Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Brora 13yo(1982-1995) Cadenhead cask stregth 59.2 abv

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Brora 13yo(1982-1995) Cadenhead cask stregth 59.2 abv

Postby jimidrammer » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:02 pm

I just got a bottle of this and my first impression is not too favorable. I'm guessing it needs to breathe for awhile, but there is a harshness and old taste that is not what I was expecting. This is the first Cadenhead bottling I've tried and I also bought a Cadenhead Craggenmore-Glenlivit 12yo (1982-1995) 60.2 abv. that I haven't opened yet. Does being bottled 10 years ago seem to be an issue of staleness? I like my other cask strength bottles and I was hoping the Brora would be similar to the Clynelish 14 which I like alot. Anybody have any dealings with these or other Cadenhead bottlings from the Authentic collection as I've also found a Jura10yo, Edradour19, Ledaig22, GlenEsk13, tomatin17 all cask strength and bottled in 1995 I am wondering about, but I'm thinking I'd be better suited to fresher bottlings. Thanks for any help.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby andrewfenton » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:52 pm

Haven't tried that particular bottling, but other Cadenhead youngish caskstrengthers I've had needed some time open before they lost some of that harshness. Here's another review of your bottle, which gave it 87:

http://www.maltmadness.com/l150-159.html#157

Age in the bottle really shouldn't be a problem, especially with something as full of taste as a Brora, and a 60% at that.
andrewfenton
Bronze Member

Postby karlejnar » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:07 pm

Hope the bottle hasn't been lying down part of the time. That could explain a harshness from the cork. Whisky and other spirits with a cork stoppe should never lie down - the strong alcohol dissolves the cork.

But again that might not be the case here - and I also suggest you give it a little time to breathe.
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby jimidrammer » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:25 pm

Thanks for the replies. The bottles were stocked standing up, but that doesn't say much for the last 10 years. The cork was wet like some other bottles I've had, but it did look kinda slimey and opened easy without much pop. I don't think it's a bad bottle and I'll give it a few weeks before I try it again. I'm just wishing I had gotten another bottle of Lagavulin 16 instead as they are both about the same price $70-80US. :(
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:45 am

Good news about the Brora. I couldn't believe the bottle was that poor quality and I wasn't patient enough to let it set too long, so I took the cork out wiped it off and sloshed the bottle around. Wow, what a difference. I guess the little bit I poured out at first was what was right next to the cork and had a reaction to it. New impression is: a very stout Clynelish clone and I'm so pleased. I haven't set down to make notes yet and I've got a trip planned tomorrow, so I'll get something up in a couple days. It is now more comparable to the MaltMadness score of 87, maybe even more on my scale since I'll probably never get to try the special bottles some folks get to try. :)
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:31 am

Okay, I finally got my notes together on this one

Score: 88

Name: Brora 13yo 1982-1995 Cadenhead’s 59.2% abv

Region: Coastal Highland

Notes: A special treat to savor, hard to replace

Tasting notes:

Color: Light wheat, greenish amber
Nose: Floral, lemony, perfumey, touch of vanilla, wet woodiness
Palate: Malty, sweet notes, citrus, acidic, a hint of honey roasted nuts
Body: Dry, almond skins
Finish: Very long and quenching, growing sweeter with time

Things may change some when it really has time to open up. It has some complex stuff going on in the palate that I have yet to identify. all in all a unique bottle I will enjoy for a long while.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Re: Brora 13yo(1982-1995) Cadenhead cask stregth 59.2 abv

Postby jmrl » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:07 pm

I got three Cadenhead Broras at 13yo I've opened one and will check to see if the same one you have. I loved it. I paid £60 each. If you have a nearby source for the old screen printed bottles I recommend you buy them if the prices are similar. If you can't afford to take the risk and buy the stuff to drink you should be able to swap them or sell them for something else, unless you live somewhere difficult to ship alcohol.
jmrl
Gold Member

Re: Brora 13yo(1982-1995) Cadenhead cask stregth 59.2 abv

Postby jimidrammer » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:51 pm

Wow, dug up a 2 year old thread. My note taking has really improved since then. I've been through a couple of those Broras and they are a fantastic trip back in time when young Broras were available. I really like the unique farmy character of that distillery. I've since had a 21yo Signatory bottling and may get a Douglas Laing Old Malt Cask version next week.

These are the old screen printed Authentic Collection Cask Strength bottlings with a small tan paper label in the middle with distillery info. I'm probably going to get a 22yo Glenlivet from '72 and maybe a 22yo Ledaig when I get back to the source. I don't swap or sell so I just need to make the trip. Let me know if its the same Brora.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder