Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What is your most recent (whisky) purchase.

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby Scotchio » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:03 am

A mini bottle of 27 yr old Glenlochy from cadenheads distilled around 1958. Should be interesting. :D
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:45 pm

Got a delivery today

Ardbeg Almost There 54.1%
Balblair 26yo 46%
Lagavulin 1990 16yo DE 43%alc

Can't wait to open these 8)
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:13 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:Got a delivery today

Ardbeg Almost There 54.1%
Balblair 26yo 46%
Lagavulin 1990 16yo DE 43%alc

Can't wait to open these 8)

Sounds good IWC is that the new bottling Balblair. If it is what do you think of the packaging?

:)
les taylor

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:22 pm

Jonathan dropped by after having visited Scotland and brought with him Kilchoman new make and a mini of Royal Lochnagar. The Kilchoman smelled like WOW!!! Cannot wait to taste it this weekend!
Thanks Jonathan :D
Mr Fjeld

Postby ccrank.freeserve.co.uk » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:03 pm

aberlour 10 Ardbeg Almost There ,Bowmore 17 .Shop had in Compass Box Flaming Heart for £39.99 was tempted.Has anyone tried it?
ccrank.freeserve.co.uk

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:53 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:Jonathan dropped by after having visited Scotland and brought with him Kilchoman new make and a mini of Royal Lochnagar. The Kilchoman smelled like WOW!!! Cannot wait to taste it this weekend!
Thanks Jonathan :D

Always a pleasure to share whisky with friends that truly appreciate and enjoy it!!!
Di Blasi

Postby Cam » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:19 am

We have just returned from a trip out of Province. Visited our son who lives now in Lethbridge Alberta. A 1200 km drive one way but a good time.
Alberta brings in a greater variety of single malts than does B.C.

Came home with: Murray McDavid Glenlossie 1993

Benromach 'Traditional'

The next are available in B.C. but less expensive in Alta:

Bowmore 12yo

Bruichladdie 15yo

Looking forward to trying these.

As an aside, my son offered up a few drams of Johnnie Walker Green Label 15yo with dinner one evening. A first for me, very enjoyable.

Cam
Cam

Postby MGillespie » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:39 pm

Have been in Lethbridge...nice little town.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Jan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:25 pm

I was in London these past days and of course managed to bring home a few bottles :D

First a quick visit to The Whisky Exchange (Vinopolis), where a wee taste persuaded me to try a bottle of Benriach 20yo. Were tempted by some older ones as well, but for once let good sense prevail.

I also picked up two Port Ellens (I believe now is the time to stock up, as prices will probably rise.) An OB 2nd release and my second bottle of a favourite; the G&M Cask Strength. 60,7%

Also found the 17yo OB cask strength Cragganmore, which I have been curious about for a long time – really looking forward to trying this one.

And lastly a few 5cl minis; The Arran Malt 10yo, Glendronach 15yo, Royal Lochnagar 12yo and Glenfarclas 25yo.

Because of the no liquids in handluggage restrictions, :evil: I had to stop here, as my suitcase was bursting at the seams.

At Stanstead World of Whisky, I had planned on buying one or two cheapish everyday malts but alas: fate conspired to twart this noble plan: The first sight meeting my eyes was a half price sale on the old line Balblair 26yo. I have never tried it, but at £45 it seemed to good to miss. And behold: on a shelf the Balblair 38yo, that I have heard praised here and elsewhere. And while the £120 pricetag put me well over my budget for this trip, I simply could’nt miss this chance and of course picked up a bottle. :D

I also fell for a Signatory Clynelish 1983 – should’nt have really, but could’nt help myself.

And now I’m back home – very much richer in the golden drops – very much poorer in cash – but very happy with my new purchases.

8) :D :oops:
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:42 pm

Oh, money well spend Jan :D
Mr Fjeld

Postby suffolkwhisky » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:57 pm

Just been on a recent trip tp Scotland - which was fantastic. Don't usually contributre stuff like this but I'll probably not be buying anything for ages!! Should also be fairly obvious which distilleries I visited too:
Glenturret 8
Famous Grouse Famous Oak
Aberfeldy 12
Tullibardine 1966 World Cup
Tullibardine 1973
Dalwhinnie 15
Mortlach F&F
Dailuaine F&F
Glenmorangie Speakeasy
Clynelish 14
Clynelish DE
Old Pulteney 12
Old Pulteney Single Barrel
Talisker 30
Ben Nevis 10
Auchentoshan QEII
Springbank 9 Rumwood
Springbank 14 Bourbon
Glengoyne Ewan's Choice

Had this odd compulsion to buy something from every distillery, which is not a disease I usually suffer from. Also managed to try the majority of them before purchase - and quite a few more drams in various bars in Glasgow.

My bank manager (or the wife) will catch up with me soon...but at least I now have a few more bottles to ease the pain.
suffolkwhisky

Postby Scotchio » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:58 pm

Some real treats there from the comments I remember from others on the forum. Nice one Jan and good to see you back on the boards again.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:39 pm

suffolkwhisky wrote:Had this odd compulsion to buy something from every distillery, which is not a disease I usually suffer from. Also managed to try the majority of them before purchase - and quite a few more drams in various bars in Glasgow.

My bank manager (or the wife) will catch up with me soon...but at least I now have a few more bottles to ease the pain.

Sounds like a really fantastic trip you had there! And quite some gems to savour in the coming months, I should think :wink:

How was the distillery tours - any shining stars or foul disapointments?

Scotchio wrote:Some real treats there from the comments I remember from others on the forum. Nice one Jan and good to see you back on the boards again.

Jan
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:55 am

Bowmore 17 ..... I may try to pick up another to keep (I'll drink this one at some point).... a tad expensive but..... :)
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:21 pm

les taylor wrote:...... is that the new bottling Balblair. If it is what do you think of the packaging?

Not on your life ..... pay an extra 30quid for a bottle that is a year or 2 older you must be joking :lol: :lol:

No I got the old 26yo as I think they are great value. I have had a 29yo before and remembered it was a cracking dram so I decided to get one before they only have the new packaging one in stock. I know cheap skate :mrgreen:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby mithril » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:50 am

Picked up a bottle of Benromach Traditional on the way home from work today. I think it may have been one of the "premium" (or rare) scotches that the BCLC brings in once a year as it's marked as a 70cl bottle and lacks the french copy of the label that all bottles produced specifically for the CDN market are required to have. Quite a nice light after work kind of dram.
Last edited by mithril on Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mithril
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:20 am

mithril wrote:Picked up a bottle of Benromach Traditional on the way home from work today. I think it may have been one of the "premium" (or rare) scotches that the BCLC brings in once a year as it's marked as a 70cl bottle and lacks the french copy of the label that all bottles produced specifical for the CDN market are required to have. Quite a nice light after work kind of dram.

I think it may be the original bottling that was imported in 2005(?), I don't believe there was a second batch brough into BC. The G&M reps in BC (G&M own Benromach remember) have just given up and given the whole market to all the other independants. They choose to focus on beer and wine.

Either way it's a great dram, enjoy it.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby mithril » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:09 am

Lawrence wrote:I think it may be the original bottling that was imported in 2005(?), I don't believe there was a second batch brough into BC. The G&M reps in BC (G&M own Benromach remember) have just given up and given the whole market to all the other independants. They choose to focus on beer and wine.

Either way it's a great dram, enjoy it.

Lawrence

I certainly am so far. There's 13 (well I guess now 12) bottles listed in the BCLC inventory according to their website, the majority of which are at the Jericho location at 4th and Alma. based on what you're saying I may have to pick up another bottle against the future what with dwindling stock, not too badly priced and all that.
mithril
Bronze Member

Postby parvus » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:51 am

Picked up a bottle of Benriach 1986, single cask (peated) OB. Not quite what I was expecting, but a nice drop.
parvus
Silver Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:20 am

Matt I hope your not mad with me. I was talking to a friend last weekend who told me he was flying to Cairo on Monday and coming back Wednesday. He very kindly stopped at Heathrow and got me a Litre bottle of liquid gold nectar.

I am so happy. :D :D

P.s. MR T I managed to get one. :wink:
les taylor

Postby IainB » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:55 am

YES! Bottle of Thomas H. Handy Sezerac Rye (66.35%) just arrived. Tonight's going to be a Rye night!
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:08 pm

les taylor wrote:..... Heathrow .... Litre bottle of liquid gold nectar.

Is that the cask strength stuff or the inbetweeny 48% variety, Les?
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:09 pm

My latest is a box of 16 minis of various malts which I haven't tried before. Some are just there out of curiosity and others because I might just buy a full bottle if I like the mini...
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:16 pm

Popped into Oddbins yesterday to buy some stock for the cupboard , A couple of AAT's and a ANB , bargain malts all ! Almost managed to get one up on the usually smug staff who think you know bugger all about what your buying , those in the know will be able to work it out......
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:29 pm

yesterday on my travels i bought a royal lochnagar rare malts 30yo and i also found a shop that still had three bottle of ardbeg very young left at £27.50 a bottle, obviously i bought all three of them :wink:

what i did find yesterday however was a shop that still has one bottle of pc5 left @ £100 :shock:
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:57 pm

vitara7 wrote:yesterday on my travels i bought a royal lochnagar rare malts 30yo and i also found a shop that still had three bottle of ardbeg very young left at £27.50 a bottle, obviously i bought all three of them :wink:

what i did find yesterday however was a shop that still has one bottle of pc5 left @ £100 :shock:

Wow V7 the Ardbeg's where a steal. Did you buy the PC5?

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:01 pm

Mustardhead wrote:
les taylor wrote:..... Heathrow .... Litre bottle of liquid gold nectar.

Is that the cask strength stuff or the inbetweeny 48% variety, Les?

Mustardhead it is the 48%. Boy it is a handsome beast. Only £34.99 at Heathrow.
les taylor

Postby vitara7 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:04 pm

no i didnt buy the pc5 @ £100 les, i allready have one and its not one i plan on opening to need to replace.
its the last shop i know of that still has one in stock if anyones still looking for one.
they are going for more on ebay i guess so someone might score out of it.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:01 am

I'm so weak. It was such a nice day out, I decided to unhole myself for a little while and take a walk. In the course of this walk, I passed a liquor store. In this liquor store I saw a bottle of Redbreast 12. My appetite wet after reading the recent discussion on pure pot stills, I couldn't not buy it. So I did (after talking myself out of the Glenlivet 15).

And right now I'm vastly enjoying the sweet smoothness of my purchase.
shoganai
Silver Member

At the LC in Fort today

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:23 am

For the 1000th post, here goes:
I've not been shopping as we're busy with a house purchase, today I weakened. Stopped by the Fort LC, after picking up some laminate flooring for the new house in "The Falls", to let Grant know about the "Islays on the Island" tasting for the first weekend in June. Turns out we share the same birthday, however I digress...

... 1)Alberta Premium Limited Edition 25 year old, on sale for $29.95 plus .20 deposit. It's on sale as they haven't changed the bottle, just the cannister.
2) Bushmills Black Bush @ $36.15 plus .20 deposit. This having received good comments from respected forummers, I finally acquired one.

The Province of Ontario is paying a deposit of .10 to .20 dependant on the size of the alcohol bottle when you turn them back in. (At the "Beer Store" but that's been dealt with in an earlier posting). It now shows up in the purchase price as a separate entry. Prior to this, the shelf price included the taxes when you purchased at the LCBO. Due to the new legislation, the deposit now appears added on after taxes.

Wish it was a more eloquent post but you gotta work with what ya got, eh?
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:32 am

way to go MP on 1k!!!!

interestingly enough I recently bought the AP 25 & Blackbush (I opened the BB a few days ago and it's a fine dram, nicely layered and tastey for a blend).... I put the AP away as I have one opened atm, definately worth the $30 Canadian.... different than SM but something to try for sure...
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:37 am

killerwhale wrote:way to go MP on 1k!!!!
Interestingly enough I recently bought the AP 25 & Blackbush (I opened the BB a few days ago and it's a fine dram, nicely layered and tastey for a blend).... I put the AP away as I have one opened atm, definately worth the $30 Canadian.... different than SM but something to try for sure...

Killerwhale: Thanks very much, I really didn't want to make that next post and have delayed it for several days.
Now it's I following your lead, see what you've done to me? By example, you've expanded my hunting territory to include Canadian and Irish now. Thank you.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:08 am

My most recent purchase £5 off in Sainsbury's reduced down to £21.99.

les taylor

Postby hpulley » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:32 pm

I got a Frodo alert of Glenmorangie Artisan Cask on sale so I picked one up yesterday. Stupid box, BTW -- I always save my whisky boxes but this one is such a pain that I just threw it out and hid the bottle in a cupboard so light wouldn't taint it (but not before I opened it too).

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:32 pm

just back from morrisions with a balblair 16yo
vitara7
Double Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder