Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

SMWS bottlings

All your whisky related questions answered here.

SMWS bottlings

Postby bamber » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:52 pm

Bit stuck for what to get next. Anyone recommend any recent SMWS bottlings. Region is not an issue. Ta :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Glenfarclas

Postby posterboy » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:29 pm

They've been getting some amazing very old Glenfarclas lately (32, 34 and 38 year bottlings were recently offered). The 38 year (number 1.105, I believe) went for $240/bottle and is may be sold out, but you can call them to find out. It's truly specatular. I imagine the 32 and 34 year bottlings are also amazing.
posterboy

Postby Admiral » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:33 am

Cask 1.111 has just been released in Australia, a 38yo Glenfarclas, for AUS$345. Only 24 bottles available in the country though!

The Caol Ilas always seem to be consistently good. As are the Mortlachs.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby bamber » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:14 am

Thanks posterboy and Admiral, I like the OB Glenfarclae a lot but fear those bottlings are out of my price range. I've had a Caol Ila from them and it was really excellent. What's the number they use to represent Mortlach Admiral ? I'm too lazy to try and work it out today :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:28 am

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:41 am

Getting ready at this precise moment to go for the train up to Edinburgh for a days drinking at the Vaults . Prepared a list of the current bottlings (including another 38yo Farclas) to try , will let you know what some of them are like .

Slainté
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:48 am

Gordon, you're so lucky, we have to get on an airpalne and fly for 24 hours to do that, have one for us,

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:03 am

24 hours!?! Geez, Lawrence, Travelocity says that Air Canada can get you there in a mere 15h 40m, and for only around US$880. If you can get yourself to SeaTac, NW/KLM will get you to Edinburgh in just 12h 40m for only US$665. What are you waiting for? (Are you paying attention, Ron?)
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:03 pm

Bastards!
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby bamber » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:57 pm

I'm of too to Glasgow and Edinburgh at the beginning of April for 4 days and three nights. :D :D (BTW thanks for the link Lawrence).
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:02 pm

No matter how hard I try I can't reduce the travel time, door to door, to under 24 hours. Ah well, at least I have had the opportunity to go there and will agian.

Bamber when you make it to the Vaults, say hi to Georgie, she's the Assistant Venue Manager there and is simply the best.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:03 pm

Admiral, that's the shortest post I've ever seen from you! :D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:11 pm

Admiral wrote:Bastards!

Now Admiral...go take a stroll on Bondi Beach and then tell us how envious you are. Last night's low here was about -12°C.
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:21 pm

Lawrence wrote:No matter how hard I try I can't reduce the travel time, door to door, to under 24 hours. Ah well, at least I have had the opportunity to go there and will agian.

Bamber when you make it to the Vaults, say hi to Georgie, she's the Assistant Venue Manager there and is simply the best.

Will do :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby rthomson » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:50 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:24 hours!?! Geez, Lawrence, Travelocity says that Air Canada can get you there in a mere 15h 40m, and for only around US$880. If you can get yourself to SeaTac, NW/KLM will get you to Edinburgh in just 12h 40m for only US$665. What are you waiting for? (Are you paying attention, Ron?)

I'm paying attention. 12h 40m, huh? Ok, how many flasks can I fit into my carry-on, how many drams can I reasonable sample before becoming (more of) a drunken idiot, and what should those drams be?

Wondrous visions and plans are circling through my head-

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:32 pm

Mr T,

-12 degrees celsius, eh?

Sounds like the perfect weather to enjoy a dram!!

Yesterday was +36 degrees celsius (97 fahrenheit!), which is perfect for a trip to Bondi, but less conducive for a malt. Needless to say, a few ice cold lagers hit the spot.

Lawrence,

Short on words, long on feeling!!
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:58 am

Well Guys ,
Had a really good day up in Auld Reekie, there was even a bit of a snow flurry when we were sitting next to the open fire in them big comfortable sofas !
When we left Waverley we first hit Jenners Dept store where a good friend of mine , Mark Watt of DTC , was doing a tasting .
He gave us a try of a couple of new bottlings , first was a "Peerless" 1967 / 36yo Strathisla which was absolutely wonderful , for such an old whisky it still had loads of flavours , outstanding . Then he gave us one of "The Rarest of the Rare" range , a 1974 Glencraig which quite frankly was disappointing after the Strathisla , total lack of nose IMO and it took ages for any taste to come thru . Before we departed to The Vaults he thrust an "Auld Reekie" into our hands , which is one of the best "Bang for bucks" IMHO .
So to the Vaults , after a gorgeous lunch of Potato and Leek soup followed by Maple glazed Ham , with Mashed Potatoes , watercress and a Mustard and Parsley sauce (Hmmm!),It was down to the drammin' !
We tried 6 drams off the new spring list (in this order , yes i know it's strange doing the lowlander last but i had my suspicions about this one).

1. 1.122 1966/38yo Farclas - not a patch on the 1.110 but still a damn good whisky , couldn't get the "Black Forest gateau" of the tasting notes but got an overwhelming taste of Cola Cubes (the sweets) .

2. 45.13 1975/29yo Dallas Dhu - this was my first ever dram from this distillery and boy what a dram ! Not what i was expecting (typical Speysider) , a stunner , lots of fresh fruit and creamy , tasted like a young un rather than a 29yo . On another day i might have bought this one .

3. 44.26 1982/22yo Craigellachie - I went for this one as one of my all time Favourite Speysiders is a 1973/22yo Craigellachie RM , it didn't disappoint , wasn't up to the RM release but probably a very close second .hint of polish with smoke and very warming again on another day (and budget!) i would have bought this one .

4. 27.55 1989/15yo Springbank - Once again i can't work out what the fuss over Springbank is (got to be a cult thing !) yeah it's an ok dram but so are lots of others..... it was better (a whole lot better !) with water , quite smoky , Orangey (Citric) but not worth the money IMO.

5. 53.89 1993/11yo Caol Ila - If it wasn't for Ardbeg and the totally disappointing O.b.'s Caol Ila would be my all time favourite dram .Where do the SMWS get these casks from and what the hell does Diageo do with theirs ? Another stunning CI , bags of Germolene , hellish long smoky finish , a delight , a perfect Caol Ila !

6. 50.19 1993/11yo Bladnoch - Having tasted most of Raymondo's offerings i decided to leave this to last on ground of i thought it might be to put it mildly ,not very good ! What i mean is a might be a perfectly good Bladnoch compared to other Bladnoch bottlings but not a patch on the "Sheep" and "Coo" of Mr Armstrongs bottlings and i was right ! For some reason it was very soapy (a la Edradour) and i couldn't find anything to match the supplied tasting notes .

I rounded the day off with a couple of 33.52's and went home an extremely happy man ( thanks to Georgie for sorting something else out on the day as well , wonderful woman and an Ileach to boot !) .

Slainté

Gordon
Last edited by Spirit of Islay on Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby bamber » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:57 pm

Looks like the Caol Ila might be making a trip to Bristol :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:03 pm

SOI, what a great post, also Georgie is really great, she makes the visit.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:57 pm

Went to SMWS last night and tried four of the current catalogue's bottlings:

Isle of Jura 17yo - a very weird smoky expression. Not as smoky/peaty as Superstition and a flavour that was quite feinty. Frankly, not very nice but definitely worth trying just to see another style of Jura.

Glenlivet 16yo - wonderful aged sherry. Sweet vanilla and cream on first tasting and stewed fruits developing on the palate and finish.

Bowmore 7yo - Very peaty and very sherried, meeting in the middle as bacon - and not much else. Peat and sherry was an intersting trick when I first tried it, but it does get a bit samey after repetition. This could have been a young Ardbeg.

Bunnahabhain 8yo - From a sherry gorda. It was a sherry moster with sweet and young first fill sherry. It left a dry and salty finish, but difficult to say whether that was the sherry or the Bunna. Very similar in profile to other young sherry monsters - A'bunadh or Macallan spring to mind. I'm not sure there was much of the Bunna that came through, but it was late and my last dram. Having said that, it was a stunning bottle containing whisky from a distillery that I have seldom found much cause to commend.

My drinking companion offered me a nosing of a 34yo Glen Elgin which was superb and utterly complex - but also £90 a bottle!
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:23 pm

Nick, that sounds like a great evening, last night I opened my 123.1 Glengoyne 8 YO and a junior sherry monster, certainly the distillery character has been cover a tad but it was still very good.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Spirit of Islay » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:36 pm

Lawrence wrote:Nick, that sounds like a great evening, last night I opened my 123.1 Glengoyne 8 YO and a junior sherry monster, certainly the distillery character has been cover a tad but it was still very good.

Well i hope it's better than Cask no.2 , we had it at a tasting last year , these were my notes.....
"And now to number 3 , there was a quick count in the room for this one and i'm glad to say i was in the majority , it was horrible and it's possibly as far as i can remember the only whisky i've never finished at an SMWS tasting . In their notes they classed it as a Highland / Lowland , it was a Glengoyne ( 123.2 , 8yo , 56.7% , 317 bottles , £43 ) . The society had reracked this one for just over 2 years into a sherry butt , big mistake !
The nose wasn't too bad , Spicy and christmas cake but the taste , burnt rubber and sulpher , was disgusting and the finish horrible . Water improved it a bit but by then it was too late . Reminded me of the awful Jura we had once at a tasting but we finished that one..... "
Even our friendly neighbourhood SMWS tasting host said perhaps it shouldn't have been put into the tasting !
Opening the New Bruichladdich and Ardbeg tonight , i shall return .....well on the what are you drinking tonight bit anyway......

Slainté
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby rthomson » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:21 am

Ahhhh, I was able to get a good result from the Forum Search before posting a question that I knew had to have been asked before. It's an old post but the link is still active; I was getting tired of trying to figure out which distillery the SMWS bottlings were from.

Has anyone tried the Glenglassaugh from the Spring bottling list? I'm tempted.

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Alec » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:02 pm

Hi Nick, I'be been to SMWS in London recently and had a few drams from their Spring bottlings. Will post some tasting notes later, but just to say the Glen Elgin was fantastic. Nose was great. Doesn't need much water (if any). Also enjoyed the 7 YO Bowmore, and agree with you. Think the SMWS tasting notes summed it up. If you haven't done so, I really recommend the Cragganmore from the Spring bottling list.
Alec

Postby Lawrence » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:42 pm

I've had several bottlings of Glenglassaugh ad they have all been very good. Buy with confidence.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Scotchio » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:06 pm

rthomson wrote:

Has anyone tried the Glenglassaugh from the Spring bottling list? I'm tempted.

Ron

Is there a glassaugh on there. I couldn't see a 21 ?
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby parvus » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:27 am

Try http://www.whiskyportal.com/smws/index.asp - Glenglassaugh is there at 21.
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Scotchio » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:43 am

parvus wrote:Try http://www.whiskyportal.com/smws/index.asp - Glenglassaugh is there at 21.

What I meant was that I couldn't see a 21 for Glassaugh in the spring bottlings list at SMWS UK.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby rthomson » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:08 pm

The Spring bottling list of SMWS of America has a 28 yo Glenglassaugh. I hadn't considered the possibility of the UK and US lists being different but it makes sense considering the size of the markets and the limited number of bottles available from a given cask.

http://smwsa.com/

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:15 pm

I think all the branches have different listings, that's been my experience. I suspect that some of the smaller markets may share a cask though.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:51 pm

My take on the bottling lists is that we in the UK have a different list to the rest of the world (as in other branches) , the Rest of the world seem to share casks though sometimes a branch can get all the outturn . We in the UK sometimes get bottles from other branches on our Tastings (and vice versa....) , also i've had USA bottles at The Vaults (a 39yo Farclas being a prime example ) . So it's fairly straight forward........
:? :? :?

Slainté
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder