Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Laphroaig quarter cask

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

If a FOL, and an entrant, did you get the chance to buy?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes : 25
Related whiskies : Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Laphroaig quarter cask

Postby mr_a_non » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:13 pm

Inspiration was taken from another thread. For those of you that don't know, to be able to buy a bottle of this whisky you had to be a Friend of Laphroaig (FOL) and enter a draw.
mr_a_non

Postby Tom » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:23 pm

nope, i was one of the first to enter in the book thing, (the morning it came online) but so far nothing.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:54 pm

I missed the chance and I even increased my chances by having some of my non whisky drinking friends register 8) but no luck.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:59 am

No such luck on my part either!
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:35 am

I think the offical release is going to happen soon so with any luck we'll be able to buy it our local markets.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:18 pm

But is it going to be a global release? From what I've ascertained, Australia and Canada don't always seem to be on the receiving end of what is generally available in the UK. :(
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby jplu2 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:37 pm

Thankfully I was one of the lucky ones and the bottle should be winging its way to me as we speak! :D
jplu2

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:01 pm

Theres going to be a global release...

And boy, this is a niiice Laphroaig! Had the chance to sample some, and also sent some to a few of the regular tatsing note submitters, of which you can find the tatsing notes here: http://www.peatfreak.com/Cnt.php?search ... ig+quarter
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby robs42 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:29 pm

Sorry the poll is now inaccurate, but I now have the great pleasure of being a purchaser of Laphroaig Quater Cask. Some people must have been chosen then decided not to buy.
robs42

Postby hrafn » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:54 pm

I recieved my bottle today. :)
To tell you the truth, I wasn't even sure if it was possible to
ship a bottle to Sweden through regular mail.
I had almost given up since it took about 1½ weeks longer than expected.

I also joined this community today.

Greetings from Hrafn
hrafn

Postby Lawrence » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:15 pm

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your bottle! Let us know your thoughts on it.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hrafn » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:52 pm

Thanks Lawrence,

I'll let you know as soon as I've had the first dram.

Hrafn
hrafn

Postby mace » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:11 pm

Yep :D I got a rather late email from Laphroaig asking if I wanted to buy a bottle......Well Dohhhh :roll:
It to arrived a few days ago, and luckily slipped through the greedy fingers :twisted: of the Swedish customs :lol: :lol:

Current laws (or the interpretation of the same :evil: ) makes it illegal to bring alcoholic beverages into Sweden from the EU, except when bringing it across the border in person :shock:

If it was sent as a present from someone OUTSIDE the EU, it would be ok to recieve a litre of whisky as long as it costs less than 500 SEK/£38 AND you pay tax at £20/litre pure alcohol.

Go Figure !!! :? :?

So it seems that we escaped having the nectar confiscated and perhaps fined
Might make it taste extra good I guess :D

Can't open it Yet as it is a bithday present for my dear Wife, nine more days...........

All the BEST,
Magnus

A nice little saving of 85 SEK/£6.5
mace

Postby pam b » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:42 pm

I took part in a masterclass at whisky live Glasgow where we tasted 10 yr, 10 yr cask, 15 yr, 30 yr, and the new 1/4 cask.
I have to admit that after the cask strength and the 30 the 1/4 cask came next in terms of taste.
pam b

Postby hrafn » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:38 pm

Hmmmm....

Smells from vanilla and a slight touch of stable.
At first it tastes a bit like a Swedish moore on a hot summer afternoon.
Then it really takes a bite and kicks for a short while.
The finish has a long remaining taste of oak and Russian leather.
:D
I keep the empty glass by the bed so I'll be greated by the vanishing aroma in the morning :wink:

hrafn
hrafn

Postby Ize » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:39 pm

I had my first tastings at Easter. And I must say that at this point I consider normal 10yo and 15yo bottlings better, I might have a flu coming so I will make more tastings later on, but still ... I feel bit disappointed.
No age statement marked on the bottle which along the freshness in the taste make me wonder how young in fact this whisky is. I wish they have had used quarter casks for the whole short(?) maturation process, maybe that would have done the difference. :?
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:09 pm

It is 5 to 6 year old, and its finished in those casks, not entire maturation period.

I already said it before in this thread, but I think this is one of the best Laphroaig's in my tatsingnotes (link to my tatsing note was given before in this thread as well (and there are 3 other notes form others there as well)).

You really should give it another well respected try later on.
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Ize » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:33 pm

I made retasting last weekend and yes, Quarter Cask is better when I got rid of the "bad nose". It is as good or just slightly better than 10yo (which I prefer over 15yo) but I still feel it suffers from young age and there is potential behind all the freshness. I think two to four years more in the quarter cask could make a big difference.

Anyway, not a bad whisky at all. :)
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:37 pm

I think the fresh wood of the quartercasks would dominate too much if it had an extra few years instead of 'just' a finish...
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Ize » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:51 am

Ah, that's true Jeroen. Fresh sherry casks, for instance, give usually way too much of a taste.

Maybe more aging in the "original" casks and then the same finish time. ;-)
Ize
Silver Member

Quarter Cask not going to be unique?

Postby akallio » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:48 pm

From the survey posted to Quarter Cask purchasers one can easily infer that Laphroaig is really thinking about adding QC to their normal line of products.

What was missing from the survey was a question like:
"If we made Quarter Cask available from your local supermarket, would you feel a bit cheated?"
Strongly Agree - Agree - Disagree - Strongly Disagree - Don't Know

:wink:
akallio

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:37 pm

I can't remember how much I paid for my advance bottle of QC, but I am sure it was more than Oddbins are selling it for now, and I had to pay postage on top of that. It didn't even have different packaging to indicate that it was one of the first bottles.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:38 pm

Oddbins now selling Quarter Cask at just over twenty quid a bottle. Definitely feel cheated. I am one of Laphroaig's oldest friends, I'll have them know... :evil:
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:42 pm

If I remember correctly the plan was to offer it first in duty free and for the FOL's and then when they had enough stocks to offer it in general retail. It's GBP 26.00 on the website but does that include shipping?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:29 pm

Hey, Nick, you got it first. Right mean of you to feel "cheated" because others got what you got, too! :P
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:43 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Hey, Nick, you got it first. Right mean of you to feel "cheated" because others got what you got, too! :P

No - it was billed as a one off experimental bottling at a special price for friends. I can't remember what I paid for it (plus postage), but since it is now in every Oddbins in town at £20.99 with free tasters for all, it hardly looks like a special price on a limited edition bottling. As for getting it first, big deal. I still haven't opened it and I have many other unopened whiskies, all patiently waiting their turn. The fact that it has so quickly saturated the shelves suggests that Laphroaig must have known they were going to do this, so I think they must have been tapping their friends for a few extra quid. Do we even know that they limited the advance bottles to 1000 - I haven't heard of any unsatisfied customers and the Laphroaig website seemed to welcome new offers for bottles even after dispatching the 1000.

I have no problem in buying the same whiskies as others - I have many standard bottlings - but I do object to paying premium prices and postage for what I can get cheaper on my doorstep.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:03 am

Lawrence wrote:If I remember correctly the plan was to offer it first in duty free and for the FOL's and then when they had enough stocks to offer it in general retail. It's GBP 26.00 on the website but does that include shipping?

No, it doesn't include shipping. The shipping costs are also very high, in fact, twice as much as the Lagavulin was charging for shipping.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:00 pm

Point taken, Nick--no offense meant. Just standard Mr T babbling.
Deactivated Member

Postby karlejnar » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:48 pm

Hi Nick

I'm feeling a bit cheated too - but I opened my bottle and it's nearly empty now. What can you say - it's expensive to be a pioneer :wink:

My bottle was even more expensive since on top of the posting I had to pay danish duty :(

It's a nice whisky afterall - and I will call in at Oddbins when visiting Scotland the next couple of months from Monday :D
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:21 pm

My brother picked me up a liter bottle in Gatwick duty free and it cost GBP35.00 but at least I have one now. I just have to find the courage to open it!
Lawrence
Matured cask

Related whiskies : Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder