Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Compass Box musings

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Compass Box musings

Postby Crispy Critter » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:48 am

Yesterday, I had a dram of Eleuthera, and the day before, a dram of Peat Monster. I love them both, but if I had to choose one or the other, I'd go with the Eleuthera. It is definitely more complex than PM.

Hedonism is a very nice change of pace when I want something other than a malt, but it's a bit pricy. But it has piqued my interest in single grain bottlings - any recommendations? Everything I've read indicates that Scotch grain whisky really needs lots of time in good casks to be worth bottling on its own without being blended with malt.

Orangerie - it's like bottled sunshine. The orange and spices really do a nice job of complementing the whisky!

I have a bottle of Asyla, but I haven't opened it yet - I'm in "opened bottles only" mode right now - but based on my experience with the other Compass Boxen, I'd expect it to be a very nice blend...
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:56 pm

I enjoy Eleuthera and Hedonism isn't bad (grain whisky really isn't my thing, I prefer malt whisky) but around here both are too expensive. I can get 12yo Caol Ila or 14yo Clynelish for the price of Eleuthera and it seems like a single malt whisky should be more than a blended malt whisky (new terminology). The Hedonism is even more!

Nice to try but not to buy IMO.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby PoppaMitch » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:38 pm

If you can get a bottle, try the Compass Box 'Monster.' Its the original cask strength version of 'Peat Monster' bottled exclusively for Park Ave. Liquors in NYC (I also think the Whisky Exchange has some for sale). P.A.L. will ship. I think the 'Monster' is the richest, most complex dram of the three, and is one of my personal favorites.
PoppaMitch

Postby Admiral » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:13 pm

I've only tried the Hedonism. Based purely on the price versus flavour ratio, this must be one of the worst whiskies on the market!! :)

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Crispy Critter » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:28 am

I wouldn't agree with that assessment of Hedonism, unless you don't like grain whisky. :) In any case, I feel it's good enough to buy it again.

As for the price of Eleuthera and Peat Monster, I don't feel they're bad deals at all, and I feel that vatting can offer some very interesting whiskies.

Sometimes, though, I can't help but wonder if whiskies are priced by the rolling of dice. As an example, in the Chicago area, at three stores within ten miles of one another, I've seen Ardbeg 10 priced at $30 8), $40 :?, and $55 :shock:. One store will have Highland Park 18 at $65, another has it at $80. On the bright side, it gives me a reason to shop around and check out different stores...
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:59 am

Admiral wrote:I've only tried the Hedonism. Based purely on the price versus flavour ratio, this must be one of the worst whiskies on the market!! :)

Cheers,
Admiral

I beg to differ - respectfully of course. JW Blue gets my vote!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:32 pm

Recently a group of us tried most of the Compass Box offerings at a tasting event and for all of us the Peat Monster was the clear winner. As for the price - we have no idea!
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder