Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Auchantoshan Three Wood

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Auchantoshan Three Wood

Postby Frodo » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:26 pm

Has anyone out here tried the Auchantoshan Three Wood? If you have, I'd like to know your impressions, as vintages has a limited shipment coming in a couple of weeks. My inclination is to let it go by, but if someone has impressions (positive or negative) I'd like to hear them.

The other thing is the price - C$80. For that, I could get Craggenmore with change, 12yr Ledaig (gordon & Mcphail), Ardbeg 10yr (OB), or Macallan 12yr (OB).

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Tom » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:42 pm

Hello Frodo,
This is the tasting note i wrote after a couple of times tasting it.
Nose: Overall light, sherry, slightly burnt oak, strong cocoa. quite complex.
Taste: Very strong and complex palate, lots of chocolate, very spicy, also fruity with citrus and raisins/dried fruit. It opens immediatly spicy, with a reasonebly hard mouthfeel but then goes over in a oily body with the fruit emerging.towards the finish it becomes slightly smoky with some vanille,anisseed (i dont know the translation of this, in dutch its anijs, im sure a dutch user will be happy to translate),dried fruit and strong oak. a "dark" taste overall.
finish: Very long, oily body turns into somewhat punchy smokiness, hints of sherry come back now and underlying some vanille,warm spyces and dried fruit. bitter-sweet at moments.
Personal opinion: 83% Very complex and not the usual Auchentoshan at all. The different wood types really complement eachother and each one comes back in the taste rather then neutralizing eachother. Overall not my kind of flavor, but something that shines on a tasting table.
I wrote this a year ago but i think its still true. occasionally i still drink this one when going out, its quite special. hope this helps.

ps, the price seems right for the quality to me. i personally find it better then Cragganmore 12, but you cant compare it with the mac or ardbeg in the same price, complete different taste. Knowing a litlle of your taste you probably best taste it in a bar first. This dram isnt one for regular drinking IMHO.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:21 pm

Good points Tom, I quite like the Auchentoshan 3 Wood although I've found it's changed a bit over the last few years. However for C$80 I think it's a great value and I wouldn't hesitate to take it over a Cragganmore, you know the Cragganmore will still be there later.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:48 am

Hi Frodo,

I've only ever had one dram of the Three Wood, about 18 months ago, and I didn't think it was anything special. Nice, but not spectacular, if you know what I mean? Put it this way - if you're going to factor $$ into the equation, well, I didn't think it was worth the price.

But I should also say that I've delved into the Auchentoshan "Select" a few times, and I've been very underwhelmed. So it would be fair to say that I don't have a great opinion of Auchentoshan. (At least the recent OB's, anyway).

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby bond » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:30 am

Am surprised you find the Auchentoshan 3 wood complex, Tom. I could not detect much of it.

In fact I have put down Auchentoshan as one of the more over-rated malts.

Frodo, it might be useful to have an Auchentoshan in the bar as a fairly representative lowlander.. but if the choice boiled down to personal drinking preference, I don't think it can hold a candle to Cragganmore.
bond
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:44 am

Thanks everyone. Great feedback. Much appretiated!!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:35 pm

If complexity means lots of different flavors unfolding, then I think this ranks as complex. Very drinkable too. Also, had the basic 10 yr old recently and was surprised by how nice it was.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder