Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

"Old Grand-dad Whiskey" Any info?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

"Old Grand-dad Whiskey" Any info?

Postby Squire » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:16 am

Some in-laws recently arrived from the states and brought me a gift (I had sent them on a mission for some Sazerac 18yo Rye but they were unsuccessful - apparently that stuff is pretty hard to come by??).
They instead gave me a little sampler pack of miniature bourbons and J.D.
Very cute and containing all the usual suspects, Beam white label, Wild Turkey, Maker's Mark etc.
One bottle I hadn't seen or heard of before was "Old Grand-dad" Bourbon.
There is no mention of it in J.M's Bible nor in the whiskies of the world section here. A brief google search comes up with a storry tying it back to Basil Hayden and co.

Has anyone tried it or does anyone have any info about it?

I would be appreciative of any info. It could just be your standard corner store gut-rot for all I know!
Squire

Postby Frodo » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:30 am

Look in the bourbon thread in the tastings section. I inquired about the same and got some favourable responses. It does seem like a full-bodied bourbon though. Not like Elijha Craig or Evan Williams single barrel.

That's my take on the descriptions though.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:09 am

Hi Squire - I have never had Old Grand Dad... but I did find two references in a book by F. Paul Pacult - Kindred Spirits:

OLD GRAND DAD Kentucky Straight Bourbon 43% Alcohol

The very pretty and pure orange/copper color is classic bourbon; the nose is full-throttle grain, sharply sweet-sour and woody with dashes of spice and caramel - I like this no-razzle-dazzle bouquet a lot; at palate entry, it begins rather meekly, then in an explosive midpalate it bursts forward with biscuity, vanilla-wafer, and white chocolate tastes that capture the attention of the taste buds - riding a wave of manageable heat into the punchy aftertaste, OGD mellows out in the throat after about 30 seconds; this is what premium bourbon is all about - direct, almost reckless whiskey enjoyment that's a touch sweet, a bit warm, and appealing all the way home.

Rating *** Recommended $

OLD GRAND DAD 114-Barrel Proof Kentucky Straight Bourbon 57% Alcohol

Beautiful, deep topaz/bronze/orange hue, with very attractive amber highlights; as expected, potent and heady in the nose, but also astringent, pepperminty, and zesty - not what I'd term a deep complex bouquet - just straight on, fists cocked, and ready; on palate, it shows much more grace and gentility than in the pugnacious aroma, as well-defined, tightly focused sweet flavors of oak, pears, apricots, and dark caramel lead the taste buds to a moderately hot, though hardly unpleasant finish, where in the very tail end, the warm, rich flavor of oak-influenced vanilla completes the sensory impression.

Rating *** Recommended $ $

Copyright 1997 F. Pacult - Published by Hyperion, New York

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby bamber » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:33 am

I've only had the 114 and did some tasting notes for it:

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopi ... ht=grandad

This ones all about flavour power and good rye input for me.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Gerald Ford » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:27 pm

It is really quite funny to read this thread, being an American. Old Granddad has always been the archetypal bourbon, the one my grandmother drank, the first bourbon I ever tried, the case boxes were the ones I used in packing up for moving, etc. This brand is ubiquitous here. When I could not find a review in Jim Murray's bible, I anticipated that it might not be available outside the United States. I would not say you are missing out on much, but it is certainly not bad stuff.

I also laugh because I get so annoyed every time I see someone laud the virtues of the blend Black Bottle. That blend seems to be quite common overseas, but we cannot get it here. I am dying to try it.
Gerald Ford

Postby bamber » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:42 pm

I prefer Old Grandad 114 to Black Bottle :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Ed » Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:35 pm

Hello All,
The Old Grand Dad 114 is good, in your face Bourbon. The mash bill is rye heavy, 30% or there abouts. I like that.
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:39 am

Entry deleted.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:08 pm

Curiously, a bottle of Old Grandad whisky has just turned up for a whisky auction being held in Australia shortly:

{i]Lot 2462 1 glass decanter OLD GRAND-DAD Bicentennial Kentucky Straight Bourbon (level 6cm below bottom of stopper, etched glass decanter from Jim Beam) $50-100[/i]

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 23, 2005 1:56 pm

Old Grand-Dad is a very fine old label turned into an 86-proof (for a while, 80 proof!) bottom-shelf brand after a 1987 purchase by Jim Beam. (The 114-proof bottling is an exception -- it is still very good). If you can lay your hands on an older bottle from its National Distillers (pre-Beam) days, snag it.
Trivia: "Old Grand-Dad" refers to Basil Hayden, whose profile is on the label. His likeness is absent from his namesake brand, part of Jim Beam Small Batch Collection.
Deactivated Member

Re: "Old Grand-dad Whiskey" Any info?

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:53 am

I just picked up a bottle of the 43% ABV for $16.99 and it is great value. As others have mentioned, plenty of rye to taste, with nice balance and a decent finish. What a bargain!
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder