Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Suntory 12 year old single malt - have you tried it?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Suntory 12 year old single malt - have you tried it?

Postby williammackinnon » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:19 pm

Just had a couple of drams of this at the local whisky bar. It's certainly an easy drinking whisky, but maybe TOO easy to drink for some people's pallet. I certainly didn't feel my tastebuds being challenged as it went down.

However, considering this whisky is Japanese affects my rating of it. For them to produce a whisky of this standard is commendable indeed. In fact, I dare say I would purchase a bottle of this in the future to add to my collection. I feel it would be a good one to entice beginners with.

p.s. I think it was "Yamazaki Single Malt 12"on the label, but I noticed another bottle of Suntory at the bar which had a very similar label, 12 year old single malt, but the word "PURE" took prominence on the label. Does anyone know what the difference between these two are?
williammackinnon

Postby Admiral » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:05 am

Suntory is a company and brand name, but not the name of a distillery.

If it was Suntory Single Malt, then the distillery it comes from is unknown. (A bit like Glentromie Single Malt in Scotland......there's no such distillery as Glentromie, the malt could come from anywhere).

Suntory do release blends and vatted (or pure) malts under their name, so this is quite likely.

Alternatively, the Yamazaki Single Malt would have come from the Yamazaki distillery. Recent releases from this distillery have attracted very favourable reviews, not least from the Whisky Magazine staff.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby patrick dicaprio » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:14 am

I tried it at WhiskyFest 2004 and it was very good but I didnt think it was great.

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Suntory malts

Postby Pete Reek » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:32 am

The Scotch Malt Whisky Society also bottled a series of casks last year from both of Suntory's Single Malt distilleries- Yamazaki and Hakushu.
I think the local SMWS branch over here is sold out, but there may still be a few bottles available overseas?

Kanpai!

Pete.
Pete Reek

Postby Lawrence » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:33 pm

I had the SMWS Yamazaki 119.2 57.4% distilled June 1979 and aged 24 years and matured in Japanese oak. Color, polished mahogany, nose was peat, sherried with caramel and orange. A full body and the palate was both smooth and viscous with some pepper sweet notes. The finish was light with a bit of peat and smoke.

A very nice dram.
:)
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:14 am

MJ sez Glentromie is a vatted malt, a release of Drumguish apparently to generate cash flow whilst their own stocks (dating only from 1991) matured. I had a Glentromie 17 at Hurley's Irish Pub in Montreal, courtesy of Bill Hurley (thanks, Bill), and frankly don't remember if it was a single or a vatting, but do recall that it was lousy (not your fault, Bill, it was worth the try, anyway). Must have some Bowmore in it!
Deactivated Member

Suntory

Postby rymon » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:51 am

Suntory releases a number of Whiskies, the one i have is Suntory Hakushu 12 yr. I'll keep the image big so you can see the label clearly, hopefully its not too big:

As you can see the Hakushu listing is very small... and laid out rather different than your typical Scotch label. The name of the Company, Suntory (A huge company!) is large, with the distillery, Hakushu, much smaller.

A really fine whisky, sound like the one you're discribing. To me its somewhat like Glenmorangie, with a hint of peat... it has that fruitiness.

Next time you see the bottle, take a closer look... I got this one from Royal Mile Whiskies in London, UK, a friend picked it up for me.
rymon

Re: Suntory 12 year old single malt - have you tried it?

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:51 pm

williammackinnon wrote:........ However, considering this whisky is Japanese affects my rating of it. For them to produce a whisky of this standard is commendable indeed. In fact, I dare say I would purchase a bottle of this in the future to add to my collection. I feel it would be a good one to entice beginners with.

Don't take this the wrong way as it is not meant as a personal rebuke but I think you are being a small bit prejudiced towards the Japanesse whiskies. Japanesse whiskey is on a par with Scotch in quality and taste and not a grade below. You have some great Japanesse expressions but the problem is trying to decypher what is what. Just like you have some great scotch expressions and then others which are not very interesting so do the Japanesse. Jim Murray has even suggested that the Japanesse may be producing some of the best whiskies in the world for the future after seeing their approach to whiskey making and tasting what they already have on offer. Dismiss them at your peril :wink: Problem is we do not get a decent selection and the ones we do are highly priced. :x So from that point of view it is probably hard to make a definitive judgement.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

High Quality of Japanese Whisky

Postby rymon » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:45 pm

There is no doubt in my mind that these Japanese Whiskies are superior in quality to many of the Scotch's on the market, even some of the very popular and respected brands! In a blind taste test, I seriously doubt many could call a certain dram as being Japanese instead of Scotch.

The Japanese are like this in everything... if they are going to do something, they will do it RIGHT!

I can't speak for all of the Japanese whiskies, but the ones I've tried, they need no extra points for being from Japan. They can stand on their own.

If you still disagree, and you're in the neighbourhood, stop by. I'll gladly share a dram of my Hakushu 12yo with you anytime... and I'd be really surprised if anyone could look me in the eye and tell me that it doesn't measure up, even after just one sip... :D
rymon

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:55 pm

No offence rymon but can you please reduce the pixel size to an appropriate level? It's tiring to scroll sideways to read :wink:

Anyway, I agree with your answer. The Japaneese have a great ability to do things right - including whisky!

Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Ooops

Postby rymon » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:11 pm

Sorry guys, I have my resolution WAY high... didn't look that big to me.

Is there anyone in NY State, or in states that can ship to NY that know of other brands than Yoichi available?
rymon

Postby bond » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:36 am

I have had a Suntory ("yamazaki distillery") for a while. Since Japanese whiskies are hard to come by, I never drank this by myself but handed over drams to guests as an example of Japanese whisky.

I finished the bottle yesterday and the last few drams were disgusting. As has been discussed to death on the forum, certain whiskies are more prone to the effects of oxidation.

Suntory clearly is very vulnerable. Knock it back as soon as you can after opening the bottle.

Cheers
bond
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:55 am

Here the LCBO staff calls them 'Japanese scotch' which is wrong (the Scotch Whisky Association would go to town) but that is the closest thing. It's Japanese Whisky. Nikka Yoichi is the only brand I've tried, both the 10yo and 12yo. I found the 10yo more interesting but neither one made me want to run out and buy a bottle (call me prejudiced but I prefer stuff from Scotland). They are almost reasonably priced (around my $10/year maximum rule). I like the concept of using Japanese malt, water, and oak which is unlike some other whiskies for which the only local component is the water.

Recently I've been staring at a couple of bottles which are for someone else and they make me want one of my own so I may pick up a 10yo. The bottle and box are really nice packaging. I never save bottles or boxes (well, sometimes my wife saves nice boxes before they go in the trash) but this one I might save if I buy one.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder