Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Looking for a good whisky pub in Sydney

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Looking for a good whisky pub in Sydney

Postby devotiondoubt » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:57 pm

I'm traveling to Sydney next week and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on good pubs. In particular any with a good selection of Islay's.
Thanks
devotiondoubt

Postby Admiral » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:10 pm

Aaaagghhhh!

Here am I, Sydney's representative on these pages, and I missed this thread!! :cry:

Looking at the date you posted this, I guess I'm too late to reply. Still, I hope you found a decent pub with a decent line up of whiskies.

If you did, can you let me know where? :wink:

(I have yet to find a single pub in Sydney that stocked more than Glenfiddich or Glenlivet).

There are snobby hotel bars in the city that stock a few decent malts, but (a) they're bloody expensive, and (b) hardly a nice pub-like environment.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:29 pm

Admiral, maybe it was Sydney in Cape Breton Canada? :wink:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:08 am

Lawrence wrote:Admiral, maybe it was Sydney in Cape Breton Canada? :wink:

If it was, God bless him.... Surely you heard the tale of the British woman who booked what she thought was a trip to Sydney, Australia. You can guess what happened--suffice it to say that an incompetent travel agent was involved. But the story goes that the Cape Bretoners caught wind of her plight and took her under their collective wing, and showed her the time of her life. Having spent some time in Cape Breton, I can fair believe it--great people, and great musicians. In one of history's great coincidences, the descendants of cleared Highlanders live in a land that split from the Scottish Highlands umpty million years ago. Their ancestors surely knew nothing of plate tectonics.

I've stopped several times at the Glenora distillery for rest stops, but haven't tried any of their product since a too-early bottling that reminded me of jet fuel. Anybody had it lately?

Admiral, I thought you were going to direct the poor fellow to the airport and a flight to Glasgow....
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:11 am

The airport for Victoria is in Sidney, note the spelling difference and every once in a while somebody shows up here when they were trying to reach one of the other two Sydney's.
Last edited by Lawrence on Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:03 am

Ship them back in a Sydney Carton.

It was the best of puns, it was the worst of puns. No, it was just the worst. Sorry!
Deactivated Member

Postby Ed » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:56 pm

Hello All,
Hello Mr TattieHeid,
Good puns are, by definition, bad.
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder