Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Tasting- 100 proof malts 2.5.12 Edinburgh

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Tasting- 100 proof malts 2.5.12 Edinburgh

Postby jmrl » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:22 pm

The next tasting is scheduled to have a theme. I've been toying with the idea of comparing official 15yo malts:- Glenfarclas, Glendronach, Springbank, Glenfiddich and Bowmore - although Balvenie single cask would ideally be in the line up it's just not as simple to source. However I think we'll go for 5 original bottlings at 100 proof, almost certainly:-

Arran, Springbank, Longrow

But then I'm struggling. Glenfarclas 105 perhaps, it appears there is a travel retail exclusive Bowmore and I saw a Macallan when I was at the distillery but that was a while ago. Can anybody think of others? Laphroaig stopped quite a while ago.

cheers

PS finding the Macnabb's blend has turned out to be the biggest challenge yet.
jmrl
Gold Member

Re: Tasting- 100 proof malts 2.5.12 Edinburgh

Postby jmrl » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:42 pm

Decision made:-

5 15yo drams, we've done vertical official 30yo, 25yo and 21yo tastings and a compare and contrast official/independant 18yo tasting so this should round of the series.:-

Glenfarclas

Springbank

Balvenie

Glendronach

Bowmore Darkest

£20/17 Thursday 2nd May 7.30 at the Kilderkin with the potential of a mystery dram...the 100 proof tasting will be put on hold until the stock can be sourced. A rum tasting in the pipeline as we've just bottled 5: Jamaican 30yo, Demerara 10yo, Cuba 21yo, Panama 15yo and Trinidad 21yo. Then a Campbeltown tasting at the end of the month (30th) the two new Kilkerrans - one Bourbon cask matured and a sherry cask matured, Campbeltown Loch 21yo blend, Longrow 18yo and the latest Springbank Society bottling 15yo Madiera wood.

The Best of Cadenheads No.2 is shaping up for the Wednesday 8th May for Steffen and the boys coming down from Speyside- probably the Bourbon for the cask in the London shop, Glencraig 31yo, Royal Brackla sherry cask 20yo, Bowmore 12yo and then another couple of bottles yet to be confirmed as well as price.
jmrl
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder