Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glen Moray

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Glen Moray

Postby Admiral » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:11 pm

One of the supermarket-run liquor store chains here had a healthy supply of Glen Moray no-age-statement, of the "mellowed in chardonnay" variety. I quite enjoyed it as a pre-dinner dram.

I returned to the chain today to find that the chardonnay bottles have gone, but replaced with just a plain NAS. It was a remarkably cheap bottling - $36, which is cheaper than JW Black.

Anyone tried this recently? Is it an improvement on the chardonnay finish?

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:06 pm

That's the new Glen Moray Admiral, they replace the Chardonay and the Chenin Blanc Finish.

I tasted them last year in early Summer time at the distillery together with Ed Dodson(distillery manager). I must say that the new wood policy is doing well. I found all three versions("Classic"[8Y old], 12Y old and the 16Y old) quite good and attractive, but most of all not very expensive for a reasonable quality malt whisky.

Cheers,

Erik
Deactivated Member

glen moray

Postby richard » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:09 pm

hi admiral this bottle is availiable here in england about £15.00 very similar to the norm a bit more sherry than the old bottlings slightly creamy easy drinking quite mature not as light as the old 16 year old or as oaky there some old whisky there nothing to be afraid off enjoy i drank it so quickly i didnt really look for the nose

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby dhines » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:57 pm

Hi Admiral
agreed this bottle in England is available for very cheap in some supermarkets. Have even seen it at under £20 for litre at Christmas. Have tried this in the distillery and found it quite nice before dinner. At the shop at the distillery they sell different ages of the malt. But I found the Chardonney bottling the best for an inpromtue gathering of friends who do not yet have the palet for more robust bottlings of the islands. Owned by the Glenmorangie company who also produce Ardbeg. Try this for an after dinner malt with a cigar....mmmm
dhines

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:16 am

If you still can find him, try the 17Y old Portwood from Glen Moray. A massive fruity dram, delicious. Never tasted anything like that. Matured in ex-bourbon barrels for 7 years and then transferred to ex-port pipes for a further 10 years. Price around 40GBP.

Cheers,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:47 am

It's supposed to be introduced here but it's taking forever, I'm had Glen Moray a few times and have always enjoyed it.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:30 am

It is Lawrence, very nice stuff indeed and a very good beginners malt aswell. But it keeps me comming back for more Glen Moray, everywhere I go I try to catch a Glen Moray there were possible.

I still got a bottle of 12Y old Chenin Blanc Finish left and a 16Y old Chardonay Finish left on stock.

Cheers,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:34 pm

Last October I had a Glen Moray that was bottled privately in the early 1990's. I can't remember how old it was, but I think it was in its early teens.

In any event, I was astounded at how creamy it was. And an overwhelming sense of vanilla in both nose and palate. It almost tasted like creaming soda. Delicious!

I've always had a soft spot for Glen Moray. It's probably the neglected sibling in the Glenmorangie PLC stable, but it seems to produce perfectly good whiskies at very good prices.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder