Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

does time spent bottled affect taste?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

does time spent bottled affect taste?

Postby haymaker11 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:41 am

Hello all, i was just given a bottle of Canadian Club that has the seal on the cap still. It says 1974. So to me that means this Rye was bottled 30 years ago. is this correct?

I am wondering what i should do with it? I do not expect it has any monetary or worth in dollars, but since it was passed to me, and it has been in the bottle 30 years I am curious.

Does time elapsed (30 years) in the bottle affect the product? taste? smoothness? or anything? or would it still be just the same as it was when it was bottled?

Basically just curious weahter it is harmful to drink after such a long time in the bottle, or If i should crack it and enjoy it on a special occasion due to it's bottling date .... i'd like to enjoy a good glass of it, but I'd also like to pass it on one day perhaps.

thank in advance for any responsed, opinions, etc... thanks
haymaker11

Postby Lawrence » Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:36 am

The whisky industry has generally taken the line that once it's bottled that no further changes take place.

However consumers have noticed that some subtle changes do take place over time.

I think it is fair to say that very few people can tell you what changes have taken place inside your bottle of Canadian Club over the last 30 years.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:19 am

But more importantly, I think you can safely consume the contents without fearing that you're drinking some kind of poison.

Most higher strength alcohols can spend decades in the bottle without "going off". It ain't like milk!!! :D

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby bond » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:37 am

Lawrence wrote:I think it is fair to say that very few people can tell you what changes have taken place inside your bottle of Canadian Club over the last 30 years.

Lawrence

FRODO would be a good bet. You should invite him over whenever you crack open the bottle.
bond
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:26 am

Thanks for the thought, but I HATE CC. Rather drink water :shock: . I was told by product consultants at the LCBO that very little change happens in a bottle of spirits as long as it's unopened.

Case in point: My stepfather's friend got me some OLD bottles of Park Lane and Captain's Table (Canadian Rye - both discontinued) whisky that had been sitting in someone's basement. They tasted good and fresh not dull. And they'd been sitting around for about 40 yrs.

Hope this helps.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Martin's V V O scotch

Postby PJ » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:56 am

Iwas looking for the same guidance I was given a number of bottles of Martin's VV) 8 year 86 proof Scotch that my parent brought back from the Islands about 20 years ago. They are still sealed but have a little sediment in the bottom. What do you think. worth drinking?
PJ

Postby Lawrence » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:58 am

You could try one of them and let us know.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Martin's

Postby PJ » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:04 am

I guess that is the best strategy. I am a Bourbon drinker. Is Martin's a good scotch?
PJ

Postby Lawrence » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:14 am

I've never tried it and I can find very little info about it. I believe that it is a blend that is popular away from the home market. If you're abourbon drinker be prepared for a much lighter whisky.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:55 am

Is anyone else a little concerned about PJ's comment concerning sediment in the bottle? Whilst extremely fine sediment is possible in single cask, non-chillfiltered bottlings, noticeable sediment in a house whisky such as Martins sounds very unusual to me.

I trust it isn't an indication of deterioration of the cork?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:03 am

I think it's most likely deterioration of the cork, the Balvenie 18 I had on Saturday night had some fine cork sediment at the bottom of the bottle and some made it into my glass. I could not detect any taste that I could attribute to the cork.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder