Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bowmore 40YO $10,000 CAD

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Bowmore 40 Years Old, 1969

Bowmore 40YO $10,000 CAD

Postby Flamemax » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:26 pm

I went to a local SAQ (Gov, owned booze shop) in Montreal, it was one of the high-end shops. I saw a bottle of Bowmore 40YO the price tag was 10,000 dollars. I observed that the bottle was in a glass display along with other good high priced bottles. The Bowmore 40 was in a -clear- glass bottle and not protected from light in any way shape or form.
Could this affect the taste/flavor/smell in the long run?

To say the least I was shocked.

Robb
Flamemax

Postby Tom » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:34 pm

It will affect the color if it stays in the sun for too long. As far as i know the flavors wont change, but this is from hearsay.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Crispy Critter » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:52 am

*choke* Here I am, reluctant to spend more than $100 US on a bottle of anything, and that's a special treat! Most of what I buy is in the $30-$60 range.

I can't see plunking down big bucks on a too-expensive-to-drink bottle... especially if it costs as much as a decent used car!
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:34 pm

Remember the Bowmore 40 comes with a weekend in the Bowmore guest quarters on Islay so that makes it all worth it :roll:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Oliver » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:29 am

Remember the Bowmore 40 comes with a weekend in the Bowmore guest quarters on Islay so that makes it all worth it Rolling Eyes

Does it include airfaire from anywhere in the world? :)

Oliver
http://www.maltresistance.blogspot.com
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:35 pm

Oliver wrote:
Remember the Bowmore 40 comes with a weekend in the Bowmore guest quarters on Islay so that makes it all worth it Rolling Eyes

Does it include airfaire from anywhere in the world? :)

And the company of the proverbial French Whore? :?

Robb, I assume that was in the shop in Ailes on St-Catherine...lots of interesting expensive stuff there, a great deal of it actually intended to be drunk. Whether anyone who spends $10,000 on a bottle (even if it is Canadian) will actually drink it, or save it as a collectible investment, is an open question. Such a person has more money than sense, in my book.

As for light, whisky is not as susceptible to UV as beer is--it's compounds in hops that produce that skunky aroma when subjected to UV, and whisky has no hops. Normally it's not something you have to worry about. I wouldn't store a bottle where it would be subjected to direct sunlight, but that's just good sense for any bottled product.
Deactivated Member

Understood!

Postby Flamemax » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:43 pm

[/quote]
And the company of the proverbial French Whore? :?
[/quote]

ROFL
Flamemax

Postby Lawrence » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:01 am

Did you all hear about the Bowmore 40 that was stolen from a liquor store in Edmonton Alberta and then the theif tried to ransom it back to the store? It happened about 8 years ago and it was never recovered. I wonder it he drank it?
Last edited by Lawrence on Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:29 am

I hope he didn't kill it!

I also read about the story in Andrew Jefford's book "Peat, Smoke & Spirit" .

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:52 pm

Saw the bottle in question this weekend in Montreal. Two fellows were looking at it. "Does that say $10,000?!?" one asked. "It does," I replied, just as if I really knew what I was talking about, even though I wasn't close enough to see the sticker.

The shop in question has a lot of interesting high-end stuff, particularly Douglas Laing bottlings, as well as cognac, armagnac, and even four or five calvados. Calvadoses. Whatever.
Deactivated Member

Related whiskies : Bowmore 40 Years Old, 1969

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder