Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Jameson Gold

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Jameson Gold

Jameson Gold

Postby bamber » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:26 pm

Cracked open my bottle of this on St. Patrick's day and was very impressed. The nose was especially interesting.

n: Sharp and tangy potstill, rather like standard Jameson but with mild fruitiness, chocolate and heavy bourbon undertones.
t: Good transference of nose to palate, with great bitter / sour / sweet balance, with the oak slightly more apparent.
b: Great whisky well worth trying.

Score: 90
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:33 pm

Bamber

I also like this very much. You probably know this, but some of the whiskey is matured in virgin oak, like a bourbon. Wonderful nose.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:39 pm

Do you mean Jameson 18yo Master Selection or is there also a Gold one? It has gold on the packaging but doesn't say "Gold" anywhere. I recently opened a bottle of the 18yo (much better than the standard).

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby bamber » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:21 am

Aidan, I'm not sure I knew that but now you say it, it does ring a bell.

Harry, it's called 'Jameson Gold' and has a gold label. It's about half the price of the 18YO.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:51 am

Harry:

Jameson Gold is a different bottling than the 18yr old. From the description from Bamber, it also sounds very different from what I remember of Jameson 18.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:56 am

Jameson Gold was created for the duty free market. It contains a lot of pot still whiskey, some of which is matured in virgin oak, unlike any other Irish whiskey (apart from the old Jameson Marconi).

It also varies from batch to batch, but is generally very very good - If you like this kind of thing, that is.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Related whiskies : Jameson Gold

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder