Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Jack Wiebers whisky's

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Jack Wiebers whisky's

Postby Bart » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:55 am

Has anybody had any "Jack Wieber" whisky's, and what is your opinion on his selection?

Cheers
Bart
Bart

Postby FG » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:33 am

Hello Bart,

I tasted several Wiebers's bottlings - they were great, some even fantastic. Always good quality and often very rare stuff.

There are several ranges :
- Old Train Label (OTL)
- Jack & Jack
- Auld Distillers
- etc.

Mainly the bottlings are strongly limited, sometimes even 100 bottles or less. Therefore they are very difficult to get when they come on the market (even for me, and I'm from germany, as well as Jack) and the price explodes with nearly every bottling. They are mainly done for collector's I think.

He had some special bottlings :

- Black Bruichladdich 1969 OTL (nearly as black as the Black Bowmore)
- Alloa Grains OTL 40y. old (very impressing taste)
- Port Ellen OTL 1982 20 y.
- etc.

I have a complete list of all OTL's realeased if you are interested.

The market price of the Port Ellen OTL 1982 20 y. (limited at about 100 bottles) was 135,- EUR. In the collector's area this bottle is now paid (after 2 years) at about 500,- EUR. Crazy, isn't it?
He has released a new PE OTL 22y. now. Of course it was sold out the first day.
Must be nearly impossible to get one of his bottles in New Zealand isn't it?

I can really recommend the following :
- PE OTL 1982
- Glenlochy OTL 39y. (quite new)
- Glen Grant 1970
- Lochside 1966.
- etc.

Enjoy your dram,
Frank
FG

Postby Bart » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:24 am

Hi FG,

Thanks for your long reply. A Dutch friend of mine has been speaken of this 'jack wiebers', and is convinced this is a good dram.
He will visit me in april this year and if I know him right he will bring a nice bottle.

It's a shame a those collectors drive up the price. I think a whisky should be drunk and not gather dust.

Vielen Dank
Bart
Bart

Postby Aidan » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:44 pm

I have just bought a JWWW Port Ellen 22 yr old Train label. I think I got it at a keen price too, but who knows.

Might be the start of a JWWW collection for me. These whiskys seem to go for a lot more than the standard releases.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby micheluzzo » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:19 pm

JW will continue with other ranges. Above the OTL range there is the 'gentle nose' range with at least one bottling till now. Hand bottled. I guess it's a Tomintoul.
Maybe there will be also a special range with bottles in a wooden box - we will see.
The cheapest range with a lot of good whiskies is his 'Scottish Castle' range, some are cask strength, some are with 40 or 43%.
One of them was a fantastic Christmas malt, a Longmorn.

From the OTL set I only know the two Port Ellen (first was better but more rare ans shared with the Scotch Malt Whisky Circle), the Bowmore (shared with Hart Brothers), the Strathisla 40ys (great stuff) and the new Inchgower (too woody, some lack in the middle).
I think it is a special kind of marketing to launch such 'special limited editions'. In Germany it is even harder to get such bottles than in Switzerland.

Btw: most of them you can taste in Jacks bar in Berlin.
micheluzzo

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder