Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Aberlour 15yo--Sherry Finish

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Aberlour 15yo--Sherry Finish

Postby patrick dicaprio » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:43 am

just cracked a fresh bottle and thought i would share my notes:

Aberlour-15 yo Sherry Wood Finish Score 8.5

Spicy and sweet--wonderfully complex and layered--one right after the other. Definite floweriness (roses?) and citrus.Many flavors are well mingled--oranges with spiciness, creamy body and slightly oily on the tongue. Medium in length--spicy and tingling with the citrus remaining.

Overall--Surprisingly it is not overpoweringly sherried. Predominantly flowery and orangey. Very nice whisky and just short of greatness.
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:16 am

Is this 15yo an OB?

I have the 15yo OB, but there's no mention of sherry finish on the packaging.

Are there now two 15yo's on the market?

Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby rthomson » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:20 am

There is an OB Aberlour 15 yo sherry finish, though I haven't had a chance to try it yet. The website said it's currently available only in the UK, US and Canada. Here are the tasting notes from their website:

Matured first in bourbon and sherry casks, then finished in selected sherry butts, this is an elegant single malt of enormous charm.

Colour
Golden amber.

Nose
A confection of marzipan and the alluring fragrance of geraniums, with hints of sherry and orange blossom, and a light smokiness.

Taste
Soft and spicy with a lightly toasted oaky flavour, overlaid with a sherry-sweet nuttiness mixed with ripe apricots and toffee that shamelessly seduces the palate.

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby patrick dicaprio » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:27 pm

Admiral wrote:Is this 15yo an OB?

I have the 15yo OB, but there's no mention of sherry finish on the packaging.

Are there now two 15yo's on the market?

Admiral

the bottle i have is an OB and it says sherry wood finish on the label. i guess they must have more than one 15 yo.

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:24 am

CI did you purchase a Warehouse No. 1 sample? I did and chose the sherry cask over the bourbon. I've not yet opened it and it sits next to my a'bunadh Sterling Silver label and my Aberlour 1976. 8)
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder