Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardmore

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Ardmore

Ardmore

Postby andrewfenton » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:38 pm

Anyone got some comments on them? I see really good ratings (88 and 89) for the Signatory 1992/2003 at Serge Valentin's site, and given it's so cheap I'm instantly tempted..........
andrewfenton
Bronze Member

Postby rthomson » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:22 am

I haven't come across Ardmore in the shops I go to. I believe much of their production goes for blends. If it's well liked and the price is right then I'd go for it.

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:31 am

Trying to remember what an "ard" is.... Whatever it is, Ardmore is a big one and Ardbeg is a little one.
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:00 am

The Signatory Unchillfiltered series Ardmore '92 is a wonderful dram. Amazing stuff really, though its the only Ardmore I've had so I can't say much about the distillery output as a whole. Pick one up if you can.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Xavier » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:15 am

Hi,

I had (yes... had :cry: ) a 16 YO Ardmore G&McP (1981), which was indeed a very good dram. A fruity and nutty nose and a sweet and woody taste... according to my tasting notes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know Ardmore is only bottled by independants.

Xavier
Xavier

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:18 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Trying to remember what an "ard" is.... Whatever it is, Ardmore is a big one and Ardbeg is a little one.

Ardbeg --> "Small Height" Ard (Scottish Gaelic - high) beag (Scottish Gaelic small).

Ardmore --> "Big Height" Ard (Scottish Gaelic - high) mór (Scottish Gaelic - big).

Both can be found on my distillery names article: http://www.peatfreak.com/art-distilleryNames.php

There havent yet been added many Ardmore tatsing notes to my tatsing notes database, but there are two of myself it seems, one from Cadenhead's, and one form the smaller independent Ultimate (Van Wees in Holland), if that is any help to you andrewfenton. Both notes can be found here: http://www.peatfreak.com/Cnt.php?search=ardmore

If anyone has any tatsing notes to add for this (or any other!) distillery, then please be my guest and add it =) (if you make use of my free program its just a click on a button I guess...)

Excuses for the blant self-promotion, but I thought in this case it really was helpfull, aside of the spam!
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby hpulley » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:44 pm

Xavier wrote:Hi,

I had (yes... had :cry: ) a 16 YO Ardmore G&McP (1981), which was indeed a very good dram. A fruity and nutty nose and a sweet and woody taste... according to my tasting notes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know Ardmore is only bottled by independants.

Xavier

Up until now that has been true but I'm told there is or shortly will be an Ardmore OB.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:54 pm

And thanks to Xavier for that note =D
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby andrewfenton » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:01 pm

OK, thanks folks - I'll pick up a bottle this weekend, and post some notes here.
andrewfenton
Bronze Member

Postby karlejnar » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:10 pm

Trying to remember what an "ard" is

And "ard" in danish is something very different than in Gaelic.

It is a small stoneage kind of plough. And btw the symbol used for different clubs and the like here in my hometown Arden.

Sorry couldn't resist this one :oops:
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby richard » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:40 pm

there were two official bottlings a 12 year old still aroud somewhere and a 21 year old which was done for staff and sells for a lot of money if you look around i think you will find the 12 year old at a fair price

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:23 pm

karlejnar wrote:
Trying to remember what an "ard" is

And "ard" in danish is something very different than in Gaelic.

It is a small stoneage kind of plough. And btw the symbol used for different clubs and the like here in my hometown Arden.

Sorry couldn't resist this one :oops:

Thanks, Karl Ejnar--I'll file that information away for the occasion when I have opportunity to make a bilingual Gaelic-Danish pun. :roll:
Deactivated Member

Postby Frodo » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:45 am

hpulley wrote:The Signatory Unchillfiltered series Ardmore '92 is a wonderful dram. Amazing stuff really, though its the only Ardmore I've had so I can't say much about the distillery output as a whole. Pick one up if you can.

Harry

Even at it's price point?
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:54 am

I had a bottle from the SMWS a while ago, I almost wept when I finished off the last dram, it was that good. :cry:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:34 am

Frodo wrote:
hpulley wrote:The Signatory Unchillfiltered series Ardmore '92 is a wonderful dram. Amazing stuff really, though its the only Ardmore I've had so I can't say much about the distillery output as a whole. Pick one up if you can.

Harry

Even at it's price point?

$70 and $79? Absolutely! I think I'll be picking up another shortly since there isn't a lot new to buy these days at the LCBO.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby /george » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:27 am

So far I had only the G&M Ardmore 1985, 40%. Fruity, sweet, malty and a little bit smoky. Great whisky. Unfortunately I did buy only a miniature.
/george

Postby Frodo » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:42 am

Hmmm. So if I have C$70 I could get the Signatory Ardmore '92 or a G&M 10yr old Imperial. Choices, choices...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby andrewfenton » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:16 pm

I'm off to buy the 92 Sig Ardmore today, so I'll give you some tasting notes tonight :-)

Now just need to decide what to go with it: some 105, or Talisker 1990 DE. I'm in the shocking state of having no sherry monsters or any Talisker left, but can't really justify buying both :-)
andrewfenton
Bronze Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:35 pm

The 105 is really good! Go for it!

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:31 am

Yes go for the Glenfarclas 105, I love it.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Frodo » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:31 am

Deleted entry.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby andrewfenton » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:37 pm

OK, got the Ardmore. It's a Signatory bottling (Jun92-Oct04), bourbon cask 4859/4860, 46%, with no colouring/chillfiltration crap. Cost 25 pounds, which for comparison's sake is about the same as a bottle of OB HP12 here - ie pretty cheap.

Anyway, the whisky. Malty is the central theme - it's very cereal based, so if you like that type of whisky this is definitely a potential buy. The mouth feel is silky-smooth without being particularly oily, while the palate is mainly sweet malt with a medium body. It's light-to-medium peated, maybe 15ppm - about the same as Clynelish, but slightly less than west coasters like Talisker or Ledaig. This gives it a nice weight most Speysiders don't have - most pure bourbon cask examples are quite "delicate", if that makes sense. It's also moderately complex, but you don't need to go searching for the elements to enjoy it - a good anytime dram.

Summary: 85 points. It's very pleasant, easy to drink, yet with quite a lot of character. Of this sector of the market it's competing against the likes of the "quality", interesting, not mass-market, mostly non-sherried Speysiders: Braeval, Cragganmore, Longmorn, etc. If you like your malts to have malt, then this is definitely worth trying.

Edit: another dram, and I finally hit on what it reminded me of. It's like a better version of Springbank 10 - the same cereal, peat and sweetness combo, but without that slight immaturity and harsh finish that hurts the Springer.
Last edited by andrewfenton on Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
andrewfenton
Bronze Member

Postby andrewfenton » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:39 pm

Lawrence wrote:Yes go for the Glenfarclas 105, I love it.

Your post tipped the balance, so I did :-) Excellent value for £31. It's not maybe as sherry-layered as A'Bunadh, but the fruitiness makes it enjoyable in other ways. Terrific, terrific dram - I think this and A'Bunadh will alternate in the sherrymonster section of my whisky shelf :-)
andrewfenton
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:00 am

Glad you like it, I find it's a great dram, I drank a whole bottle of it on a skiing holiday in January :D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:24 am

Lawrence wrote:Glad you like it, I find it's a great dram, I drank a whole bottle of it on a skiing holiday in January :D

And it was all downhill after that!
Deactivated Member

Postby jimidrammer » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:39 am

I also done some whisky scouting today and picked up a bottle of the Ardmore Signatory 1992 (Feb.92-Aug.03) 11 yr old. The reviews so far are right on. A better Springbank 10, a Scapa 12, not as sweet as Clynelish 14, but you can see where it falls in its style. My first impression notes are: nose- clean, spirity and lemony; body- silky smooth for such a young age, but with some bite. The non- chill filtering really lets the flavors bounce around your mouth; palate- sweet, malty, buttery with lots of cereal notes clinging to your tongue; finish- long, dry and so soothing. Ah, another winner I will be stocking up on :D

Also purchased an HP18, Oban14, and Glen Scotia14. Way too many open to try those yet though :(
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby andrewfenton » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:30 pm

I also done some whisky scouting today and picked up a bottle of the Ardmore Signatory 1992 (Feb.92-Aug.03) 11 yr old.

Should say that's slightly different from mine, which was a 1992/2004. I think you may have got the better bottling, since I've seen some reviews giving yours marks in the upper 80s.
andrewfenton
Bronze Member

Re: Ardmore

Postby DramMeister » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:27 pm

Hey this is an old thread.

I'm considering buying an OB Ardmore.
I have tried it a long time ago but I can't remember if I liked it. The label talks of peatiness which caught my eye. Does anyone know anything about it?
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:35 pm

Yep the new OB Ardmore is peaty and delicious. If you like peated malt you should check it out, but it won't hit you like an Islay. Its a lot more subtle than that.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:45 pm

Willie JJ wrote:Yep the new OB Ardmore is peaty and delicious. If you like peated malt you should check it out, but it won't hit you like an Islay. Its a lot more subtle than that.

I'm with Willie on this one. Its a very pleasant Dram. A bit like HP12 with a wiff of Peat. Definetly buy it.

:)
les taylor

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:51 pm

...and drier than an HP12 . Definitely different, and likeable.

Great? i dunno! Certainly not a beginner's dram, and judging by my 25 YO singer friend, who' relatively new to whisky|( thanks to me she's moved from Glenmo to Lagavulin and A'bunadh in about a year!) she took a sip and said "No thanks! I'll have the Talisker!"
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby DramMeister » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:19 pm

OK, that's enough arm twisting, I'll buy it.

I won't be able to tell you want I think of it till after christmas (A present to myself via a proxy).

Cheers
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:26 pm

DramMeister wrote:OK, that's enough arm twisting, I'll buy it.

I won't be able to tell you want I think of it till after christmas (A present to myself via a proxy).

Cheers

DM you didn't say you were buying yourself a present. Don't muck about, go and get the new Black Bowmore you know you want to.

:wink:
les taylor

Postby DramMeister » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:37 pm

les taylor wrote:DM you didn't say you were buying yourself a present. Don't muck about, go and get the new Black Bowmore you know you want to.

What's the price on that Les?
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:14 pm

DramMeister wrote:
les taylor wrote:DM you didn't say you were buying yourself a present. Don't muck about, go and get the new Black Bowmore you know you want to.

What's the price on that Les?[/quote

DM it's only a mere £1,949.99. The first one was £93. So a bargain. I think you deserve it.

:)
les taylor

Related whiskies : Ardmore

Next

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder