Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glengoyne or Glendronach Cask Strength?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : The Glendronach Cask Strength

Glengoyne or Glendronach Cask Strength?

Postby MC5 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:57 pm

Could anyone give me an advice which one to buy, please?

Both should be really good I heard, the Glengoyne is around 43€ (sometimes you can get the liter bottle for 54) the Glendronach around 60, NAS, both presumably around 10 years old.
Could anyone tell me if the latter one is worth the extra money? I could get my hands on one of the last bottles of batch 1 or the newer batch 2.
I liked the Glendronach 15, once I tried two other Glengoyne in a supermarket and liked them but don't remember them well.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:
MC5

Re: Glengoyne or Glendronach Cask Strength?

Postby Peater The Great » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:21 am

Even though you probably made this decision long ago... my answer is the Glengoyne Cask Strength.

I love Glendronach and Glengoyne. I would say I love them equally but Glendronach, with their single casks, have given me a lot more variety, so maybe a slight edge to them overall.

But in this decision I'd take Glengoyne cask strength every time. With glendronach you're much better off spending you're money on a single cask bottle for comparable money. You'll get much more age and quality.

Glengoyne cask strength is what got me into glengoyne though. It's a really elegant, tasty, complex, sherried whisky. From taste alone I'm saying it averages a solid 2 years older than Glendronach cask strength, maybe more. Go glengoyne.
Peater The Great

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:04 pm

This isn't helping, but I would go the other way and get the Glendronach CS. The first batch was excellent.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Leorin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:01 am

Well, it seems to be a tie...
As I don't know the Glengoyne CS I can only say that I liked the Dronach CS Batch 1 a lot and liked it even a little more than the second release.
I guess it really comes down to personal taste whether you prefer the Goyne or the Dronach. The only way to make a rational descision would be to try both malts before you buy one of the bottles, so maybe you should try to get samples.
If you keep beeing stuck in the dilemma you could also take the easy way out and buy a bottle of Aberlour a'bounadh. :P
Leorin
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:06 pm

I suppose the positive thing is that no one is saying don't buy one or the other. seems to me that you are pretty safe whichever you choose.
Willie JJ

Postby Leorin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:59 pm

I agree with WilliJJ that both are good and thefore you cannot make the wrong descision.
But after having thought about it, I would go for the Glendronach CS Batch 1, mainly because it won't be around for much longer and 60 Euros seems to be a fair price.
The Glengoyne will probably still be available when you want to buy your next bottle.
:iwbrnt:
Leorin
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:54 pm

There is wisdom in those words :)
Willie JJ

Related whiskies : The Glendronach Cask Strength

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder