Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

dun bheagan

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

dun bheagan

Postby nunurs » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:13 pm

What u guys think of Dhun bheagan's malts ?

Heard of a Brora 23 ans 0,7l 49% distillé 1980 for around 75 euros?

Is it worth buying it ?

Someone already tasted it ?

Thx
nunurs

Postby hpulley » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:59 pm

I say: don't buy that Brora. I am just about to finish a bottle of that one and IMO it is not a good Brora. As whisky goes in general it isn't good by any means and is WAY overpriced. Here they charge $189 for it normally but I got it for $75 which is still too much for it. Why? It is a weak dram, not a strong one like most Broras; it reminds me of a poor Clynelish actually with not much going on in the nose but a few fruity notes and some sherry, a medium-thin body, a medium and somewhat harsh finish for the 49% (good cask strength whiskies are much smoother). There are MUCH better Broras out there so I'd give this one a pass if I could go back in time.

In general, Dun Bheagan is hit and miss. I have yet to get one that I've loved, though several have been really good. Dun Bheagan is an Ian McLeod line, as are Chieftains and Hedges&Butler, the latter of which has an excellent '89 10yo Clynelish which is much, much better than the '80 23yo Brora.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:21 pm

hpulley wrote:In general, Dun Bheagan is hit and miss. I have yet to get one that I've loved, though several have been really good.
Harry

Hi Harry!
I've just bought a Caol Ila 12 yo cask strenght and haven't tasted it yet. However, I bought it because of several very good reviews praising it - especially in comparison with the various Caol Ila OBs. Have you tried this one?

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:30 pm

I haven't had that Caol Ila. I've had the 1990 Dun Bheagan 10yo and it was good.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby nunurs » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:17 am

k thx for infos
nunurs

Postby Frodo » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:18 am

I really like the 8yr old Islay (Dun Bheagan). At it's price point C$43, I like it better than anything else at the LCBO except 10yr Glenmorangie (OB). I've also heard good things about the 8yr old Island, and the 8yr old Highland.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Agrees with what Frodo sez

Postby KenBeau » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:04 am

I keep a bottle of the Dun Bheagan Islay 8 YO on hand after finding it a few years ago. I think I paid $27 US the last time I restocked it.
YMMV :P
KenBeau

Postby Tom » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:48 pm

Dun Bheagan varies alot. Here its very easy to get and i find DB and Chieftains Choice quite cheap IB's. Lately i have seen more older bottlings and most cost around 100$ wich isnt much for a 28 to 30Y old IMO.
I tried quite a few Caol Ila's from Dun Bheagan and must say i liked them all. they have some good stocks of Tamdhu and ALT-A-BHAINNE too. Their Regional malts (8Y) are very good price/quality like. Still have to taste the lowland of that serie but they are worth the money. Especially the Island.
Try to taste a dram before buying the bottle.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Laphroaig » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:34 pm

Looks like I'll be the one to sneeze in the punchbowl here...

I've heard good things about their (other) Caol Ila's how ever someone did second my dislike of the Caol Ila 10 Y/O Rum Cask Finish they put out.

The jury must be out on this one bottling, as there have been additional bottles on the shelf for the longest I've ever seen an indie last in this particular shop I frequent.
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby Bart » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:21 am

Those regional malts are very good, really like them
The best DB I had so far was a 19 yr Little mill on 46%...the best Lowlander I ever had.
Bart

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder