Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Te Bheag ?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Te Bheag ?

Postby birdman » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:19 am

I recently acquired a bottle of Te Bheag but have been unable to find much, if any, information on it.
Any comments? I have not yet broken the seal.
birdman

Postby williammackinnon » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:04 am

I had never heard of it, but seems it hails from my Father's home: the Isle of Skye:

http://www.gaelic-whiskies.co.uk/html/root/index.htm
williammackinnon

Postby Admiral » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:32 am

I consumed a 50ml miniature of it about 18 months ago. I can't remember whether it was a blend or a vatted malt, but I do recall thinking it was pleasant enough.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:28 am

I bought (and consumed) a bottle of it about 1 year ago. The label says "non-chill filtered islay blend" so I bought it expecting a blast of peat a la Bowmore or Laphroig. What I got was a whisper of smoke and a nice smooth whisky. I thought it was decent value for the money I paid for it (C$35) but felt the label was misleading.

I was actually hoping it would taste something like Islay Hallmark which has a healthy Bowmore content, or Black Bottle. On it's own merits, it's not bad whisky (opinion, not fact).

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:34 pm

I didn't think it was an islay blend but I could be wrong. It is indeed a blend. The same company, Prabha Na Linne, also makes Poit Dubh a vatting of Talisker and speysides, and some other blends and vattings. For a blend it is pretty good but I can smell some obvious grain alcohol which makes it less sophisticated to me.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:04 am

You're right Harry. It's not an Islay blend at all. My mistake. It is a nice dram for all that (memory = 1 yr ago). Especially for the money!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby bond » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:51 am

It is indeed a non- chill filtered blend. Interestingly, is pronounced "che vek"
bond
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:09 pm

bond wrote:It is indeed a non- chill filtered blend. Interestingly, is pronounced "che vek"

Yes, certainly not 'tea bag' :D

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder