Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Rare Malts Glenury Royal 28 Year Old Value?

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Rare Malts Glenury Royal 28 Year Old Value?

Postby slim_chanse » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:43 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know what my 1970 Glenury Royal 28 Year Old 58.4% is currently worth?

I am looking to sell but cannot find any recent sales of this, have seen them go from 1000 to 1500 Euros on whiskyauction.com but that was a few years ago. Never see these coming up for auction and there don't seem to be any retailing anywhere.

I have contacted a couple of retailers but they want me to say an asking price so any help would be appreciated, my email is slim.chanse@dsl.pipex.com

Cheers
slim_chanse

Re: Rare Malts Glenury Royal 28 Year Old Value?

Postby agoldf » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:14 pm

As you seem to be familiar with whisky auction you must have seen that the most recent sale, little over a year ago, was for 893 and that there were two sales in 2011 for even less - so I wonder why you emphasized results from the distant past and claimed that there were no more recent results.
But assuming you are not just shilling your product and want a sense of its value, (and notwithstanding your knowledge of whisky auction, know nothing of mctears or Bonhams) other sales show that that price may have been high: it went for around 300 at mctears, (once you account for the rosebank) http://www.mctears.co.uk/auctions/lot.a ... ab2&page=2
and more recently at bonhams for around 600 euro.
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19871/lot/183/
agoldf

Postby slim_chanse » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:06 am

thanks for the reply, no...I hadn't seen the bonhams or mctears bottles, I know what fee's at bonhams are like so a buyer would have been paying £880 for this over a year ago, I was hoping more for a current value, I also know what the whisky market has been like in the past year, this could sell for a good bit more at scotchwhiskyauctions? or am I expecting way too much? I had planned to put this in for auction but missed the deadline, my reserve was going to be £800 out of interest but I would like to see how well it does.
slim_chanse

Postby slim_chanse » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:11 am

Oh and by the way you were wrong with your quotes, both bottles sold for a lot more than you quoted ...are you trying to low ball me? ;-)
slim_chanse

Postby agoldf » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:53 am

Of course your failure to mention the three more recent whisky auction results - not one of which reached 900 euro - speaks volumes. Were you unable to see those as well? Just "looking for recent valuation"?
I have no interest in your bottle as I do not collect RMs. But please don't use your first two posts to try to trick people.
It would help if you could read. The bonhams prices include premium:
Lot 183 from the 10th of October 2012:
Glenury Royal-28 year old-1970
Bottled October 1998. Rare Malts Selection.
Bottle number 390. In original carton. Good labelling. Level: very top shoulder. 75 cl. Single malt, 58.4% volume
Teaninich-23 year old-1973
Bottled April 1997. Rare Malts Selection.
Bottle number 3902. Level: very top shoulder. 70 cl. Single malt, 57.1% volume
2 bottles
Sold for £687 (US$ 1,086) inc. premium

So with the Teaninich it went for 687 pounds, including premium, valuing the teaninich a bit over 100 pounds puts the Glenury at around 600 euro.
At mctears the lot went for only 480 pounds together with an 81 rosebank which generally goes for around 200 pounds. so the glenury was under 300 pounds. even adding premium you are only at 350 pounds. so 400 euro.
agoldf

Postby agoldf » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:06 am

slim_chanse wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know what my 1970 Glenury Royal 28 Year Old 58.4% is currently worth?

I am looking to sell but cannot find any recent sales of this, [Really what about the three on whiskyauction all within the past 2 years?] have seen them go from 1000 to 1500 Euros on whiskyauction.com [never hit 1500] but that was a few years ago. Never see these coming up for auction [so if you don't know bonhams and mctears, the two biggest auction houses in the UK for whisky at which auctions does this bottle "never" come up?] what and there don't seem to be any retailing anywhere.

I have contacted a couple of retailers but they want me to say an asking price so any help would be appreciated, my email is slim.chanse@dsl.pipex.com

Cheers
agoldf

Postby slim_chanse » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:49 pm

I really don't understand what your attitude is all about, trying to trick who exactly? from my first post your replies have had a certain tone which I do not take kindly to at all, I have to seriously question your motives, who in their right mind would deal with mctears or bonhams nowadays? I certainly don't and stopped doing so a while back when fee's went to 25%. Just how many bottles were in bonhams last sale?

On to the question of current value, I clearly stated that I was looking for a current value, as there has been literally none of these that have been sold in the last year anywhere, there are also none for sale at retail so it does point to the rarity of the bottle and does make me question what it's true value is.

Could you possibly be from one of the retailers that I contacted regarding this bottle or are you just a green eyed monster who really likes the bottle but cannot afford it?
I also wonder why you keep talking of mctears and bonhams, just how many bottles of this have sold on scotchwhiskyauctions? the best whisky auction site currently by a long way. It's clear to me that you want to give a lowball estimate for the bottle but is also clear to me that you are in no position to give an honest current value so maybe we should leave it at that. thanks
slim_chanse

Postby slim_chanse » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:23 pm

my original posting was correct as well, you seem to have omitted these results from your own comments!
glenury prices.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
slim_chanse

Postby agoldf » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:46 pm

I could not care less for your bottle and thankfully have a collection the value exceeds this bottle by a multiple of many hundreds.
You are correct about my tone and it is my sincere hope you are offended as you have offended me, and I assume other users as well. You have used your first two posts on this site to grossly misrepresent the value of your bottle by clearly lying about the lack of recent auction results.

I never said that it did not go for 1000+ on whiskyauction at one point in time. These results are from years ago and what I said was that the three more recent results - which you claimed did not exist - are all at under 900.
agoldf

Postby slim_chanse » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:55 pm

I have not lied, misrepresented any value or made any of the claims that you talk of, you are the one who is making assumptions and going out of his way to offend me, I think you should read my original post again (1 by the way, not 2, no idea how it got duplicated but it is still 1 post). I clearly say current value and have seen them go for what I said, I also did say the results were from years ago as were some of the results you spoke of, yet you still find it difficult to acknowledge that one of the said bottles sold for 1500 euros, you made me out to be a liar so the picture proves what my findings were, we are talking of around 6 bottles that have sold in the last 6 years so everything I have said is accurate and true, you clearly do have a huge interest in my post for whatever reason, I have never claimed what you say and I have not made any assumptions of what other people may think, unlike yourself I know what happens when you assume things!

On another point, having studied and compared some lesser RM Glenury's it seems that prices have risen from between 30% to 120% in the time frame we are talking, that is only going back to 2010, thats great news!
slim_chanse

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder