Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

OT-Heads up for George T Stagg fans

All your whisky related questions answered here.

OT-Heads up for George T Stagg fans

Postby KenBeau » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:50 pm

I just heard last night from a retail source who was helping me with trying to find a bottle of George T. Stagg that the product is being DISCONTINUED :shock: :cry:

This gent works at the Beverages and More! store here in Modesto, CA, and while he was able to pull up on computer which stores in the chain MIGHT have a bottle, all indications are there is to be no more of that heavenly George T. Stagg.

Now, maybe that means for this year no more is to be shipped, as I realize Stagg is a very small batch bourbon, and last year the Bevmo! chain received only 3 bottles for ALL of Califonia. HOWEVER, this might also mean Stagg is to no more be produced, ever :!:

I'm not entirely sure which is the case, and I do hope it's the former, but I figured I'd let anyone else who has found the yummy-goodness that is Stagg know about my experience.

Hopefully for me I'll have in my clutches a bottle this week.

Carry on,
Ken
KenBeau

Postby bamber » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:05 am

Surely it just means this years release is finished. I had to ask for a bottle about 6 months before the release date to get any, and apparently the whole of Europe's allocation went to the UK.

It was so hard to get this year, I was hoping it might be easier next year. Fingers crossed next year will be a bumper batch.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Ed » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:20 pm

Hello All,
Oh! Say it ain't so! I haven't had any yet!
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:45 pm

How much is it for a bottle?
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bamber » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:13 pm

In the UK, you usually pay between £90 and £150. It's around $40 in the US.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:20 pm

Quite a markup. I'd prefer to pay the U.S. price to the U.K. one, needless to say. I'll have to do a bit of research.

Can you get the Sazerac on this side of the pond? How much is that? I'd like to have some.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bamber » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:35 am

Sazerac is quite widely available - ranging from around £50 - £80. drinkfinder.co.uk and thewhiskyexchange.com, both have it at £60. A fantastic whisky well worth trying.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Just picked up my Stagg...

Postby KenBeau » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:16 am

The bad news is the allocation for this year is done, ain't no more to be had.

The good news is there will be another allocation next year, so I'm sorry for my "Chicken Little" impression that started this thread.

I paid $45 US for my bottle of Stagg, and while I was at the store picking up that bttle, I couldn't let it go home ALONE, so I threw a bottle of Lagavulin OB, Redbreast, White Horse 12 YO (something new to try for me ) AND the snack-size Cabo Wabo Reposado into the basket before checking out, plus two bottles of water for good measure (carrying all that booze, and me thinking about it, was making me THIRSTY :twisted: )

I forgot to mention, Stagg is bottled at 129 Proof :shock: :D

TTFN,
Ken
KenBeau

Postby Ed » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:21 am

Hello All,
Hello Ken,
lucky you! I haven't found the Stagg anywhere here and if I do it will probably cost two or three hundred dollars maybe more. I have found it listed on an internet site for 37,800 yen. It is not in stock now anyway.
Sigh.
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder