Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Longrow 10 & 14

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Longrow 10 & 14

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:28 am

Hi All!
The Longrow 10 and the 14 are now available where I live. I'm a bit surprised by the fact that they are similarly priced. The 14 only costs ca. 8 GBP more then the 10. Shouldn't it be a lot more expensive, and have you tried any of them and which one do you recomend?
Sorry for all the questions.

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby andrewfenton » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:11 am

I actually found the 10 to be nicer, but still not worth the price. Of course that might vary locally, but here it's just under £40. Considering that for near £30 you can get Uigedail, Lagavulin16, Lochside19, Laproaig 10cs etc etc, all of which are far superior, I don't see the attraction. If it was 2/3 of the current price I might consider it, but it's just not interesting enough to be worth spending more.
andrewfenton
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:30 am

andrewfenton wrote:I actually found the 10 to be nicer, but still not worth the price. Of course that might vary locally, but here it's just under £40. Considering that for near £30 you can get Uigedail, Lagavulin16, Lochside19, Laproaig 10cs etc etc, all of which are far superior, I don't see the attraction. If it was 2/3 of the current price I might consider it, but it's just not interesting enough to be worth spending more.

Hi Andrew!
Thanks for the reply! My problem is that I have the above whiskies except the Lochside. I happen to know a person that has offered to buy a bottle for me when he goes home to Scotland in a few weeks. It might not be a good deal for anyone in GB but compared to the £90 it costs here it's a bargain. I definately don't want to pay that amount over here and would much rather buy the Bruichladdich 17 or the 3D which are much cheaper and possibly just as good!

All suggestions happily accepted though :)

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby lucabeer » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:16 pm

Personally I think that the Longrow 14 (autumn 2004 release) sucks big time: sour, disagreeable, weirdly sherried and with clashing flavours. It is the malt I have scored lowest in my malt mileage on MaltManiacs.

I prefer the 10yo, though it's overpriced.
lucabeer

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:18 pm

Hi!
Thank you all for your advices. It looks like I'll go for the 10 then!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:12 pm

Hm....I seem to be getting the idea that Longrow of any age and finish is almost a waste of money? - Or at least highly overpriced! Does that mean Springbank is a good option - the 15 YO perhaps?

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:23 pm

It seems to me that all the Springbanks and Longrows are on the pricey side, which is why I have tried so few of them. It's not that I won't pay $80-90 for a bottle, but I balk at paying $80-90 for a 10 or 12yo. (I haven't actually priced them lately, so don't take those figures literally.)
Deactivated Member

Postby andrewfenton » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:30 pm

Springbanks aren't too overpriced, but the problem seems to be the younger expressions aren't anything special. Their reputation appears to have been built on the old 21yr old, but that's way too expensive now (£150!).
andrewfenton
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:59 pm

Ok, thanks for the advice you've all given me! I haven't quite decided yet but I'm wondering if I'll ask him to look for Springbank 15 or Talisker 18. The last one is not available in Norway and I've read good things about it.

Thanks!

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby andrewfenton » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:36 am

If you like Talisker, there's also the Distiller's Edition (make sure you get the 1990 though, the others are not nearly as good).
andrewfenton
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:45 am

Thanks Andrew, I'll look into it!

Cheers!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Admiral » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:24 am

Recent, younger Springbanks certainly aren't the sublime whiskies that previous older Springbanks were.

A while ago, some here asked about whether Longrow was worth the extra pricetag. I wrote a reply which I'll hunt for in the archives and re-post it here if it seems helpful.

Remember that Springbank is an independent, family-owned distillery. It doesn't have the marketing arm of Diageo or Allied behind it, and it doesn't have the diversity of products to round out the market and spread costs.

Prices will therefore generally be higher than other similarly-aged malts.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:27 am

Found it....

It was under the topic, "Longrow - is it really that special?".

My reply was as follows:

First of all, bear in mind that Springbank itself is a much sought after dram, and demand often exceeds supply. So in regular Springbank, you already have a very respected & (usually) high-scoring whisky, that can be hard to come by. This is a recipe for higher prices.

So when the distillery then changes its production configuration & malt bill for just one month of the year to produce a different whisky (i.e. Longrow), you can imagine that this is a particularly rare & exclusive dram. Now good quality peated whiskies are in huge demand - there's only so much Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg, & Bowmore to go around. So - once again - when a great tasting peaty alternative turns up in small quantity for a short period each year, the bottler can charge a higher price, knowing that the market will bear it.

So - after all that - is it worth it? IMHO: Yes!

If Longrow tasted unpleasant, or bland, or just plain ordinary, then it wouldn't hold any appeal in the market place, and people certainly wouldn't pay the higher price for it.
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:55 am

Hi!
Your explanation makes sense. I still haven't decided but regarding the cost of buying Springbank/Longrow in Norway it's certainly reasonable to buy it abroad. I'll have to buy any of them at some point so I guess now would be just as good. But I also want that Talisker 18 :cry:

Cheers!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Lawrence » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:34 am

We had the Longrow sherry wood finish a while ago(sorry I cannot remember the age) and I really enjoyed the combination of peat and sherry. I think both Longrows and Springbanks of the past were 'topped' up with older whiskies which gave them some sophistication beyond their years. These older whiskies are now gone and I suspect they now have to stand on their own merits.

However having said that I really enjoy the current 10 year old and really love the 15 but admittedly the price is higher than other's of a similar age. For example OB Talisker 18 here is C$96 and the Springbank 15 is C$150.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby lucabeer » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:31 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:Hm....I seem to be getting the idea that Longrow of any age and finish is almost a waste of money? - Or at least highly overpriced! Does that mean Springbank is a good option - the 15 YO perhaps?

Skål!
Christian

If you want a Springbank/Longrow, either go for a very old one (expensive!) or for the cheapest ones.

Personally, I think that the ordinary 10yo is a very good sweet dram. The 175th Anniversary is also good.

Forget all fancy stuff like port/rum finishes, terribly overpriced and IMHO not very good.
lucabeer

Postby Crispy Critter » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:26 pm

I quite liked the Longrow 10 that I finished last month, and its price didn't seem too out-of-line from other midrange malts. If my shelf wasn't already overcrowded, I'd pick up another one.
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

Postby badams » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:31 pm

longrow 14 is great, reminds a bit of lagavulin 16, but different. it is unique

LONGROW 14

The malt for Longrow is dried entirely over a peat fire with the spirit being
double distilled in the traditional Scottish style. Dried fruit and gentle
smokiness on the nose give little warning as to the bonfire of flavors which
dance around the palate.
Sherry and bourbon casks for maturation give an initial rush of both
sweetness and spice before the peat smoke arrives to overwhelm the senses,
lingering long after the flames have died down.
badams

Re: Longrow 10 & 14

Postby corbuso » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:44 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:Hi All!
The Longrow 10 and the 14 are now available where I live. I'm a bit surprised by the fact that they are similarly priced. The 14 only costs ca. 8 GBP more then the 10. Shouldn't it be a lot more expensive, and have you tried any of them and which one do you recomend?
Sorry for all the questions.

Skål!
Christian

The price different is quite correct.
For some tasting notes, you can have a look there:
http://www.whisky-news.com/En/tasting_list.html

BR
Corbuso
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:45 pm

Thanks Corbuso and Badams, since I wrote this post I've bought the 14 and the recently available 10yo 100 Proof. The latter was bargain compared to the standard 10 but I wonder if the importer has lowered the prices recently. I'll check out your tasting notes Corbuso :)
Mr Fjeld

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder