Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What is Dun Bheagan Island 8yr old?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

What is Dun Bheagan Island 8yr old?

Postby Frodo » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:37 pm

Does anyone know from what distillery the Dun Bheagan 8yr old Island bottling comes from? Is it (hopefully) Talisker? Highland Park? Or Jura?

Just curious.
Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:12 am

From the Ian MacLeod website:

ISLAND Single Malt - Aged 8 Years
Dun Bheagan Single Malt Island 8 Years Old is among the most distinctive of all malt whiskies. Distilled on one of the islands of the West coast of Scotland, this malt is memorable on account of the strong flavours of peat, iodine and seaweed.

Since they also have an Islay, the west coast designation would seem to narrow it down to Jura, Mull, or Talisker. Sounds like the latter to me, and I seem to have some recollection that that is the case. Jackson sez Macleod makes a blend called Isle of Skye, lending further credence to that possibility. An 8yo unchillfiltered Talisker sounds quite interesting, doesn't it?
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:22 am

http://www.internetwines.com confirms Talisker.
Deactivated Member

Dun Bheagan

Postby KenBeau » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:30 am

Actually, Ian MacLeod is an independent distiller on the same island as Talisker, but it as at the opposite, southern end.

FYI, Dun Bheagan 8YO Islay is one of my personal favorites and one I will seek out for my stocks. Very smoky, tasty and pleasant to my mind.

YMMV however. :D
KenBeau

Postby Tom » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:01 am

Yes, its Talisker.
I quite like the range of Dun Bheagan regional malts. They are all 8Y old but quite good. And if there are fans of the peppery talisker that is now replaced by sweet talisker this is a great tip.
They are all very cheap (+/- 22 Euro) so you cant go wrong for that money.Personally i always have one at home as drink-whisky. i had the talisker, now i have the speyside (glenfarclas) and next will be the islay (lagavulin).
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:19 pm

Is it hard to get? I might try some.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Dun Bheagan

Postby Frodo » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:04 pm

KenBeau wrote:FYI, Dun Bheagan 8YO Islay is one of my personal favorites and one I will seek out for my stocks. Very smoky, tasty and pleasant to my mind.

One of my favourites as well, the 8yr old Islay. :D

I've been reluctant to get another bottle of Talisker OB because (1) I'm trying alot of others, and (2) I've heard about the increase of caramel in the OB. This Dun Bheagan bottling sounds like it might be worth a try!

Thanks all.
Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Tom » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:16 pm

Aidan wrote:Is it hard to get? I might try some.

Here its fairly easy to get. You wont find it in supermarkets but we only have 2 places nearby to buy whisky and they both have it.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:27 pm

Act fast, Frodo. I see 3 bottles at the Scrivener Square store and only 2 more in the province of Dun Bheagan Island at the moment. An Quaich brought some in a while ago too.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:08 pm

I don't know if you can believe the websites that claim to know whats in these. Many say Lagavulin for the Islay when Lagavulin doesn't sell much if any for blending and none for IBs -- I'd be more willing to believe Caol Ila though there is no way to be sure. I'm similarly unsure about the other claims.

The 10yo Talisker OB is not just 10yo whisky -- there is older Talisker in it too. Mystery malts may do the same but I doubt they do much of it -- no 20yos in Dun Bheagan 8yos I bet :)

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Tom » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:22 pm

There is no way to make 100% sure, thats true, but i tell you this, the island is 99% sure a talisker as that is a taste you can only compare to Clynelish and it aint the latter.
As for the speyside im 98% sure its glenfarclas this is what they say about it on the site of ianmcleod:
SPEYSIDE Single Malt - Aged 8 Years
Dun Bheagan Single Malt Speyside 8 Years Old comes from one of the most reputable distilleries of the Speyside region situated on the moors of Ben Rinnes. Speyside, in the North-East of the Highlands, is Scotland's premier distillation region.

Tasting Notes:
Sharp and dry at first, it slowly softens and reveals its sherry wood ageing. A second smoky note precedes long and complex slow revealing aromas. Long and smooth finish.
Now glenfarclas lies at that exact location, combined with the post everywhere it is a glenfarclas and my own tasting notes as a glenfarclas fan im pretty sure about this.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:30 pm

hpulley wrote:Act fast, Frodo. I see 3 bottles at the Scrivener Square store and only 2 more in the province of Dun Bheagan Island at the moment. An Quaich brought some in a while ago too.

Harry

Now I know that geography was never my strong suit, but the province of Dun Bheagan must have been a new addition to our country :wink: :wink: .

Thanks for the heads-up though. I nipped over and got a bottle thanks to your heads-up and Tom's tasting notes. It sounds like a wild young Islay from how Tom describes it. I may not have a Very Young Ardbeg, but this seems a fine replacement. I do confess a weakness for Talisker though. Talisker and Caol Ila, mmmmmm.... :D :D :D

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:25 am

Again, http://www.internetwines.com claims Lagavulin for the Dun Bheagan Islay. I'm going to have to look out for these, don't know if they're available around here.

If I may be picky, KenBeau, Ian Macleod is a bottler, not a distiller. But I'm sure that was a slip of the keyboard.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:40 am

Whatever it is it sounds really good, if I even spot a bottle in my travels I'll grab one.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Frodo » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:53 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Again, http://www.internetwines.com claims Lagavulin for the Dun Bheagan Islay. I'm going to have to look out for these, don't know if they're available around here.

When you come to Toronto, pick up one of these for C$43 at the Summerhill LCBO store. Private Message me before you come, and I'll give you directions to the store. I consider this a really good value for C$43.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Dun Bheagan/Ian McLeod

Postby KenBeau » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:11 am

MrTattieHeid,

actually I wasn't aware of that distinction, so thanks for that info.

Glad to join in the topic of conversation in any event :) .
KenBeau

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:24 am

Frodo wrote:When you come to Toronto, pick up one of these for C$43 at the Summerhill LCBO store. Private Message me before you come, and I'll give you directions to the store. I consider this a really good value for C$43.

Frodo

My ancient Toronto map (Skydome under development...must have a newer one around here somewhere) shows an LCBO outlet on Yonge a couple blocks south of the Summerhill station...am I getting warm?
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:34 pm

Summerhill
Store #10
10 Scrivener Square (Yonge south of St. Clair), Toronto, ON M4W 3Y9
Telephone: 416 922-2924

Try: http://www.lcbo.com/vintages/index.shtml
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:57 pm

Frodo wrote:
hpulley wrote:Act fast, Frodo. I see 3 bottles at the Scrivener Square store and only 2 more in the province of Dun Bheagan Island at the moment. An Quaich brought some in a while ago too.

Harry

Now I know that geography was never my strong suit, but the province of Dun Bheagan must have been a new addition to our country :wink: :wink: .
Frodo

That's "Dun Bheagan Island", Frodo--I think it's the new name for PEI. They have a miniature of Dunvegan Castle at Woodley Replicas, you know. :wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby Frodo » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:09 am

[/quote]
My ancient Toronto map (Skydome under development...must have a newer one around here somewhere) shows an LCBO outlet on Yonge a couple blocks south of the Summerhill station...am I getting warm?[/quote]

Go to Summerhill subway station and out out to Yonge st.. Go south a half-block, on your left side. Ask on the street, anyone will tell you where the nearest liquor store is. If you go under the bridge, you've gone too far,

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:58 am

Frodo said,
I've heard about the increase of caramel in the OB.
when speaking of Talisker.

Whilst OB Talisker 10 has changed significantly, I don't know that it's entirely due to caramel. It is certainly a much sweeter dram, and the pepper has gone missing, but I've found adding spirit caramel tends to kill the life and sparkle out of a whisky, rather than just add sweetness.

I don't know what has been tweaked, added, or subtracted to affect the flavour so pronouncedly, but - my gut feel - is that it's not all caramel.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:33 am

Admiral, my gut feeling is that, as with many brands that undergo some sort of sea change, Talisker is simply dealing with what they have. In other words, it simply became impossible to maintain the flavor profile, because it wasn't in the barrels any longer. Exactly why is a mystery, probably as much to them as to us.

It occurs to me that another possibility is that the recent proliferation of older bottlings may have made some stock unavailable for the basic 10--a lower proportion of older stock changing the profile. But the older stuff tends to be mellower, so that doesn't explain the lack of fire that people are talking about. I have to admit that I lost that peppery edge quite a long time ago, and thought it was me. What's the time frame we're talking about, as far as the supposed change is concerned?
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:10 am

I believe it's happened relatively recently. I noticed it only two or three months ago when I attended a tasting event that cracked open a newly purchased bottle. My last experience with Talisker had been about 18 months prior to that, so - in Australia at least - the bottlings with the sweeter tasting whisky have come into the country at any point in the last two years.

I do not disagree with your thoughts....it could quite possibly be due to issues such as older & younger stock, etc, plus whatever ratio of bourbon versus sherry casks they had available to fill into.

But for peat to disappear? That surely has to be something that's been engineered? Either by changing the peat level specification for the malt, sourcing the water from elsewhere, or......I dunno.

Did they change the shapes of the stills 10-12 years ago? Add a rectifier? Did they suddenly start taking a smaller middle cut?

As with all things concerning the taste of whisky, the number of possibilities and contributing factors is potentially huge.

But you are quite right - they can only dish up what they've got.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Bart » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:02 am

The Dun Bheagan Islay is NOT an Lagavullin, but you on the right Island for a start... :D

The DB Island is salty enough for a Talisker and better that the distillery bottling, and for a far better price.
Bart

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder