Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Springbank's distillation process

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Springbank's distillation process

Postby Admiral » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:22 pm

I know the answer to this question lies somewhere in one of the 15 or so books I have on whisky, but I also know it will take me a long time to locate the right page in the right book, and I suspect colleagues here might be able to provide a faster answer.

So.......here's the question:

Can anyone succinctly describe the distillation process that Springbank employs that amounts to their so-called "Two-and-a-half times distillation"?

I remember it has something to do with what portions of the foreshots and feints go back for re-distillation, but I can't recall the exact details.

Can anyone assist?

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:11 pm

They have three pot stills in Springbank, but only half of the double distilled distillate is redistilled in the third still, making it a 2.5 times distilled spirit.

Actually, the amount of the amount of low wines that goes into the third still varies according to different recipes they want to produce.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby robs42 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:57 pm

I read that the third distillation comprises 80% feignts (from the second distillation) and 20% low wines (straight from the first distillation). The middle cut is then taken from the third distillation. I'm sure this changes, but I think this is their general approach.
robs42

Postby Lawrence » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:43 am

Since you asked for the answer to be succinct :wink: here's what Charles Maclean wrote in his Pocket Guide to Scotch Whisky;

Another contributing factor is the distillery's employment of a 'doubling still' process (two low wines stills in addition to the wash still, achieving two and a half times distillation).

I'll keep looking.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:39 am

From the Springbank website:

Frequently Asked Questions

Why is Springbank said to be distilled two and a half times?

Following fermentation, the wash is charged to the wash still where it is distilled to produce low wines, which contains around 20% ABV. The low wines are then distilled a second time to produce feints, which contains around 50% ABV.

A proportion of the low wines from the first distillation is then mixed with a proportion of feints from the second distillation, and is distilled a third time. Because some of the resulting spirit has been distilled twice, and some three times, it is said Springbank is distilled two and a half times.

Longrow is double-distilled in the traditional Scottish manner, while Hazelburn is triple-distilled.

That clears things up :roll:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:46 am

Excellent Lawrence, thank you kindly! :)

As I said above, I recalled it had something to do with what portions of feints & foreshots went for re-distillation, but I'm glad you clarified the details for me!

(I'm co-hosting an SMWS evening tomorrow night, and Springbank will be one of the featured whiskies. Thought I'd brush up on my Springbank trivia!! :) )

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder