Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Irish malt tasting

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Irish malt tasting

Postby lexkraai » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:01 am

Hi all

for the last few months, I've been trying to get my hands on as many different Irish malts as I could, for a comparative tasting. Result is now published in 'Malt Maniacs': http://www.maltmadness.com/mm13a.html#13-12

Enjoy!
Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:35 am

Hi Lex

I really enjoyed your article. You were wondering about a cask strength Tyrconnell, well that could happen, and maybe a 13 yr old version.

I also noticed that the Coola Mills website has disappeared - I hope this is not because the project has gone down the tubes.

If the Coola Mills and Kilbeggan projects are done correctly, it will be the best thing to happen to Irish whiskey in many years. Of course, I hope they make pot still as well as malt whickey.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby lexkraai » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:40 am

Thanks Aidan!

Definitely curious about a cask strength Tyrconnell .... As to Coola Mills, I tried to get in touch with John Deegan to get the latest (and mention that in the article if possible), but didn't get a reply. Given that and the disappearance of the web-site, I did start to worry, but didn't want to put any negative rumours in the article without actually knowing what's going on. So that's why I just left it at a brief mention.

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby patrick dicaprio » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:01 pm

as far as redbreast is concerned it is as good as most single malt scotch whiskies, IMO.

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:10 pm

I prefer it to nearly all single malt scotch, but that's just me. There are a few more Irish I'd rank along side it, and some above it.

Unfortunately, there just isn't the same variety of Irish whiskeys as there are American and Scotch. It's getting much better,though.
Aidan

Postby patrick dicaprio » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:12 pm

Aidan wrote:I prefer it to nearly all single malt scotch, but that's just me. There are a few more Irish I'd rank along side it, and some above it.

Unfortunately, there just isn't the same variety of Irish whiskeys as there are American and Scotch. It's getting much better,though.

i havent had a lot of irish whiskies, so what would you rank above it?

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:24 pm

Hi Patrick

Well, it changes from time to time, but I would rank Powers 12 and Jameson 12 alongside it.

I would put the Jameson 15 and the Green Spot ahead of it. The Jameson 15 pure pot still is just superb, although I don't think everyone would like it as it's a bit musty.

Then there's the old pot stills like Midleton 25 and Knappogue Castle 1951, along with some of the Cadenhead Tullamores...

I think Cooley produces some good stuff, and I think as their stock gets older, they could come up with some really excellent standard bottlings. Only time will tell.
Aidan

Postby lexkraai » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:33 pm

My article focuses om Irish malt whiskies and I think it's quite amazing to see so many different bottling coming from essentially two distilleries. As to my all-time favourite Irish whiskey, that has to be a 1949 Tullamore pot still bottled by Cadenhead .... so full of flavour it makes you cry to realise what has been lost ...

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:36 pm

Alex

Yes, they are wonderful bottlings. I have not tasted that vintage, but did have the 42 yr old. The Knappogue Castle 1951 is also essentially the same spirit.

The whiskeys (or should I say whiskys) form the old Midleton distillery are of a similar class, I believe. There is no Irish whiskey like these being produced today. The closest was the Jameson 15.

I believe they also used oats in the mash back then. As you know, the stills from the Daly Tullamore distillery exist in the Kilbeggan Museum, so it would be great to see them fired up and making similar pot still whiskey again.

The Cadenhead bottling from the old Bow Street Distillery is similar, although much too woody. You can see what was once underneath, however.
Aidan

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:50 pm

From my experience Irish whiskeys are all quite wonderfully smooth, drinkable as well as easy on the stomach. The only one that really jumped out and made any distinct statement of unique taste were the expressions from Cooley's distillery Dundalk N.Ireland. Pure pot stills double distilled single malt that is so wonderfull you will have a hard time deciding witch one will be your favourite LOL.
Connemara is thier finest? It is a must try!!
Magilligan 5 yr old unpeated and Magilligan 8 yr old peated are available readily and are ablolutely scrumptious.
Jon Mark & Robbo's (the sweet & smooth one) is a bottling of an 8 yr old malt from cooley's smooth with waves of vanilla and honey , very sapid indeed.
This distillery makes the tastiest malts to rival any other in the world.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby patrick dicaprio » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:29 am

Aidan wrote:Hi Patrick

Well, it changes from time to time, but I would rank Powers 12 and Jameson 12 alongside it.

I would put the Jameson 15 and the Green Spot ahead of it. The Jameson 15 pure pot still is just superb, although I don't think everyone would like it as it's a bit musty.

Then there's the old pot stills like Midleton 25 and Knappogue Castle 1951, along with some of the Cadenhead Tullamores...

I think Cooley produces some good stuff, and I think as their stock gets older, they could come up with some really excellent standard bottlings. Only time will tell.

I recently tasted the Midleton Very Rare 20yo. Very Nice!! I was amazed at how distinctly you could smell and taste cream soda, and it still had that distinctive irish whisky finish. i would put it right up there with redbreast but maybe a notch below. old opinions die hard. :)

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby rthomson » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:14 am

I enjoyed reading your article. I haven't had much access to Irish whiskies, aside from the standards, and if I've come across any that you reviewed in your article it's only been a few. After reading, I know I'll make a point of keeping a sharper eye out for them.

A friend who goes to Ireland each year usually brings back a few bottles of Tullamore Dew, 12 yo. It's a blend and I found it much more interesting than I had expected it to be. The overtones of caramel and vanilla, I think I'd almost call it buttery, made for a nice dram. I believe the 12 yo is only available in Ireland and perhaps in duty free. Does that sound correct?

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:34 pm

patrick dicaprio wrote:I recently tasted the Midleton Very Rare 20yo. Very Nice!! I was amazed at how distinctly you could smell and taste cream soda, and it still had that distinctive irish whisky finish. i would put it right up there with redbreast but maybe a notch below. old opinions die hard. :)

Pat

Pat, is this the pure pot still bottle? This sells for EUR 2,000 in Ireland, but is suposed to be superb. A bit over priced, though. The most recent vintages of the Midleton Very Rare are the best, in my opinoin, although I haven't tasted all the vintages.

Lord_Pfaffin wrote:This distillery makes the tastiest malts to rival any other in the world.

Actually, tasty is a very good word to describe Cooley's whiskeys. They are getting better and better. I have just tried a Cadenhead bottling of Cooley peated 12 yr old that was the best I've tasted yet from the distillery.

Patrick
Aidan

Postby hpulley » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:35 am

Jameson is a real moody whisky for me. Some nights I love it, other nights it is not so great. Tonight I really enjoyed a couple drams of Jameson 18yo Master Selection. Might have to try the 12yo 1780...

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:04 am

Harry

The 12 yr old is heavier than the others, apart from the 15. I think it's beautiful. According to Jim Murray, it has changed in flavor since it went from being called Jameson 1780 to Jameson 12, but according to Irish Distillers, the recipe hasn't changed. Anyway, I'd recommend it.
Aidan

Postby hpulley » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:36 pm

In Ontario, Canada the LCBO is still listing the 1780 but I'll have to check in the store to see what they really have, that or just a plain 12yo.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby patrick dicaprio » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:21 am

Aidan wrote:
patrick dicaprio wrote:I recently tasted the Midleton Very Rare 20yo. Very Nice!! I was amazed at how distinctly you could smell and taste cream soda, and it still had that distinctive irish whisky finish. i would put it right up there with redbreast but maybe a notch below. old opinions die hard. :)

Pat

Pat, is this the pure pot still bottle? This sells for EUR 2,000 in Ireland, but is suposed to be superb. A bit over priced, though. The most recent vintages of the Midleton Very Rare are the best, in my opinoin, although I haven't tasted all the vintages.

Lord_Pfaffin wrote:
unfortunately no. or at least i would assume since it was about $20US per glass!

Pat
This distillery makes the tastiest malts to rival any other in the world.

Actually, tasty is a very good word to describe Cooley's whiskeys. They are getting better and better. I have just tried a Cadenhead bottling of Cooley peated 12 yr old that was the best I've tasted yet from the distillery.

Patrick
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:38 am

Harry:

It's the 1780 that the LCBO stocks.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:33 am

The Jameson 12 still has the 1780 bit on it, but it's not as prominent as it was. The bottle is also slimer thatn the old one.

Here's the old one:

and here's the new one

Aidan

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder