Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Isle of Jura Superstition

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Isle of Jura Superstition

Isle of Jura Superstition

Postby Franziskus » Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:39 pm

Hi,
I've just been on Islay and Jura for Easter holidays and I've tasted Isle of Jura Superstition: I've found it excellent !!
Is there someone that know this malt ?
P.S.:Sorry for my english: I'm from Italy!

Francesco
Franziskus

Postby WhiskyHill » Mon May 05, 2003 1:07 am

My understanding is that this is a vatting of three year old highly peated Jura malt with the standard ten year old. I much prefer the Superstition to the 10.
WhiskyHill

Postby Peatfreak » Thu May 08, 2003 12:54 am

In my opinion this (supersition) is a very good Jura lots of jaffa cake orange ness - I tries a 3 o that was for japanesse market that wa heavily peated now that was stunning anbody know where i can find a bottle in the uk and they got a buyer

Wilie
Peatfreak

Postby laddie teun » Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:24 am

first tasted it at whisky live in london. Total, but pleasant suprise to me! I don't particulary like the other Jura's (10y and 16y). I think the peat works really well. I was told it is a mixture of rather young, peated jura (+/- 5 years old) with jura wich is a lot older.
laddie teun
Bronze Member

Postby begbiescotty » Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:39 pm

I've been looking for this one all over...then I found out it's not even available here in the States!
begbiescotty

Postby Admiral » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:19 am

It's not available here in Australia either. Actually, none of the Jura expressions are available here.

Do any exporters read this? :wink:
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Gate » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:00 am

It's available in Duty Free in quite a few places, so maybe there's a way for the US/Oz residents to get hold of a bottle. I looked at it only two weeks ago at Heathrow and decided against buying. Bad call, it seems. Still, there's always the Christmas list :wink:
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:36 pm

I tryed it once and I was very surprised by this. It's a nice dram with lovely smoky flavors.
Deactivated Member

Postby micheluzzo » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:06 pm

Hi,

tried the Jura 3y old several times and it is a excellent whisky for only 3 years. Maybe you get it from Sukhinder. Right now there is also a new Superstition in cask strength, which should be better than the normal one.
regards
Micheluzzo
micheluzzo

Postby Leonidych » Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:33 pm

Have a bottle of this at home. I think it is a breakthough for Jura. Nose: fresh garden tree flowers (I had the same sensation in Washington in the spring when sakura was in its full blossom) and sour apples (at times almost the same as apple cider), light-to-medium body, palate: apples, mandarins and some maltiness, and then, all of a sudden, a pleasant smoky wave, wow. The finish does not develop smoothly, though, but otherwise the Superstition is a very solid benchmark. One thumb up (the other is busy holding the glass). Mi piaceva molto bene :wink:
Leonidych

Superstition

Postby Fraha » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:37 am

Hello,

My info on this subject is that it's a mix of 10 and 16 yrs jura malt.
That's also the reason there is noyear on the label.
If a year was printed it must be the jongest due to whisky law in Scotland.

Is my info right?

Greetings from THe Netherlands where we can buy Isle of Jura "Superstition" freely for around 50 Euro ($60)

Frans
Fraha

Postby laddie teun » Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:04 pm

Bijvoorbeeld bij ons in Nijmegen, slijterij Versailles, ik gloof iets van 38-42 euro
laddie teun
Bronze Member

You can get it in the States

Postby jsf » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:29 am

I just saw it an hour ago at a local liquor store. I'll have to go back next week to get some, since the reviews are so good.

jsf
Washington, DC
jsf

Postby Tyson » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:43 pm

I just found a bottle of this here in the States after looking for a year. I have to say it is quite good. Very much a bees wax and bisquit tasing malt, with peat in the background (but not much smoke). It doesn't taste like any other scotch I've ever had, and I'm enjoying it all the more for that.
Tyson

Postby Tyson » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:53 pm

Trying a few more drams of this, the bees-wax flavor seperates out in to 2 different and disctint flavors - a big, buttery maltiness (ala Aberlour), and a quite heavy peatiness (in the style of Laphoaig 10 Cask Strength). My respect and enjoyment of this dram just went up quite a bit at this unexpected development of complexity. Superb and a killer bargain. Still a "very" unique taste and nose.
Tyson

Postby Bullie » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:55 pm

Of the Isle of Jura's I've tasted, the '1984' is the one I like best...
It's a 19 yrs old and finished in Oloroso sherry casks.

Still, I'm not so found of IoJ... But if you want their best, go for the 1984. It's quite nutty. Oh.. I haven't tried their 21, so it could be better!!?
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:01 pm

I had a bottle of Superstition from the duty-free, entering US from Canada. I can't say I was very impressed by it, although it is a step in the right direction for Jura. (They do a very nice tour, and everything really does taste better at the distillery...especially at the Golden Hour, 10-11am!) The one notable characteristic was an intensely salty finish--as I have said before, like someone left a salt shaker with the top unscrewed in the bottom of your dram.
Deactivated Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:54 am

Bullie wrote:Still, I'm not so found of IoJ... But if you want their best, go for the 1984. It's quite nutty. Oh.. I haven't tried their 21, so it could be better!!?

I've tried the 21yr (OB), and I was disappointed! I like the 10 (or 12) yr old - can't get it anymore here - but the older model doesn't justify the price IMHO. It's a nice dram, don't get me wrong. I'd be pleased if someone offered me a dram. But as for value for money... :(

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Re: Isle of Jura Superstition

Postby richardkyle » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:03 pm

First time i got the chance to try the superstition was back in February on the way into Brisbane, AUS from Hamilton, NZL and after leaving a good dent in the bottle i was forced to leave it in the good care of my grandfather when i returned home... :cry:

However, I have managed to convince my boss to buy it into regular stock at my place of work so i have a regular supply of the stuff by the boxload! :P

The sweet honey flavours and subtle Smokey peat makes this one of my new favorites :thumbsup:
richardkyle

Postby lexvo » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:22 pm

Jura Superstition is suprisingly good. And here in The Netherlands cheap too: just bought my second 1 litre bottle for 38 euros :)
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby craig-mcgill » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:18 am

Lex, you should post your thoughts on the whisky over at Richard Paterson's blog: http://www.themasterblender.com which is where Richard posts his thoughts on all Whyte and Mackay whiskies.
craig-mcgill

Re:

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:05 pm

Tyson wrote:Still a 'very' unique taste and nose.

This is exactly where the Superstition leaves me... Oftentimes wondering whether it's actually a whisky, so intense is the back-and-forth between those sweet, syrupy, mandarin orange-like notes and the other, more maritime-based characteristics. The malt can sometimes taste (to me, at any rate) very liqueurish. This particular beast therefore represents one I visit only occasionally.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Related whiskies : Isle of Jura Superstition

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder