Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Balvenie 10 & Glenmorangie 10: Which to feature first?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Which would you serve first?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:50 pm

Balvenie 10
18%
Glenmorangie 10
82%

Total votes : 11

Balvenie 10 & Glenmorangie 10: Which to feature first?

Postby Admiral » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:50 pm

I'm hosting a whisky tasting later this week for a bunch of single malt newbies.

I'm changing the menu for this particular tasting.....previously, I start the evenings with Glenlivet 12, then Glenmorangie 10, before moving onto more robust malts.

However, on this occasion I've decided to represent Speyside with Balvenie 10, rather than Glenlivet 12.

These are obviously very different drams, and I'm now less sure as to which to feature first. I generally like to start with the more gentle malts and then work up to something heavier.

In this case, whiskies 3, 4, and 5 will be Highland Park 12, Macallan 12 and Bowmore 12 respectively, but positions 1 & 2 are up for grabs between the Balvenie 10 and the Glenmorangie 10. Which order would you serve them in?

Cheers & thanks,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby si_peacock » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:08 pm

Hey Admiral

Probably go for Glenmorangie first based on two things

1) IMHO Balvenie is a superior malt and would make a reasonable step up from Glenmorangie

2) Glenmorangie is a malt that is fairly commonly known to those without a whisky passion (problem as my other half puts it). Balvenie is still not as well known. I'd use Glenmorangie as the "this is the sort of malt you get in most pubs" opener.

As the guys are newbies and have probably only drunk blends and the Glens before, having something different second may appeal...

Bracing myself for a barrage of posts in defence of Glenmorangie now... :!:
si_peacock

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:26 pm

I do like Glenmorangie. The only Balvenie I have ever had was a thin, spirity and hot offering with nothing to recommend it at all. It was also cask strength and in a duty free 1 litre bottle so it hung around for simply ages before it was ever finished. Several years, as I recall...

I find Glenmorangie very subtle and actually not unlike many sweeter beers. The malt is very chewy and quite unusual for a whisky. It drinks very easily and the flavour might not be that complex, but what it has, it does without equal.

Of the 10 year olds, it would certainly be near the top of my list.

(Forgot to say - I would serve Glenmorangie first as I wouldn't want to obscure its delicate nuances)
Deactivated Member

Postby Oliver » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:07 pm

Admiral,

One way to think of it, is like a boxing event. Which fighters go first, and why?

Usually, they try to arrange it so that better fighters come last.

Everything else being equal it goes from lighter to heavier weight class at the end of the evening.

Opinions will difer on wether the Balvenie surpasses the Glenmorangie in terms of quality (though I believe it clearly does). However, I think it pretty clear that the Glenmorangie is a much lighter spirit than the Balvenie.

I'd say the Glenmorangie would be a lightweight, while the Balvenie is at least a welterweight (a sort of super middleweight). The lightweight has less of a punch of course. Its possible subtelty will be lost to the tasters as the evening goes on and the tastbuds tire.

So I say pour the Glenmorangie first.

Cheers!

Oliver
http://www.maltresistance.blogspot.com
latest entry: 'Lying' Laphroaig!
Last edited by Oliver on Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby si_peacock » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:25 pm

Oliver

I'm impressed. Love the analogy.

Why is it that everyone on the board is more lucid, erudite, articulate, eloquent, perspicuous and reasoned than I seem to be in my posts :oops:

Don't answer that!

:wink:

Si
si_peacock

Postby andrewfenton » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:30 pm

I'd also say go for the Orangey first.

Also, wouldn't the Balvenie 12 be a possibly superior offering to the 10? The former is a top-notch malt imo - one of the very few that whisky beginners and obsessives can equally appreciate.
andrewfenton
Bronze Member

Postby Oliver » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:35 pm

SI,

Your kind comment inspired me to expand and post the "Boxing Analogy" idea on <www.maltresistance.blogspot.com>.

The post is titled "Sinbgle Malt Classification: A proposal." As usual there are plenty of digressions, but I do get to it, I promise! :)

Let me know what you think, if you'd like.

Cheers!

Oliver
http://www.maltresistance.blogspot.com
Single Malt Classification: A Proposal
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Durttbeag » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:47 pm

Hi all...

Depending on the company, I would serve the Glenmorrangie 1st rather than the Balvenie, I tend to agree with other members that the Balvenie is a notch higher in overall quality, the smooth sweeter, syrupy taste is also a nice follow up to the no-nonsense quality of the fine Glenmorangie.

Ahhhhhhh Glenmorangie ':roll:'

......now I have to get a bottle as I am out!

The Durtbeag
':D'
Durttbeag

Postby si_peacock » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:03 pm

Oliver

Great site! Like the article that you've done and I've also had a mooch around alot of the other stuff too.

Before joining this forum I was convinced that I was up there in terms of whisky passion. After seeing some of the efforts made by members to raise the profile of whisky then I know I have a long way to go. :oops:

Keep up the good work mate - I'll be coming to the site soon to keep up to date

Cheers

Si
si_peacock

Postby si_peacock » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:07 pm

Admiral

Don't know if any of this is helping but it'd be great to hear the views of the newbies once they've tried them - whatever order they are in. See what they think without our years of cynicism, over-indulgence and marketing-adled senses!

Like so many other things in life, I love to introduce whisky to fresh converts as often as possible. The range of reactions is great if nothing else

Si
si_peacock

Postby richard » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:07 pm

hi admiral

my advice is glenmorangie first its lighter and more delicate the balvenie has more body and heavier on the the palate

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:23 pm

Andrew,

I opted against the Balvenie 12 because it is a double-wood expression and would introduce a theme into the evening that is less critical to this particular audience. Also, I've already got Macallan 12 as whisky # 4 to illustrate the influence of sherry.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts....as I write this, the survey shows 85% in favour of the Glenmorangie being served first, which is a good enough majority for me! :)

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder