Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg 1977

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Ardbeg 1977

Ardbeg 1977

Postby Ed » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:13 pm

Hello All,
I have seen some Ardbeg 1977 in a bar and am thinking about trying it. It looks to be unopened. The problem is it costs 2300 yen for a dram. I can get a bottle of nice bourbon for that. It would go a long way towards buying one of the single malts on my list. Is it worth it? In your opinion?
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:59 pm

I think the real answer lies in how badly you want to try it. For some people, an Ardbeg is an Ardbeg, and my recollection of the '77 is that it fits comfortably in the distillery profile. I'm always leary of spending a large amount for a dram in a bar, because I'm not at all certain that I'm going to have a really worthwhile tasting experience. Yes, it's cheaper than buying a bottle, but you aren't really going to get to know it, are you? Still, it could be your only opportunity to try something unusual. And the fact that the bottle appears to be full is a good sign. So again, in my mind, it's a matter of how much you want to try it. And of course that is why you want to hear how good it is--I'm sure some others here will give you their tasting notes (and I suggest they specifically compare it to other more widely-available Ardbegs). Sorry I can't do that--I killed my bottle quite a long time ago!
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:53 am

The Ardbeg 1977 is easily the best and finest Islay I've ever tasted (and I've had a few!), and to this day holds the highest score I've ever given in a critical assessment.

Yes, it is expensive, but we are talking about one of the best malts ever bottled available on the market right now.

Tempted now? :wink:

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby wpt » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:22 am

it's a great whisky
creamy/chewy/chocolately

cost is about $100.00 USD for a bottle.
wpt

Postby Ed » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:50 am

Hello All,
Yep, I am tempted now! I was before or I wouldn't have posted the question. There are several other Ardbegs next to it. The Very Young, Uesiegul (I know that is spelled wrong) and one in the midteen years old, I don't recall exactly. There is also a Laphroaig 15 yr there. All whiskies that I want to try but haven't seen in the stores.
wpt, I think I would rather pay US $100 for a bottle than nearly a quarter of that for a dram. I will have to look around for a better single malt store, but I don't think that I will find it for that price. In Japan a big part of the attraction of luxury goods is the ridiculous price you had to pay. I don't suppose that is a strictly Japanese trait...
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby islayjunkie » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:00 am

Admiral wrote:The Ardbeg 1977 is easily the best and finest Islay I've ever tasted (and I've had a few!), and to this day holds the highest score I've ever given in a critical assessment.

Has anyone tried an OMC DL Ardbeg? I just had a 27yo (1975)... a damn good dram. I favor it over the PE 24yo '79 57.3%... I'll post more notes when I'm sober :wink:
islayjunkie
Silver Member

Postby bamber » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:21 pm

I would get a whole bottle. It took me 3-4 drams to really appreciate the stuff.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:45 pm

I find that true of most drams, one taste is not enough which is unfortunate as we wouldn't get very far in tastings if we had to have 3-4 drams of each! One dram is enough to pique my interest to get a bottle but ironically not enough to know if I'll truly love that purchase.

The OMC '75 25yo December Ardbeg is a wonderful, wonderful dram and not that expensive either. I prefer it to the 24yo PE as well but in some ways it is not fair to compare them, one is an IB, etc.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby wpt » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:59 pm

i would say it takes 3-4 drams to understand this whisky well.
then you'll just want to keep coming back for more.
currently it's my most frequently visited open bottle.
you will get a sense of its quality with a single dram but it will leave you yearning for a second, third and so on....

it's hard to get your hands on ardbegs in the states w/o having to mail order.
wpt

Postby Tom » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:35 pm

The Ardbeg 77 is a must try Ed. its one of the best Ardbegs and islays there are. The '74 ones are possibly even better. but other then that no islay can stand up to it as far as i tasted(havent had a '75 yet)
Tom
Gold Member

Postby wpt » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:32 pm

what other ardbegs can folks recommend and how do they compare with the '77 in terms of tasting profile and cost?

thanks
wpt

Postby lambda » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:40 pm

I was wondering how well it does against the lord of the isles. I suppose that one is more expensive, but is it better?
lambda
Bronze Member

Postby wpt » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:54 pm

here are some comparisons from the maltmadness folks but no tasting notes for the 1977.

http://www.maltmadness.com/ardbeg.html
wpt

Postby Admiral » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:36 am

The 1977 is markedly better than the LOTI (IMHO). I did a direct HTH of these, also with the 21yo Committee Bottling.

Previously, I actually thought the LOTI was a superb and brilliant whisky. I'm sure it actually is, but unbelievably, it seemed quite weak when put up against the '77.

My tasting notes & scores aren't to hand, but I'll post these at some stage over the weekend if you like.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:35 am

Admiral, I thought the LOTI was rather disappointingly light myself. (Just poured myself a drop to confirm.........hmmmm........yes, very nice, but lacking in typical Ardbeg cojones.)

ij, I had an OMC Ardbeg 25, and it was awesome. One of those bottles it breaks your heart to finish. I haven't been disappointed by the any of the few OMC's I've sampled.
Deactivated Member

Postby islayjunkie » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:47 am

wpt wrote:here are some comparisons from the maltmadness folks but no tasting notes for the 1977.

http://www.maltmadness.com/ardbeg.html

Based on the 92 rating for the 27yo (73 OMC) I bought the closest match I could find, an Ardbeg 27yo (75 OMC)

The 75 OMC is a delicate mellow whisky initially that opens up and turns hotter on the tongue like a younger whisky. Less sweet and peaty than the Uigeadail but smokier with more subtle flavors (hay, raisin, sweet leather) and some I still can't identify. The nose is great (hay, smoke, peat)... lots of hay. This is the best Ardbeg I've had. If it were half the price I would buy more. I'll stick to the Uigeadail.
islayjunkie
Silver Member

Postby wpt » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:47 pm

The 75 OMC is a delicate mellow whisky initially that opens up and turns hotter on the tongue like a younger whisky. Less sweet and peaty than the Uigeadail but smokier with more subtle flavors (hay, raisin, sweet leather) and some I still can't identify. The nose is great (hay, smoke, peat)... lots of hay. This is the best Ardbeg I've had. If it were half the price I would buy more. I'll stick to the Uigeadail.

ij,

Can you compare it to the '77?
What was cost of your 27yo?
wpt

Postby islayjunkie » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:17 pm

wpt wrote:ij,

Can you compare it to the '77?
What was cost of your 27yo?

I paid £106.38... just 2 months ago it was a little over £80.00 if that's an indicator of reserves. This stuff is priced for collecting.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/acatal ... BEG_6.html

The next most affordable older Ardbeg I see online is a Lord of the Isles 25yo for around £80.00. PM me for location.

The Ardbeg 75 OMC is the only Ardbeg I have had besides the 10yo and Uigeadail so I can only compare it to these. From what I can see the 77 scores fairly well for taste by several malt maniacs but not as high as the Uigeadail for overall value.

For price point the Uigeadail beats the 75 OMC and probably the 77 OB for an intense less sophisticated but well rounded smoke/peat monster. On the other hand Uigeadail lacks the delicate rounded nose and complex depth of flavors of the 75 OMC. I'm assuming the same for the 77 OB.

Here are some tasting notes for the 77 OB:
http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/a ... ky791.html

Ardbeg in general:
http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/ardbeg/

Michael Wade
http://www.maltmadness.com/mm-mw.html

Louis Perlman
http://www.maltmadness.com/mm-lp.html
islayjunkie
Silver Member

Postby Tom » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:16 pm

The 1977 used to be my favorite Islay, but has now moved aside to let the 1974 "For Belgium" vintage move up (with a LARGE margin) suprisingly, the one that stand closest to the 77, is for me the 1990 9Y OMC Ardbeg. Another one that competes with the 77 is the OMC 1972 28Y.
For the rest i agree with Admiral, the LOTI isnt compareble to the 77 and lacks the dry clean peat and complexity.
Tom
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Ardbeg 1977

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder