Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Single Malt in Boston

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Single Malt in Boston

Postby Brian » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:41 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good Bars/Restrunats in Boston with a wide selection of Single Malts?

Thanks for the help.
Brian

Postby rthomson » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:57 pm

I'm not familiar with the bars and restaurants in Boston but if you're looking for a package store then Federal Wine and Spirits on State Street is supposed to have a good selection.

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Brian » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:08 pm

Yeah they have an unbelievable selection and an amazing staff as well but i was looking more of a Bar-ish place.
Brian

Postby patrick dicaprio » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:23 am

i was just in boston and had the same problem. what a disaster. i went to one bar that was recommended to me. not only did they only have 25 scotches they served it in tumblers!!!

Pat

EDIT: it was the Elephant & Castle.
Last edited by patrick dicaprio on Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby rthomson » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:12 am

I don't often order a scotch at a bar (could become too much of a tempting, expensive habit!) but when I do I'll ask if they wouldn't mind serving it in a snifter, chimay glass or something like that. They usually have no problem with the request. When I forget to ask for a special glass it's almost always served to me in a tumbler or rocks glass.

Only 25 scotches! I've been at bars where I wished that they even had half that number. Of course, how many were blends, Glenlivit, Glenfiddich, and the usual that are found around that area?

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby islayjunkie » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:46 am

The search term "boston single malt bars" reveals:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... tnG=Search

have you researched the Rowes Wharf Bar? Only 40 including blends however further research may reveal more bars.

http://www.bhh.com/wharf.htm
islayjunkie
Silver Member

Postby rthomson » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:00 am

I had forgotten about Doyle's in Jamaica Plain. It's been years since I've been there. They say they have over 50 single malts. There's some interesting history behind it as well; Mayor James Michael Curley had something to do with it (while he was in or out of jail, I have no idea) if I remember correctly. At the time that Doyle's was founded, Jamaica Plain was one of the nicer neighborhoods in Boston. That situation has changed quite a bit over the years. Nonetheless, still a good bar.

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:46 am

Rowes Wharf Bar? Yikes! I'll bet it's one of the priciest bars in town. I'll bet a dram of Glenfiddich 12 goes for a dollar a year.

From the website:

Yet, within these wood-detailed walls lays Boston's most extensive selection of fine scotches.

In Scotland, whiskey remains the drink of choice. Be it a celebration or merely a sedentary moment of meditation, whiskey has an almost ubiquitous quality, making it an appropriate drink for all occasions.

Mr. Picky bristles: "lays" instead of "lies"; "whiskey" instead of "whisky"; and an inappropriate and meaningless use of "ubiquitous". The clause "Be it....meditation" has no proper reference; "it" appears to be "whiskey", which is not itself a celebration or a moment. And what the hell does "wood-detailed" mean? These clowns don't know crap.

And if they are indeed correct that their array of 40 blends and malts is the best in Boston, then Brian is SOL. (And I, also.) Alas, Boston is the land of the faux Irish pub; oh, a real Irish barback, and even real Irish staff, to be sure, but a barful of Budchuggers. If you're lucky, a good pint of Guinness and a Bushmills, but forget about a decent dram of malt. If I may steal a page from Admiral, I suggest you drive through the Ted Williams Tunnel to Logan Airport and catch Icelandair to Glasgow.
Deactivated Member

Postby islayjunkie » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:02 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Rowes Wharf Bar? Yikes! I'll bet it's one of the priciest bars in town. I'll bet a dram of Glenfiddich 12 goes for a dollar a year.

Rowes Wharf Bar is the first thing I picked off from the Google search result... should I spend more time on a more thorough Google search? Maybe a complete listing of Boston bars specializing in single malts? That might take an hour.

This was meant to be an example of what can be found on Google... not the ultimate choice for a Boston single malt bar ;)
islayjunkie
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:33 am

Of course I'm not criticizing you for the choice, ij--hell, you're 3,000 miles away. I understand you just picked it off a search. You came up with more than I did, and I'm only 85 miles away, and I visit Boston frequently. There has to be a good malt bar somewhere in Boston or Cambridge or environs...but I'm damned if I know where it is, and I'm disgusted at the provinciality of a high-end hotel like Rowes Wharf claiming 40 bottles as a great selection. This is such a weird state...you can go to Federal Wines & Liquors on State Street in Boston and buy great vintage Glenrothes and Balvenies, but you can't find a bar that can pour you a lousy Ardbeg 10. I know of far better whisky bars in such presumably provincial towns as Halifax, Nova Scotia; Fredericton, New Brunswick; and Quebec City, Quebec.

I shouldn't complain--I have it far better, whisky-wise and else, than folks do in a lot of other places. I guess I'm just bemused by the fact that there's no place so provincial as a city that thinks it's the cat's pajamas. Boston can be like that. I love it like I love a brother, but you know when your brother is full of $#!%, don't you?
Deactivated Member

Postby islayjunkie » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:02 am

Does this mean we need to spend another hour searching Google for better bars? We could start mapping all 50 States... which may result in people pulling up whiskymag.com for our listings here... then who knows what might happen! Price hikes and wars between local bars and pubs... whisky armageddon!

ummm, maybe I've had to much Uigeadail :P
islayjunkie
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:00 pm

I think it's a great idea, and it's part of the reason why I started a favorite pubs thread a while back, which unfortunately didn't get too far. When I travel in the States, I often consult http://www.pubcrawler.com to try to find brewpubs and decent beer bars. (If you check it out, you will find a few listings authored by Mr Tattie Heid.) A similar resource for whisky freaks would be really nice. Or maybe there's one out there already that has escaped my notice?
Deactivated Member

Postby rthomson » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:43 pm

I liked the idea of a thread on favorite pubs. However, I was a little reluctant to post on it as I've found that I my choice spots end up being places in which I know a good deal of the people and there's a warm, comfortable atmosphere. Certainly, those are great characteristics but I didn't want to unintentionally mislead anyone into thinking that an extensive whisky list might be available there.

Of course, the other reason I didn't post is that there's only been one pub I found that I could really become attached to in my newly adopted home- and that @#$^#* place closed down three weeks after I moved here!

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:17 pm

rthomson wrote:Of course, the other reason I didn't post is that there's only been one pub I found that I could really become attached to in my newly adopted home- and that @#$^#* place closed down three weeks after I moved here!

If you took up residence in my pub, I'd close, too! :P
Deactivated Member

Postby rthomson » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:46 pm

To quote a much wiser man:

"Hey, wait a minute- I resemble that remark."

:lol:
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Crispy Critter » Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:32 am

Ironically, there's a nice little neighborhood tavern right across the street from me, but I rarely visit it due to the cigarette smoke. :evil:

Besides, it doesn't have any real selection of single malts...
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

Thanks

Postby Brian » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:40 pm

Thanks for all the help. I am planning on checking out Doyle's sometime this week. I have heard from a few people that there is the best place to go around here. I have also gotten some recommendations about The Federalist but that runs into the same problem as Rowes Wharf. Way too expensive and not to mention formal for an after work dram. I will report back about their selection and price after i go. Thanks again for all your help.
Brian

Postby dram-man » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:53 pm

Brian, I highly recommend City Bar at the Lenox Hotel on Boylston St. They have many (and I mean MANY) brands and ages of single malts, especially Balvenie (my favorite), and the barman is always willing to educate those less aware of their many offerings. In fact, I switched to Balvenie from Cardhu upon a recommendation (and subsequent gratis glass) from the barman. I am sure you'll have a pleasant experience at City Bar. Alternatively, Turner Fisheries (at the Westin Hotel - Copley) has a very nice selection of the major labels. It's also has a quiet atmosphere where you can enjoy you single malt whilst listening to some wonderful jazz (try to catch the Debra Mann trio when they are there).
dram-man

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder