Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Your Favorite Glass

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Your Favorite Glass

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:47 pm

(Or "favourite", if you insist.)

What is your preferred glassware for dramming? I have a bunch of Glencairn glasses which have been my faves for a long time, but I've recently inherited several really nice snifters, which, unlike a cheap one I had previously, are quite flat on the bottom inside--no dimple--which seems to me to make them ideal for the task.

The barman at the Stromness Hotel showed me the one he prefers for serious nosing--slightly smaller than a volleyball!

Getting a decent glass at a bar can be difficult--I always ask for a snifter, if one is available. The lack of a decent glass has a seriously deleterious effect on the experience. At the Lunar Rogue in Fredericton, New Brunswick, a fine pub with a great selection of malts, I was told, "We used to have one, but it broke." :shock: I know you're out there, Mr. Rogue--get on the ball!
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:34 pm

Depends on the whisky. For light strength whiskies, I like a tight tulip like the Andrews Park that really concentrates the nose. For everyday use, the Glencairn is ideal as it is fairly good for concentrating but not overkill. Flared thistles like the Riedel are best for cask strength whiskies and they don't make the nose burn and the outturned lip spreads the liquid on the tongue, again to reduce burn.

The Glencairn is quite tough while the other two are fragile. I can keep a Glencairn in my jacket pocket while the other two can be broken while being washed.

You're right about bars being terrible for glassware. Along with the possibility of substitutions and just old, tired whisky, I much prefer other ways of enjoying it.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:43 pm

Snifter or a sherry copita, that's my type of glas to enjoy my dram at the fullest. If not at hand, then just an ordinary tumbler will do fine.

Cheers,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:51 pm

hpulley wrote:Depends on the whisky. For light strength whiskies, I like a tight tulip like the Andrews Park that really concentrates the nose. For everyday use, the Glencairn is ideal as it is fairly good for concentrating but not overkill. Flared thistles like the Riedel are best for cask strength whiskies and they don't make the nose burn and the outturned lip spreads the liquid on the tongue, again to reduce burn.

Harry

Interesting opinion about the Riedel - I've read so many unfavourable reviews on that one. Think I'll have to get one!
I recently bought a Spiegelau "Scotch Single Malt Snifter" and it's really good in my opinion:

Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:58 pm

Hi Fjeld,

I also got glasses at home from Spiegelau and I like them quite a lot. I usually use them for my exclusive malt whiskies. Must say they do quite good for these purposes.

Cheers,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby robs42 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:20 pm

For normal drinking I just go for Glencairn glasses; not only do they make cheap mementos of distillery visits, but they also have this great habit of bouncing rather than breaking.

If I'm doing a nosing I will usually go for a snifter, but what I really want is some cobalt blue snifters so I can do a proper blind nosing - if any of you guys know where they can be bought (over the www preferably) that would be greatly appreciated,

cheers
Robby
robs42

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:43 pm

I did manage to break a Glencairn glass, but I had to try really hard. I'd brought it to the aforementioned Lunar Rogue, and I'd purposely brought a Bruichladdich one because I knew that I would shortly be at Bruichladdich and could replace it. I dropped it from a considerable height in a parking lot. Actually, it was in a bag with some heavy items, and likely they crushed it. Imagine my dismay on arrival in the distillery when I found they'd discontinued it! Fortunately, Mary Queen of Scotch managed to scrounge me up one. Thanks, dear. The new Bruichladdich glass looks like this:

It's a very nice glass, again relatively flat at the bottom on the inside, allowing one to spread out a small amount of fluid. And I have to say that I don't much care for a stem, as in a copita, although I will add that those Spiegelau glasses are quite handsome. I'm fantasizing about a stemless snifter-shaped bowl, broad but not too thick on the bottom (yes I'm talking about glasses!).

I like to turn my snifter on its side and let it roll around the bar. You can accumulate a lot of vapors that way, and make the bartender nervous as well!
Last edited by Guest on Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:37 am

I usually use the Glencairn for every day tasting, my choice for cask strength whiskies is the SMWS glass and for really old single cask malts I use a large brandy snifter, they seem to come alive in this style of glass.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:27 am

I find Glencairn glasses ideal in most circumstances.

However, having said that, many of the tasting panels I've participated in have simply served up the malts in the standard international XL5 wine tasting glass. Whilst not very romantic, it is sufficiently shaped and tapered to capture and concentrate nose around the top of the glass, tall enough to give the whisky a good swirl, and comfortable enough to hold cupped in the hand.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ed » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:56 am

Hello All,
Right now I am using a glass I got free with a bottle of St. Sebatian beer. It has a stem with a round bowl that fits neatly into my hand. It curves in quite a bit and then flares back out till the rim is nearly as wide as the bowl at its widest point. The glass at the bottomis quite thick so it takes a while to warm it in my hand. I have a soy sause dish that makes a fine cover.

Not too elegant a set up but it suits me for now. I will get some nicer glassware once I finish stocking my bar. I do have my pryorities! :)
Ed
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:49 am

The Glencairn glass for every day tastiong as some you suggested is quite good too, I tryed it too a few times and my WM glasses are absolutely suitable for everyday drinking. Maybe I will use this type of glass for a change. Although the snifter or asherry copita are fine glasses to me. The problem with a lot of glassware is that you'll get difficulties on choosing wich glass....

Cheers,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:38 pm

So many whiskies, and so many glasses... what is a malt drinker to choose? :D

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

glasses

Postby richard » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:14 pm

i like my sherry copita as well as well as cobalt blue nosing glasses i just cant get use to other glasses my best friend loves a tumbler everyone to there own

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:21 am

C_I wrote:Personally I have various glasses:

The "Bucket"-type...

Hey, the pdf you link to calls it "bouquet". Have you been watching Keeping Up Appearances?
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:48 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:
C_I wrote:Personally I have various glasses:

The "Bucket"-type...

Hey, the pdf you link to calls it "bouquet". Have you been watching Keeping Up Appearances?

Haha that's a good one :D You never know but I'd say Onslow is more of the "bucket" type!
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:11 am

Oh, nice.
Deactivated Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:56 am

Interesting to reads everyone's preferences on one glass over the other =D

If dramming with friends (who like whisky, but not necessarily in the way we do) I usually use Glencairns.

When nosing a new malt, or saviour something special, I usually use a snifter, often referred to as the 'glenmorangie snifter'.

But for ordinary dramming I really kinda got atatched to the MJ glass.

YES I KNOW!

The signature alone is practically hair rising. But my anatomy allows me to put my nose into the glass while taking a sip, and that is just doing wonders when enjoying a malt.
And the glass has pretty much the qualities of a snifter, just in a bit sturdier and slightly larger way, so you can have decently sized drams.

But the signature could go anytime.
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:04 am

I'm dredging up this thread for the benefit of Frodo, who has started a glss thread over on Tastings.
Deactivated Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:52 pm

I really like the Michael Jackson whisky connoisseur glass but for everyday use or travelling you can't go wrong with the Glencairn glass.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:05 am

I've really settled on the Glencairn. I used to prefer the Andrews Park and dabbled with the Riedel (still try it from time to time) but these days it's the Glencairn 99% of the time. I even take it with me to friends' parties :oops:

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Your Favorite Glass

Postby Bob & Jill » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:31 am

I just posted this comment under the "My First Single Malt Scotch" heading, but since it is also about "Your Favorite Glass" I thought I would include it here as well.

Joseph (clicker7), in answer to your question: “Any special glasses you folks recommend to enhance the experience?”
I like the stemless Reidel Tyrol crystal glass. I like to wrap my hand around the glass while it’s on the table. I get the uneasy feeling the glass is teetering when it’s on a long stem. Bob likes a stem and he uses the German Spiegelau glass. I like a light-weight thin crystal glass. I find heavy thick glasses uncomfortable and a barrier between myself and my drink.
Jill
Bob & Jill, Colorado
Bob & Jill

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder