Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Tormore 12 yo

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Tormore 12 yo

Postby patrick dicaprio » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:30 pm

i bought a bottle at a duty free store in Jamaica with no idea if it is good or not. Does anyone have an opinion on this whisky?

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby richard » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:58 pm

i have never heard anything good mentioned about tormore i am afraid to say

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby patrick dicaprio » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:25 am

uh oh.

I guess there is a lesson on there somewhere. If only i could put my finger on it. :oops:

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:32 am

After consulting Jackson and Murray, I would guess that it's a perfectly drinkable, if undistinguished, Speysider. Jackson notes that critics have called it "metallic" but Murray says recent product is much improved over former bottlings. I'd say enjoy it when you don't really want to think too hard about what you're drinking, or serve it to your friends. In any case, do let us know what you think about it--you're the one with the bottle! Who knows, maybe you will introduce us to a hidden gem.
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:41 pm

Sampled Tormore last November at a whisky event in New York...I know the company that owns it along with Laphroaig and Scapa has been trying to reintroduce it to the market. I thought it was OK...but as with most things, your mileage (or kilometerage) may vary.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:17 pm

I echo Mr. Tattieheads comments, it's a nice drinkable Speysider but seems to generate either 'like it' or 'hate it' comments.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:37 am

I wonder if there's any such thing as an "OK" malt anymore?

Malts are either heralded as sublime, or blasted for being poor and out of balance. We rarely describe something as just being OK and acceptable these days?

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:55 am

I think there are quite a few "okay" malts--ones you'd be perfectly happy to drink, but won't spend any time ruminating over. One I had recently that doesn't stand out in my mind is Tamnavulin. The mother of all "okay" malts is Glenfiddich 12, I think (although I'm sure someone will pounce on me for that). There seem to be quite a lot of these Speyside. It's not really a good position for a malt to aspire to, but to be fair, most of these are probably largely meant for blends and are only incidentally single malts.

On the other hand, the only malts I've had that I thought were entirely unenjoyable were Tobermory, Bowmore, and Fettercairn. And I'm sure those have their fans.
Deactivated Member

Postby patrick dicaprio » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:11 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I think there are quite a few "okay" malts--ones you'd be perfectly happy to drink, but won't spend any time ruminating over. One I had recently that doesn't stand out in my mind is Tamnavulin. The mother of all "okay" malts is Glenfiddich 12, I think (although I'm sure someone will pounce on me for that). There seem to be quite a lot of these Speyside. It's not really a good position for a malt to aspire to, but to be fair, most of these are probably largely meant for blends and are only incidentally single malts.

On the other hand, the only malts I've had that I thought were entirely unenjoyable were Tobermory, Bowmore, and Fettercairn. And I'm sure those have their fans.

Which bowmore, all of them?? there are a few that i think are good but none that are great. i wont pass up a free one thats for sure!

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby MGillespie » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:12 pm

I think there's nothing wrong with an "okay" single malt. You're right in that some malts were really made for blending, but distillery prestige these days almost depends on having at least one single malt expression.

IMHO, Tormore's not a bad malt. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it at the store or order it at a bar, but I wouldn't turn it down if someone offered me a dram...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

tasting notes

Postby patrick dicaprio » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:40 am

i finally had it and cracked the bottle. here are my initial impressions, subject to change of course until i finish the bottle:

Nose:
Very nutty, chopped peanuts as on ice cream. Vanilla comes through with water.

Palate:Sweet and acidic but not very complex and a bit rough.

Finish:Long and biting.

Comments:Gives the impression of more of a highland whisky than a speysider. Very ditinct nose but rough palate. Could be better but overall is average and accessible to most palates.
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:19 am

Well, that's hardly the kiss of death and as Admiral said up top it sounds like an OK dram.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder