Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenmorangie "Château de Meursault Wood Finish" 12 y

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Postby Czarny » Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:19 pm

Well, today I was intrigued when I saw a Glenmorangie Chateau de Meursault Wood Finish 12 years old at the supermarket for 35 €. It’s a non chill-filtered 46% botteling. I could not resist and I bought a bottle.
Surprisingly I couldn’t find any record on the web about this release (even on Glenmorangie website). Has any one of you ever heard about this whisky ore tasted it? At home I’m currently following very strict rules (that I have imposed myself) forbidding me opening more than 10 bottle of whisky at the time (I have currently 17 opened bottles, and I’m trying to reduce the stock). So I could not taste this Glenmorangie (please don’t blame me), and at that price I’m wondering about buying another one or two. Has any one tried it yet ?
Czarny

Postby Czarny » Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:19 pm

Well, today I was intrigued when I saw a Glenmorangie Chateau de Meursault Wood Finish 12 years old at the supermarket for 35 €. It’s a non chill-filtered 46% botteling. I could not resist and I bought a bottle.
Surprisingly I couldn’t find any record on the web about this release (even on Glenmorangie website). Has any one of you ever heard about this whisky ore tasted it? At home I’m currently following very strict rules (that I have imposed myself) forbidding me opening more than 10 bottle of whisky at the time (I have currently 17 opened bottles, and I’m trying to reduce the stock). So I could not taste this Glenmorangie (please don’t blame me), and at that price I’m wondering about buying another one or two. Has any one tried it yet ?
Czarny

Postby Czarny » Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:34 am

Well, considering the tremendous number of answer I got, I came to the conclusion that this malt distribution is quite confidential. I was still intrigued by this strange and unknown finish. Thus I decided to investigate.
My first try on google was a total failure, I had 0 answer for a query about “Meursault finish” or “Meursault wood Finish”. The Glenmorangie website didn’t gave me more information as they don’t describe (or even mention) other malt than the10, 15, 18 years old and the 3 “classic” finish. Is Glenmorangie afraid of looking too experimental and too far from the whisky traditions ? Well I will send a mail to them to know more about that …
I was not going to stop on that disappointment, thus I had a talk with the malt expert of “La Maison du Whisky” in Paris. He told me that he hadn’t tasted this whisky nor even heard about it. He also explained me that, from time to time glenmorangie was releasing some experimental malts on the market (according to him, before producing the glenmorangie port wood finish on an industrial scale there where a pre-release that was much better than the final version). He asked me where I had found this bottle and was quite surprised when I told him about my 35€ supermarket bottle discovery (Keep in mind that a “Glenmorangie Sauterne Finish” is sold for 300€ at La Maison du whisky).
To know more about this whisky I had only one remaining solution: open the bottle and taste the whisky. But with my stupid “no more than 10 bottles opened at the same time” rule, I had no choice other than buying another bottle and drink it so quickly that it couldn’t be counted in my stock. Thus I came back today to the supermarket and bought the last bottle available. I will soon give you a complete resume of my Tasting Notes (but I must warn you I’m quite bad at that).

Considering the great number of posts in this topic, I can see that many people are anxious about this Glemorangie mystery; be sure I will edit my notes online as quick as possible, meanwhile you will have to be satisfied with this pictures (probably the first on the web).

[This message has been edited by Czarny (edited 18 February 2003).]
Czarny

Postby Czarny » Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:34 am

Well, considering the tremendous number of answer I got, I came to the conclusion that this malt distribution is quite confidential. I was still intrigued by this strange and unknown finish. Thus I decided to investigate.
My first try on google was a total failure, I had 0 answer for a query about “Meursault finish” or “Meursault wood Finish”. The Glenmorangie website didn’t gave me more information as they don’t describe (or even mention) other malt than the10, 15, 18 years old and the 3 “classic” finish. Is Glenmorangie afraid of looking too experimental and too far from the whisky traditions ? Well I will send a mail to them to know more about that …
I was not going to stop on that disappointment, thus I had a talk with the malt expert of “La Maison du Whisky” in Paris. He told me that he hadn’t tasted this whisky nor even heard about it. He also explained me that, from time to time glenmorangie was releasing some experimental malts on the market (according to him, before producing the glenmorangie port wood finish on an industrial scale there where a pre-release that was much better than the final version). He asked me where I had found this bottle and was quite surprised when I told him about my 35€ supermarket bottle discovery (Keep in mind that a “Glenmorangie Sauterne Finish” is sold for 300€ at La Maison du whisky).
To know more about this whisky I had only one remaining solution: open the bottle and taste the whisky. But with my stupid “no more than 10 bottles opened at the same time” rule, I had no choice other than buying another bottle and drink it so quickly that it couldn’t be counted in my stock. Thus I came back today to the supermarket and bought the last bottle available. I will soon give you a complete resume of my Tasting Notes (but I must warn you I’m quite bad at that).

Considering the great number of posts in this topic, I can see that many people are anxious about this Glemorangie mystery; be sure I will edit my notes online as quick as possible, meanwhile you will have to be satisfied with this pictures (probably the first on the web).

[This message has been edited by Czarny (edited 18 February 2003).]
Czarny

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder