Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Tullibardine, what say you?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Tullibardine, what say you?

Postby JimHall » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:18 pm

I recently bought a bottle of Tullibardine 1993.
I was very surprised by the smoothness and fruitiness of it. I usually go for peaty malts but found this very pleasant dram.
Any views ????????????

not expensive by the way.
JimHall
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:17 am

Was this an official bottling issued by the distillery, or an independent bottling?

I have two bottles of the OB Tullibardine 10yo, but there's no mention of a vintage year on either bottle.

In any event, I too found it to be a pleasant enough dram, if a little anonymous. If anything stood out, it was a little honeyed, but other than that, it was simply a drinkable Highland malt.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:26 am

OK, cancel that last question...

I just checked out their website, and the 1993 vintage is one of the new releases that the new owners have made available.

My bottles of 10yo come from the days when the distillery was owned by Whyte & Mackay.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:22 am

Hi Jim, I'm glad to hear that you liked the Tullibardine 1993 as I have a bottle but have not yet opened it. I'm waiting to clear up some my open bottle collection and it's taking forever despite my best efforts.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby WestVanDave » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:53 am

Lawrence - sounds like you're throwing down the guantlet - I'll be right over to help you with that collection - and I'm quadruple dog daring Harry to hop a flight from the Centre of the Universe (or at least 50 miles west of...) and any other Canadians up for the challenge... With a crew of twenty or so we can make a significant dent in Lawrence's collection before the year is out... and if we work day & night we might get through it all by the end of January... 2006!!! :lol: :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Dave.

P.S. - If you can hop a flight Admiral, you're invited too!!!
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:50 am

:shock:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby JimHall » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:57 pm

Lawrence
I try to never finish a bottle if I can help it (until I have the same bottle to replace it). Unlike you none of my bottles are unopened.
Crack it open today and give us your verdict.
JimHall
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:11 pm

I fear by the time my flight gets in, Lawrence will already have died from the shock of seeing every other malt drinking Canadian turn up on his doorstep. :)

Still, at least there'll be some quality whisky on hand for his wake! :D

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:05 pm

You have to find me first............ 8)
Lawrence
Matured cask

Where's Lawrence???

Postby WestVanDave » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:02 am

INSTRUCTIONS FOR FINDING LAWRENCE: :idea:

It is no mystery that Lawrence is based in the lovely city of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada - with a population of just over 325,000 (but often awash in tourists)... A town as rich in tradition as our young western-end of this country can muster - most of which is steeped in British culture.

Here are several sure-fire ways to find Lawrence:

Step 1: Locate a liquor store (most are government run, but a few boutique private stores specializing in Single Malts have opened, albeit their supplies are still government controlled) - or locate a traditional Pub.

Step 2: Shout "Hey Lawrence!!!" - at the top of your lungs

Failing that, move on to Step 3: Casually comment - out loud for all to hear:

"Oh my, look at that, free samples of Port Ellen 24" :lol:

Should none of these sly, underhanded methods bear fruit, then return to Step 1 and simply ask the Manager/Proprietor if they have seen "Lawrence - of the Victoria Single Malt Club"... and then follow their guidance...

If all else fails - look for a bagpiper (remember, this is a tourist town - there are plenty to be found) and he (or she) will point you in the right direction.

Total estimated time, upon arrival in Victoria - 15 ~ 20 minutes tops...

Truth is - Lawrence is one of the most gracious hosts in Whiskydom and should all of Canada's (and Australia's) whisky-obsessed arrive for such a party it probably wouldn't phase him...

'Looking forward to the eventual day when we all meet at Lawrence's place (and hoping it isn't for a wake)...

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:10 am

Thanks Dave, kind words indeed although I'm not sure if I shouldn't be asking Matt for a new emoticon, a shocked pair of eyes looking out from under a rock.

However it would be a lot of fun to meet all of you together and I'm sure I could come up with a few bottles to sample.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby WestVanDave » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:22 am

You're more than welcome Lawrence.

No doubt with the aid of this forum and the growing number of Whisky Events worldwide we may all be able to share a wee dram or three eventually. Who knows - maybe we'll all meet at a Whisky Live or other such gathering.

For anyone else interested - The West Coast Whisky Society (based in Vancouver, BC) and the Victoria Single Malt Club (based in Victoria, BC) have made some inroads and have started to frequent each others events - and recently joined forces with a field trip to Calgary for the "Whisky in the Warehouse" evening (along with approximately 800 other whisky-nuts).

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder