Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

20 cl Classic Malts (and Hidden?)

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Postby Dan G » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:07 pm

I would like to see more whiskys released on 20cl bottles. I'm fairly new to this, and am reluctant to spend the money on a full bottle of something I'm unsure of.

There aren't many miniatures available in Canada (at least where i am) - I assume the cost of shipping them is prohibitive. But, having tried a few minis, I didn't find them very useful. I've always wanted more because I don't think I can judge on glass try whether I like something or not. I think about 3 or 4 tastings is what I've needed for each whisky before I could really make a decision on it.
Dan G

Postby Lawrence » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:33 am

I heard that the industry is discontinuing the miniatures in favour of the 20 cl bottles.

Dan G if you're in BC Deagio has just introduced a 4 x 20 cl pack of the Johnnie Walker range, red, black, gold and blue for C$90.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:49 pm

5cL is not enough to discover a whisky. 20cL is a much better sampling of a whisky, and a good way to buy without committing a whole lot of money. I too hope this trend continues, though with Lagavulin and Clynelish its a pretty good bet that I'll fully enjoy the 70cL and 75cL bottles!

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:14 pm

Cragganmore, Dalwhinnie and Talisker ha sjust popped up in Sweden for just above £10.

Good to see someone else following Douglas Laing, Bruichladdich and others in bottling malts in 20cl-bottles.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:33 pm

Dan G wrote:I would like to see more whiskys released on 20cl bottles. I'm fairly new to this, and am reluctant to spend the money on a full bottle of something I'm unsure of.

There aren't many miniatures available in Canada (at least where i am) - I assume the cost of shipping them is prohibitive. But, having tried a few minis, I didn't find them very useful. I've always wanted more because I don't think I can judge on glass try whether I like something or not. I think about 3 or 4 tastings is what I've needed for each whisky before I could really make a decision on it.

Dan G, I agree completely with what you said. I couldn't have said it better myself!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:37 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Dan G if you're in BC Deagio has just introduced a 4 x 20 cl pack of the Johnnie Walker range, red, black, gold and blue for C$90.

I got that package about 16 months ago. While you know what you're getting with the red, and the black, and the gold is worth trying, you're really paying for the blue. It was worth it for me because I wanted to try the blue and the gold. The package is good value in my opinion if you want to try the blue, but I would have preferred the green instead of the red.

Frodo
Last edited by Frodo on Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:56 pm

:D You Ontario guys get everything first!
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:58 pm

Practically the rest of the world gets everything first, Lawrence...

When trying to answer Gordon's "Best new release of 2004" thread, all my answers are really for last year...

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:25 pm

Oh, and I just got the Duncan Taylor newsletter a moment ago. They are introducing a set of 20cL tasters:

"The 20cl Tasting Selection has been launched with 5 different selections - each one bottled at natural cask strength from a single cask. The whiskies are not chill filtered or coloured in any way, allowing the full flavour of the whiskies to be appreciated.

There are two excellent examples from Macallan both matured in bourbon casks. The first is a vibrant 18 year old and the second a 35 year old from 1968 which shows all the hallmarks of a well aged Macallan with lots of orange and bubblegum notes. There is also a stunningly well-balanced, coastal 17 year old Highland Park, a rich and creamy Longmorn 17 year old and a very big, lively and decidedly fruity 36 year old Miltonduff!"

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Dan G » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:34 pm

Lawrence wrote:I heard that the industry is discontinuing the miniatures in favour of the 20 cl bottles.

Lawrence - I'm in Edmonton. There is one really good store here that tries to stock a wide variety. I'll start harassing them about stocking 20cl bottles/sets.

The problem here is the independent stores; though prices can be really good, selection varies more than in gov't stores.
Dan G

Postby Lawrence » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:42 pm

Dan G are you talking about Chateau Louis? It has a wonderful selection and I visit there whenever I have the opportunity, I've even stayed at the hotel so I could work my way through their selection in the bar, it was a lot of fun. :D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Dan G » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:59 pm

Lawrence - yes it is Chateau Louis. I've scoured the city, and while places like Superstore are much cheaper (20% on some things), the selection is amazing. Especially now at xmas, they've been stocking up. I don't know enough yet, nor feel that my experience is at the point that I need them, but they have a row of Murray McDavid bottlings in the $225-275 range that are very enticing.

I'm sure if anyone can get me the Duncan Taylor package hpulley mentioned earlier, it would be them. I will inquire on Saturday.
Dan G

Postby Lawrence » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:07 pm

Hi Dan G, I've seen that line up of the Murray McDavid bottling's and I have to say I've had very little happiness with any of their bottlings. :( I finally sold my last two bottles, a Rosebank and a Laphroaig on ebay rather than be disappointed again.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:24 pm

I hope it wasn't a 1989 Murray & McDavid Rosebank, Lawrence...

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:32 pm

Yes, I think it was, I tasted it from another bottle and was quite disappointed.

Ebayed it to a fellow in Texas.

apologies, it was a Lochside, not a Laphroaig.
Last edited by Lawrence on Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:34 pm

Not sure if they had more than one but I quite enjoyed the 1989 11yo Rosebank from them. Tastes differ, of course :)

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder