Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenlivet and Glen Grant 75cl

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Glenlivet and Glen Grant 75cl

Postby Rab » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:19 am

I have ben offered a bottle of Glenlivet 12 yo, in a box, which states "Pure Single Malt Whisky" on the label and is wrapped in wax paper. Also a bottle of Glen Grant 5 yo with a label on the shoulder which states "Distilled 1985". Both bottles are 75cl which makes me think they're fairly old. When did the industry change to 70cl and can anyone tell me how much these bottles might be worth? Thanks.
Rab

Postby Iain » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:01 pm

The Glen Grant seems pretty straightforward - a 5 yo that was distilled in 1985 was surely bottled in 1990 :)
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:32 pm

If the price is right for you the Glen Grant could prove to be an interesting pick. I had a 7 year old Glen Grant about 10 years ago and it was a surprisingly refreshing whisky. As you know most standard bottlings start at 10 years so this may be an opportunity for you to taste a non standard age at a reasonable price. Let us know what you choose.
Lawrence
Matured cask

75 c/l bottles

Postby richard » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:37 pm

the change over is 1992 thats when the 70 c/l bottles started appearing i have quite a few glenlivet bottles not especially rare some are 75c/l bottles are still availiable for certain markets if you want a price on the glenlivet email me at frenchoak@aol.com
richard
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:18 pm

Italy is chock-a-block full of Glen Grant 5 year olds. I"m not sure if that would be worth too much, to be honest.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:39 pm

If the price is right it might be interesting. To be fair not many of us have the opportunity to shop for whisky in Italy or try that many 5 year olds. I think there is a small price premium that many of us would pay to try this whisky.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Aidan » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:49 pm

I was at a whisky tasting presented by a member of this forum, as it happens, and he said that for some reason the Italians love their 5 yr old whiky. They drank so much of it, Glen Grant ran out of 5 yr old so started selling 7 yr old as 5 yr old (ok, I'm not sure if it was 7 yr old exactly, but it was somethingl like that). It went on and on and the whiskys got older and older, but they were still labeled 5 yr old. Ultimately, who knows how old the whisky you're tasting is.
Anyway, it's very inexpensive in Italy. I suppose it's worth a try, but i didn't have any.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:01 pm

Hi Rab,

Sounds like an interesting deal. I think you should contact Richard, as he told you here at the forum he seems to have some bottles left to compare them and an indication for the value of it.

I found something similar at the Whisky Exchange for about 110 GBP. But that's about an original bottle from the 80's with a cream label.

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Iain » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:55 am

I haven't tasted it for a few years, but I remember the Glen Grant 5 as a very light, straightforward, uncomplicated whisky. I think it is aimed primarily at folks who like to drink their Scotch long, perhaps with a mixer.
Of the GG OBs, I much prefer the Glen Grant 10, which was (and is?) easy to find in the UK. But I'm not sure about its availability in other countries.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder