Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

independend bottlers

All your whisky related questions answered here.

independend bottlers

Postby Bart » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:39 am

Which independend bottler do you think is the most consistend with good quality whisky.

I personally find that 'cadenhead' used to have good quality cask-strenght bottlings, but they have lost a bit of grip to provide good quality whisky.
Bart

Postby Frodo » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:46 am

All the D. Lang whiskies I've tried (about 5-6 in total) have been good to stellar. I've been less impressed with Signatory bottlings which in my experiance tend to be hit-or-miss affairs. Never had Cadenhead or Adelphi before. I do like the price point of the Signatory bottlings however...

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Bart » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:07 am

Like you Frodo I think the Laing selection, OMC, Provenance and the Platinum are very good, sometimes a bit pricy, but very nice nonetheless

Slainte
Bart
Bart

Postby Admiral » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:47 am

Bart,

You've obviously had access to some varied and quality bottlings.
Where do you source these from? Is there a liquor store in NZ that imports the independent bottlers? Or do you order them overseas yourself?

I only ask because independent bottlings simply aren't available in Oz, and I'm wondering whether things are better across the Tasman?

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:52 am

Whoops....forgot to answer your question! :)

I've only tried two or three OMC bottlings and they were all very good.

The Gordon & MacPhails Connoisseurs Choice range are all generally good, particularly recent bottlings of Caol Ila and Clynelish.

Mackillops Choice isn't bad either, but they're a bit overpriced.

SMWS bottlings vary from good to exceptionally superb, although again, the pricing is up there.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:19 pm

I've never had a bad Douglas Laing (OMC, McGibbon's Prov.), Cadenhead's, Murray&McDavid or Duncan Taylor (Peerless, Whisky Galore). Signatory can be hit and miss, along with Ian McLeod (Chieftain's, Dun Bheagan, Hedges & Butler) though the prices are generally lower so perhaps the quality is on par with that. James Macarthur seems expensive here and while generally good, there have been some less desireable bottlings too.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:39 pm

I've had very good luck with the Scotch Malt Whisky Society and Cadenheads. While I used to be very disappointed with Gordon & Macphail I've had some very good whiskies from them lately and am revising my opinion.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:43 pm

How could I forget G&McP? While I'm disappointed that most Connoiseurs' Choice bottlings are watered down to 40% ABV, in fact I have enjoyed pretty much every one I've tried. I don't buy many as I usually prefer a higher alcohol content but I should rethink that prejudice.

Also, thinking back, while I've never bought a bad Cadenhead's, I have had some samples which I'm glad I didn't buy a full bottle. They had a dreadful chalky Glen Garioch and a weak, weird Linkwood or was it Deanston? I can't recall now (was their blind tasting challenge from 2003).

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Crispy Critter » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:21 am

I haven't had many IBs...

Signatory UCF Caol Ila 1991 (age? I think 11yo)
Signatory UCF Highland Park 20yo (bottled for Binny's, forgot year)
Whisky Galore Glen Garioch 15yo (year?)
Cadenhead Port Ellen 1981/1992 (150th Anniversary bottling, FoaF'ed 2004)

The Glen Garioch was wonderful on the nose and palate, but it quickly gave me a headache every time I drank it, and I don't usually get headaches from whisky.

The Highland Park was very interesting - I've had the 12 and 18 OBs, and the Sig bottling had, in addition to the heathery Highland Park-ness, an extra bit of fire.

I'd recommend the Caol Ila to anyone who likes peat, and the PE also, if you can find one. The PE was the only cask-strength IB I've tried so far. It definitely needed some water, being at a mouth- and brain-smackingly high ABV - I think it was around 64%. Once some water was added, it was magnificent. Think of it as whisky concentrate. :)
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:45 am

CC, I had a Signatory UCF Caol Ila 1990 (12yo) that was very unpleasant--like licking an ashtray, from start to finish. I tried so hard to like it! It was extremely pale, suggesting perhaps a tired cask. (I would note that I've had some really good whiskies that were very pale--in this case, it was merely one clue.) Just goes to show how hit-or-miss it can be.

I haven't had a whole lot of IB's, but the Laings and MMcD's I've had have all been great. In fact, that one Signatory is the only real disappointment I've had. I also avoid the Connoisseur's Choice because of the 40% strength--the few I've had in pubs all seemed weak.
Deactivated Member

Postby islayjunkie » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:00 am

This is a redundant post however has anyone tried a Murray McDavid Bobwmore? I just finished a bottle of 1989 Bowmore MMcD and must say this is the best Bowmore I've tasted at a reasonable price.
islayjunkie
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:19 am

ij, I've never had a Bowmore I liked, but I'm intrigued with this idea that the IB's are a different beast. I will have to remember to try a few when I'm next sitting in the Port Charlotte Hotel.
Deactivated Member

Postby Bart » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:52 am

I have been away for a few days and just logged in to read any response...wauw...

Thanks guys
Bart

Postby Bart » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:56 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:ij, I've never had a Bowmore I liked, but I'm intrigued with this idea that the IB's are a different beast. I will have to remember to try a few when I'm next sitting in the Port Charlotte Hotel.

The best Bowmore I had was a caskstrenght one of the Smws, I signed up and was allowed to 'pick' a bottle, free of charge. This is about 6 years back now...none left... :cry:
The OMC Bowmore 14 yr is a very good one, on 50% it comes very close to they other one and at $nz 115.- is not bad at all. Very much butterscotch....yummm.
Bart

Postby Bart » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:06 am

Admiral wrote:Bart,

You've obviously had access to some varied and quality bottlings.
Where do you source these from? Is there a liquor store in NZ that imports the independent bottlers? Or do you order them overseas yourself?

I only ask because independent bottlings simply aren't available in Oz, and I'm wondering whether things are better across the Tasman?

Cheers,
Admiral

Hi Admiral,

To make a long story short. I left Europe (Holland) 3 years ago to settle in New Zealand. Being in the country a few weeks I had a good look around if I could find any of my favorites. I was very dissappointed with the range here in NZ.
I did and do have some whisky contacts in Scotland, Holland and Germany. Before I knew I started to import independent bottlings to NZ. Now almost 2 years further I have gathered some (whisky) friends with which I do tastings at least once a month.

Sometimes you have to take the bull by the horns, or the whisky in it's glass.

Slainte
Bart
Bart

1989 16 yr Bowmore

Postby cajones » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:07 pm

I noticed islayjunkie's remark sometime ago about the 16 yr 1989 Bowmore. I just purchased a bottle for $100 and was wondering if that was a good price or if I paid too much.

Cheers
cajones

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder