Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Oban

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Oban

Oban

Postby Nock » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:53 am

I think most of us are aware of the shortages of Lagavulin in the recent years. However, I have heard from a couple of different sources recently that Oban 14 has also been hard to come by lately.

I heard it first over Christmas in Nashville (my friend had been given a bottle for Christmas and was ecstatic because he hadn't been able to come by one for a while).
And now recently at my local liquor store in Seattle. The owner was telling me that in the past few years he hasn't been able to keep either Lagavulin or Oban in stock.

Are these just two weird places where locals stores just can't get enough Oban, or is there something else I am just not aware of.

Aaron
Nock
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:11 am

We've discussed distribution kinks before--in some states and provinces where liquor is controlled by government monopoly, the pertinent agency may not order very often. I noticed this particularly in Quebec, where Lagavulin has been entirely unavailable for half of a given year. Possible factors are:

1. Liquor board ordering policy
2. Liquor board apathy
3. Unexpected popularity of the product (either locally or worldwide)

I haven't heard of any particular shortage of Oban; maybe someone else here has. If it were in short supply, I would expect to see price hikes. I suspect the first two factors are most likely what you're looking at.
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:17 am

Oban was more or less subject to the same shortages and rumours that Lavaulin suffered a year or so ago - at least in these parts, anyway.

It definitely disappeared from quite a few shelves for a while, but it's back on board now.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Re: Oban

Postby rthomson » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:10 am

Nock wrote: The owner was telling me that in the past few years he hasn't been able to keep either Lagavulin or Oban in stock.

Which store do you usually go to? Even though they're all part of the same system there can be quite a difference in range of single malts from store to store. Oban 14 yo is readily available in stores around the state. Oban 32 yo is not uncommon either. If you live right in Seattle, then try the store on 12th and E. Pine. They have both Obans as well as Lagavulin 16 yo on the shelf.

I had quite a bit of trouble figuring out the system in Washington. The selection is a bit limited but after some searching I found that it's not as bad as I had first thought. Good luck with it.

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Nock » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:41 pm

rthomson
Which store do you usually go to? Even though they're all part of the same system there can be quite a difference in range of single malts from store to store.

I did say it was my local store. But that isn't quite the case. I actually live in Fremont but I most often hit the Liquor and Wine store behind the North Gate Mall because it is on my way to visit my sister's house. It tends to have more sale items then other stores. The guy who works there is a bit old and cranky. What happened was that my "local" store in Wallingford was out of Lagavulin and I stopped in at this other store and it only had 2 bottles left. I asked if there were anymore in the back and he said no. He then said they just couldn't seem to keep it in; that and Oban. I found it odd as he had about 15 bottles of Oban on the shelf just then. But it got me thinking especially after my friends experience in Nashville.

So I was just curious.

Aaron
Nock
Bronze Member

Postby Durttbeag » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:19 pm

[quote="MrTattieHeid"]We've discussed distribution kinks before--in some states and provinces where liquor is controlled by government monopoly, the pertinent agency may not order very often. I noticed this particularly in Quebec, where Lagavulin has been entirely unavailable for half of a given year. Possible factors are:

Well I do not know where Mr Tattieheid shops for LAGAVULIN in Quebec but there is lots of it here for me. I bought 3 bottles last week and there is some in most SAQ stores around here. The shortage he spoke about may be due to the SAQ strike a few months before Christmas. As for Oban There is a good suppy around here, but then again I do find that we in Quebec stock
some of the best stuff and lots of it.
I just bought 3 bottles of ARDBEG 1977 for $150 Cdn, each. They still have over 20 bottles in stock. They just recived Glenrothes 1992...good stuff. I have noticed just how lucky I am to be here in Quebec for Scotch supply, I only discovered this after reading many posts on this very forum. I wish I could buy it for you all but I am not sure about posting booze.

Good luck in your search for OBAN.
Can I send a bottle to the US or does the law not permit this?

Durttbeag
Durttbeag

Postby hpulley » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:03 pm

Individuals are not allowed to mail intoxicating substances in Canada, regardless of the destination.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby rthomson » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:59 am

Mailing liquor into Washington state is illegal and they claim to be strict about enforcing it. I can't personally verify their claim but the thought of losing a bottle, with its cost supplemented by the shipping, due to confiscation has been enough to deter me from trying.

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:37 am

If you need to ship something, use a courier and avoid the Post Office.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:12 am

Durttbeag wrote:Well I do not know where Mr Tattieheid shops for LAGAVULIN in Quebec but there is lots of it here for me. I bought 3 bottles last week and there is some in most SAQ stores around here. The shortage he spoke about may be due to the SAQ strike a few months before Christmas.

Actually, Db, it was a couple of years ago--as I recall, at least two years in a row, every bar in Quebec City was out of Lagavulin for about half the year, and my friend the bar manager told me that there wasn't any to be had from the SAQ. That gave me the impression that they only ordered it once a year, and had underestimated the year's demand, or else couldn't get it themselves. But it's only speculation.
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:36 am

Standard mode of operation these days in customer service is to make the customer happy BUT make sure he spends money in your place so if telling him there is no Lagavulin left on the planet means you don't leave his bar, that's mission accomplished. Most people don't drink Lagavulin so for them it is probably a waste to have a bottle on hand. Only place I ever see Lagavulin is places where they have the Classic Malts and just a blend or two more -- someone must have sold them on having that set.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Durttbeag » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:55 pm

hpulley wrote:Most people don't drink Lagavulin so for them it is probably a waste to have a bottle on hand.
Harry

Most places in Montreal do have Lagavulin, and I think Montrealers
like booze with some kick:wink:
Wink. Most people react to my Scotch talk by saying somthing like.. " Oh I like that smoky one...Lagavulin?

In our Downtown S.A.Q, there is a huge (40 bottles??) stock of Lagavulin as well as Springbank, bowmore, ardbeg and other goodies.
There store is quite well stocked. They did tell me recently that they have no more Lagavulin in the Warehouses and they do belive there is a supply shortage so I got a few bottles for the next new years..ha ha yea right, more like next few months.. :lol: I do wish you all had access to it.

Good luck with the Oban search
Durttbeag :D
Durttbeag

Postby hpulley » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:39 pm

I stand corrected.
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:32 pm

Just for the record, Harry, the bar manager in question is a very good friend with whom I often discuss Scotch and other bar business. And Lagavulin is very popular in Quebec City, as well as Montreal--I'd bet it's his number one seller (I'll ask him next time I see him). He runs a small place and can only afford to carry about a dozen or so malts, but he has a tasteful selection assembled in part with the judicious advice of his good friend Mr Tattie Heid! :D I have succeeded in turning him, and through him many of his customers, on to Ardbeg.

Db, hoarding only aggravates shortages...but you gotta do what you gotta do, don't you? If you exercise noble restraint, then the only obvious consequence is that you won't have any. :cry: So next time QC runs dry, Marc and I will hop the train and come to your house.... :lol:
Deactivated Member

Related whiskies : Oban

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder