you could have such a wonderful bottle of whiskey yet unopened. If it were me i'd be posting tasting notes instead of the, "should i swallow any of this yet question". :lol:
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:08 pm

I have had a couple of unpleasant Signatorys, which were both, oddly enough, form the Un-Chillfiltered Collection. But I think that's just my bad luck.

Erik, nice to see your signature again. Hope we'll be seeing more of it.
Deactivated Member

Postby Tom » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:29 am

Although I really hope so too, this post dates back from last year...

but at any rate we are missing your input Erik, hope you can read this sometimes.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:17 pm

Tom wrote:Although I really hope so too, this post dates back from last year...

but at any rate we are missing your input Erik, hope you can read this sometimes.

Oh yeah! :oops:
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:52 pm

Yes Erik, it's time you came back.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder