Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ledaig

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Ledaig

Ledaig

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:37 pm

Purchased a bottle of Ledaig Sherry finish 42% on a visit to Mull last year. It is not very nice at all. I've tasted (far too) many whiskies and this is by far the worst I've tasted. Could it be I've just been unlucky with a bad batch or is it a poor expression
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:51 pm

I like the 15yo OB and a 10yo from Gordon & MacPhail was also good, as was one from Cadenheads. Sounds like either a poor bottle or a poor cask for the one you tried. What didn't you like about it? Ledaig ranges from light island (Tobermory) to peaty and smoky like the 15yo OB.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:01 pm

It tastes of burnt rubber and has no depth. I have a Signatory 1993 bottling which is very nice and some of the distillery characteristics are present in both. However,the sherried expression seems wholly unbalanced.
Having read some reviews on it either the reviewers are way off the mark, which is highly unlikely, or I have a duff bottle!
Deactivated Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:05 am

Crieftan:

My thought would be to ask if you usually like Coastal whiskies with not insignificant peat. If so, sounds like perhaps, a bad bottle. If you don't usually like Bowmore or Caol Ila, you just may not like the house Ledaig style.

Just a thought.
Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:04 pm

On the contrary - I tend to favour the West which is why I am surprised by this bottle. I'm starting to think that despite the myth, you can get a bad bottle of whisky! Only one so far though - not bad going.
Deactivated Member

Related whiskies : Ledaig

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder