Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bruichladdich 15

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Bruichladdich 15

Postby SasquatchMan » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:00 pm

Well, some of you may remember a vote or two for Bruichladdich on the "Most Overhyped Whisky" thread, and mine was certainly one.

I was so disappointed with the Bruichladdich 10 that I really couldn't imagine trying the other expressions, but a bottle of the 15 fell into my hands last night.

This is indeed a much friendlier dram, and the spiciness of the 10 (which is balanced by, um, well, uh, nothing at all) is still present, but with a much fuller body to carry it, and a much more pleasing finish (I think the 10 is short and dry).

That said, what it reminded me of was Bunnahabhain without the buttery/toffee flavours that Bunnahabhain usually seems to exhibit.

It's nice to see an independent distillery, and I'm sure happy about the reception of the Bruichladdich products, but I can't help but think that either I am missing something, or the whisky tastes better in the bottle than out of it.
SasquatchMan
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:43 pm

I have not been one of Bruichladdich's biggest fans of late but I have attempted to disconnect the hype from the whisky. The result is that I don't have as many preconceptions and as a result I'm finding more and more to like in the current line up of Bruichladdich.

To be accurate I don't like the entire line up but then I find that to be true of other distilleries also.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Dan G » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:27 am

Being fairly new to whisky, I'm glad to see more experienced drinkers who dislike Bruichladdich. Because yes, it really seems to be hyped as a big thing, but I've tried the 10, 15 and 17, and found them all to be quite harsh, without a lot of depth or development of flavor.

I'm trying to decide, as my knowledge and appreciation grows, if I'll try it again. There are far less expensive sure things and unknowns, so II'd have a hard time justifying spending $60-85 on a whisky I know I don'tl like.
Dan G

Postby Admiral » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:03 am

At a critical tasting a fortnight ago, we directly compared the Bunnahabhain 12yo against the Bruichladdich 15yo (46%).

I scored the Bunnahabhain 7.3, and the Bruichladdich 7.0.

Reading back over my notes and comments now, my notes for the 'Laddie weren't too disparaging:

Nose: Malt. A hint of acetone. Grassy paddock smells.
Palate: Syruppy, malty, oily & coating. A tiny hint of peat. Dry toast.
Finish: Good length, and a consistent continuation of everything the palate offered.
Comments: Flattens & dies with water. Palate becomes thin.

All in all, the 'Laddie 15yo is a pleasant enough dram, but what ruins it for me is the outrageous price tag. Lagavulin 16yo costs AUS$80 over here, but the 'Laddie 15yo costs $130. Even the 'Laddie 10yo is $100.

$100 for a ten year old???? :evil: (10yo Talisker is $69, 10yo Ardbeg is $69, 10yo Glenmorangie is $65)

Any malt of this nature with a disproportionate price tag that high is definitely overhyped.
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:23 am

Yes, you're absolutely correct, the price is simply too high in comparison to other malts. Here in British Columbia the 10 year old is +C$80.00 and if you compare it to some other malts you have to scratch your head a bit.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby SasquatchMan » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:12 am

Admiral, I'd like to see your notes on the Bunnahabhain.

I'm not quite to the point of saying Bruichladdich is "bad" but it sure as hell doesn't stack up against others in the price range. But I won't be buying it anymore.
SasquatchMan
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:21 am

Notes for the Bunnahabhain taken at the same time were as follows:

Nose: Honey. Sweet toffee. A hint of saltiness.
Palate: More toffee / caramel notes. Cereal maltiness. Mouthcoating & smooth.
Finish: Grassy
Comments: No obvious maritime features, but a pleasant, unassuming dram.
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby bamber » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:46 am

For what it's worth, I really rate the 15YO. I finished my bottle a while back and it was one of those I had trouble leaving alone. The 10YO, which I bought 6 months previous to the 15YO still has about 20cl left.

I would have to say my problem with the 10YO is that it's a bit bland ! I find it to be a fresh malty whisky, but lacking in depth. It always reminds be of Ardbeg 10YO with the good stuff taken out (probably just the colour and strength). Bruichladdich is priced around the same as other 10YO and 15YO malts here, so I guess that makes it an easier dram to swallow.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:01 pm

Admiral wrote:All in all, the 'Laddie 15yo is a pleasant enough dram, but what ruins it for me is the outrageous price tag. Lagavulin 16yo costs AUS$80 over here, but the 'Laddie 15yo costs $130. Even the 'Laddie 10yo is $100.

$100 for a ten year old???? :evil: (10yo Talisker is $69, 10yo Ardbeg is $69, 10yo Glenmorangie is $65)

Any malt of this nature with a disproportionate price tag that high is definitely overhyped.

Admiral:

The prices you've quoted are similar to what we pay in Ontario. C$90 for 16yr Lagavulin (OB), C$65 for 10yr Talisker (OB), C$45 for 10yr Glenmorangie (OB), and C$75 for 10yr Ardbeg (OB). We get 'Laddie 15yr for C$100, and 10yr for about C$75 (I think). Sounds like someone is making a profit off the stuff in your neck of the woods.

I do like the 15yr 'Laddie (the 10yr I find booring), but not at it's price tag. And if I find the price tag objectionable, I can imagine what you think!

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:12 pm

Interesting comments when put in the perspective of "value and pricing"... For the Canadians in the crowd (or those with travel plans and a big empty suitcase) I'll add the Alberta comparisons - FWIW.

The Bruichladdich 15 can be found in Alberta for ~$65 Cdn. :D (but also as high as $80 Cdn.) - versus the BC price of $94.50... :cry: (compared to Lagavulin 16 at $60 Cdn. :D in Alberta and $85 in BC :cry: ).

Personally I am a big fan of the 15's unique character and also find it is one that blossoms with a hint of water (no more than an angel's tear).

Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:25 pm

Yea, I will give up that it's a nice dram. One that I wouldn't refuse if offered. :)
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby SasquatchMan » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:41 pm

Interesting point, dave - the 15 DOES change with a splash of water. The bottle says something about ideal drinking strength, but also mentions to go ahead and add a drop of h20, which I thought improved it's bouquet and general flavour profile.
SasquatchMan
Bronze Member

Postby Gerald Ford » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:40 pm

I am relatively new to malts (30-35 different samples) but agree that Bruichladdich 10 was overrated, though such overrating is understandable, as everyone can get a bit over-pleased with the resurrection of a mothballed distillery. I was, however, pleasantly surprised with my purchase of the 15 yo. About 1/4 way through the bottle, using a bit of water in my samples, I encountered a unique floral quality--unique in both its flavor and the extreme amount of it. It was almost like chewing on a rose petal, with much of the associated bitterness and aromatic sweetness. This gave way to nice peach and finished beautifully with a salt twang. I agree that it is an expensive malt (~$60 U.S.), but given that its pleasant taste is like no other I have yet tried, I would be inclined to purchase it again. An unmistakeable dram.
Gerald Ford

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder