Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Caol Ila 12yo at Tescos

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Caol Ila 12yo at Tescos

Postby ormondroyd » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:28 pm

Apologies if this is old news, but...

Just found plenty of stocks of this at Tescos in Feltham, £21.99 (from £28.99).

I didn't know there was a distillery impression of this at the moment - certainly not seen anything other than independent bottlings (had a nice Signatory recently).

Has something changed recently? (i.e. has someone seen sense?).
ormondroyd

Postby hpulley » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:00 pm

Yes, there are now OBs in 12yo, 18yo and cask strength expressions. Like you, I hadn't seen many OBs of CI until now, except for a 15yo Flora & Fauna bottling.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby ormondroyd » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:05 pm

Neither of the two shops I go to in Soho have had the 15yo for a while - it's a bit of a classic it seems (and I assume it's priced accordingly).

The singatory I had was nice - it grew on me a lot towards the bottom of the bottle actually. A bit different to the southern Islays - sweeter perhaps.
ormondroyd

Postby hpulley » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:13 pm

CI is quite different. Never quite lives up to my expectations, to be honest (I'm just more of an Ardbeg & Lagavulin man, I guess). I've had a few Signatory expressions, some Ian McLeods and Duncan Taylor's Auld Reekie which is probably the best one I've had, though it had an odd sulphur note which put me off a bit (perhaps it would burn off with time but I was trying it during a masterclass so there wasn't time to wait, unfortunately). Of the new OBs I've only had the cask strength which is a good whisky but not a great islay IMO; far less smoky than I would like.

Harry
Last edited by hpulley on Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby ormondroyd » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:45 pm

Aah well, it'll be an interesting change anyway, and you can't go TOO wrong for twenty two quid.

Especially given all I've got left in the house is a half bottle of Glenfiddich (it was seven quid at the co-op so I have an excuse. Sort of).
ormondroyd

Postby Frodo » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:12 pm

You guys are serious lucky dawgs!!!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:51 am

Harry,

Are you in the SMWS? They've bottled quite a few Caol Ila's lately (it's the only peaty Islay we've been able to get from the SMWS in Australia for a while now) and they have all been fantastic.

I've had three different casks in the last 12 months, and they were vastly superior to the 12 and 18 in the new OB range. (I haven't tried the cask-strength yet).

If not, perhaps you could pay Lawrence a visit!! :wink: :)

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:29 am

Ironic that somebody should mention Caol Ila and the SMWS in the same sentence, tonight I had some of my SMWS 53.55, distilled Oct 1993 and bottled June 2002, an eight year old and at 59.9% ABV. The little note on the bottle says "Tomato puree, soap and cordite" !!!! I have not detected any of the tomato puree or the soap but it's a real cracker none the less. Light golden color, lots of peat and promise on the nose and it explodes in the mouth leaving peat and peat and peat.

A good whisky for winter.

I've been chewing on the finish for the last 45 minutes, almost like the taste of wet burnt match heads, that must be the cordite they refered to on the bottle. It just doesn't want to end, amazing.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby bamber » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:58 am

I had some SMWS Caol Ila at the bar in London and was really really impressed. I immediately ordered a bottle of the Cask Strength OB as I have heard a lot of good things about it (and it's quite cheap) but was a little disappointed. Yes its sweet and peaty, but it did not seem much else to me. That being said, I've still managed to make a pretty hefty dent in the bottle :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:43 pm

I'm not a member of the SWMS and don't know if there are any Ontario chapters. I belong to a whisky tasting group here, An Quaich, but they aren't affiliated.

I have relatives out in BC that I haven't seen for a while so perhaps one day I'll be in your neck of the woods ;) We're both in Canada but about 3000 miles apart so it isn't a quick jaunt over.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:06 am

Apologies.....unfortunately, Canadian geography is not featured in our schools' syllabus! :wink: :D

Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:23 pm

There are no SMWS chapters in Canada, the SMWS of America has the rights to ALL of North America and so far Allan Shayne has been stopped cold by the different government monopolies and their associated liquor laws that exist from province to province. However all is not lost as I understand that he is in the process of hiring a Canadian agent to handle the SMWS product.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:28 pm

An Quaich had to change its rules recently. They were quietly flaunting the rules by letting you buy bottles right at tasting events but someone poked around and got them in trouble so now you taste them and order them and they are shipped to the LCBO store of your choice (you hope). Not the best system but better than nothing and any similar tasting/buying society in Ontario would have to work the same way unless laws are changed.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:37 pm

Yes, the SMWS agent would handle the product within the laws & regulations according to each province.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:45 am

The SMWS works similarly over here.....all purchases, deliveries, payments, etc, are conducted through a licenced liquor store on behalf of the SMWS.

Australia has some pretty strict rules about sale & service of alcohol.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder