Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ben Nevis 1992

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Ben Nevis 1992

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:00 am

Ben Nevis is a taste that i understand to be unique and quite pleasant, from what i have read. Never had the opprtunity as yet, seems that its very hard to find 'round here. However i did spot a bottle on the shelf the other day. Ben Nevis 1992 43% abv., no statement of age.
Ran a couple of seaches; no results.
Any suggestions or tasting notes woud be much appreciated.
Thankyou.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:38 pm

I had a bottle of Ben Nevis from Cadenhead's. It was cask strength and around 12 or 13 years old - I really can't remember the exact bottling but it was bought about a year ago. It was thick, dark and like an old, sherry steeped fruitcake. Very rich. It did have something on the finish that I can't quite describe - some kind of dirty dryness, rather bitter despite the sweet taste of the whisky. I could never quite decide whether I liked this aspect or not. But tons of flavour for your money. I would certainly consider getting Ben Nevis again.

Sorry for the inexpert notes - if you want class, go to Jim Murray.
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:19 pm

I've enjoyed Ben Nevis bottlings from Signatory (including a '92 10yo) and Cadenhead's. Not a top shelf malt but a very good western highland dram IMO. Lots of flavor, malty, some peat IMMSM.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:51 pm

I had a bottle of the Ben Nevis 10 year old last fall. I put it in my flask daily as I hiked Loch Ness and I found it to be a good solid malt without any floral notes which I really enjoyed. I am going to try and find another bottle.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder