Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Who's tasted Glenmorangie Cellar 13?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Who's tasted Glenmorangie Cellar 13?

Postby Lawrence » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:55 am

As you may know Glenmorangie Cellar 13 is is matured in first fill bourbon barrels and the whiskies are between 10 and 12 years old.

As an amusing attempt to hitch a ride on Islay's coat tails Cellar or warehouse 13 is the nearest of the 14 warehouses to the sea.

Without water it has a very closed nose but with water it opens to reveal a soft nose with some hints of wood. It's a sharp clean whisky that I didn't enjoy at first but am now coming to like. The bourbon finally shows up in the finish but is not over powering.

Any other thoughts or comments?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:22 pm

I'm guessing this bottling comes with quite a price tag?
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:50 pm

No it was about £28 when I bought it. Apparently having 13 in the name has not helped sales and it's available at the distillery and duty free.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby richard » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:59 pm

its also availiable at asda/s that is a major food outlet in england i did try it about £28.00 as far as i remember quite light on the nose sea salt lightly phenolic
oaky quite fresh on the palate
oliy in the finnish a medium length finnish
would drink again
hope this helps
richard
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:54 pm

richard wrote:its also availiable at asda/s that is a major food outlet in england i did try it about £28.00

That expression is Warehouse 3 which is 10 years old and is first fill bourbon cask. It's also available at Asda's in Scotland. :wink:

Cellar 13 is excellent. I had it a couple of years ago and I bought it at Schipol Airport in the Netherlands. Glenmorangie changes mostly from wood and not with age. It was a little sharp but was very fresh and crisp from memory.

The Warehouse 3 is £25 a litre at the moment. It is quite obviously bourbony and vanilla in taste but is still excellent.

Neither was quite as good as the Millenium 12 yr old which was all first fill cask stuff as well.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby richard » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:36 pm

thanks bruce i must have forgotten where i got it from but you are right about asdas but i dont agree about the glenmorangie millenium thought it the wood come through to much a bit raw i prefer the 18 when i can get it
richard
Silver Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Thu May 25, 2006 12:26 am

I just returned from London with a bottle of this and I have to say I am very pleased. It is similar to the 10 but different enough to make it worth buying. I will buy more on my next trip.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:45 pm

I tried the Cellar 13 when I visited the distillery last week. Although I liked it (I like Glenmorangie so long as it is not mucked about with), I didn't think it had the subtlety of the regular 10yo. The Cellar 13 is really more of a straight bourbon, sweet, vanilla and toasty malt flavour whereas the 10yo has some more delicate floral notes, a slightly sweeter and less toasty malt, and doesn't have the drying vanilla to the same extent.

I bought a bottle of the Burrwood finish but I guess it will be many months (years?) before I get around to trying it. Anyone else tried it?
Deactivated Member

Postby ianbanks » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:11 pm

Hello

I have a bottle open at the moment. It is ok. Fresh would be a good way to describe it.

Slainte

Ian
ianbanks

Postby broontroot » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:10 pm

Hi all
I managed to buy a bottle o Cellar 13 last week, i was off fishing in Norway so got it from duty free in Aberdeen, i have been trying to get some since i returned and have now found out that its only for export or you can buy it at the Tain distillery shop.
I found this malt very easy to drink in fact we only had the one bottle so we had to put water in it to make it last longer. :empty:
Im heading up to the Sutherland area next week so i will definately pop into the distillery shop for a couple o bottles 8)
broontroot

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:34 pm

><((((>

Nice fishie, bt! The trout will set you free. (Do you return the favor?)
Deactivated Member

Postby broontroot » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:45 pm

Absolutly, only keep what i occasionaly want to eat the rest are returned carefully :thumbsup:
broontroot

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:14 pm

Any Glenmorangie matured in first fill bourbon casks is brilliant.

The millenium malt and Warehouse 3 were excellent as well.

Glenmorangie changes most with wood, rather than age.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:22 pm

you can still pick up the millenium malt at release price in the falkirk area, i got one last week and plan on cracking it open. only thing is they dont come with the boxes. but if your drinking them, it doesnt matter i guess.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby broontroot » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:25 pm

BruceCrichton wrote:Any Glenmorangie matured in first fill bourbon casks is brilliant.

The millenium malt and Warehouse 3 were excellent as well.

Glenmorangie changes most with wood, rather than age.

Unfortunately i havent tried any of these two but if they are still available i will certainly look out for them :o
broontroot

Postby vitara7 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:14 pm

bruce, let me know if you manage to get a bottle, the shop had a few of them on the shelfs.

hope the rather crappy directions are understandable.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:47 am

I had the Cellar 13 and remember it as being quite good but to be fair it was years ago. I need a refresher dram!
Lawrence
Matured cask

Re: Who's tasted Glenmorangie Cellar 13?

Postby les taylor » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:52 am

lawschooldrunk wrote:anyone know where they are selling these? Any new tasting notes from anyone?

It's definetly available through UK Duty Free outlets. I've not seen it on the high street.
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:49 am

Lawrence wrote:
Any other thoughts or comments?

I bought this from Schipol airport in 2002. It was fresher and more bourbony than the standard 10 at that time. It was an excellent buy.

Glenmorangie benefits from being in a first fill bourbon cask.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:44 pm

I had this about a month ago. The biggest difference I found in it was that it lacked the astringency of the 10. For me, this makes it more enjoyable.
Ganga
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder