Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Edradour 10yo

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Edradour 10 Years Old

Edradour 10yo

Postby patrick dicaprio » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:09 pm

Just cracked a bottle of this and I was very surprised at how big a whisky it was. havent yet really started tasting notes on it but it had a tremendous full body and a nice big, complex nose. My first impression was that it was excellent, but i rarely to never see it mentioned as a great whisky. does anyone have thoughts on it?

Pat
Last edited by patrick dicaprio on Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby Bart » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:02 am

Burnt rubber is what I tasted...... :?
Bart

Postby Frodo » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:05 am

Patric:

I think our tast on this one is in the minority. I loved the stuff when I tried a few samples. It is a little expensive at the LCBO (C$85 for the OB).
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:47 am

Kind of weird, the story of Edradour and me. Ominous. First time I tasted it, it was love at first sight: the colour, the nose, the body, … – uups, I hope my wife isn’t reading my posts :oops: .
But after a while Edradour showed me its uglier sides as well. I remember well this one evening, when the sherry and the ‘soapy’ smell just became unbearable. It seemed, we had enough of each other. You know, this is, how life turns out from time to time. Btw I should confess, that it followed a fruity and fresh and crispy Bruichladdich 10 yo, which became fast a new love of mine.
Considering my part in this affair, I guess I’m not playing nice guy at all. Still feel a bit responsible for ’my’ Edradour though. So stand at its side, folks! It deserves it! Really!

And I’m off with my light blue love…
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:26 am

I also think the 10yr Edradour OB is an excellent whisky, I like the increased sherry influence. Even better than the OB bottle is the 10yr Signatory Unchillfiltered bottling, a real gem.

Try the Port finish as well, but it does need water to really bring it to life.

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby patrick dicaprio » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:09 pm

bernstein wrote:Kind of weird, the story of Edradour and me. Ominous. First time I tasted it, it was love at first sight: the colour, the nose, the body, … – uups, I hope my wife isn’t reading my posts :oops: .
But after a while Edradour showed me its uglier sides as well. I remember well this one evening, when the sherry and the ‘soapy’ smell just became unbearable. It seemed, we had enough of each other. You know, this is, how life turns out from time to time. Btw I should confess, that it followed a fruity and fresh and crispy Bruichladdich 10 yo, which became fast a new love of mine.
Considering my part in this affair, I guess I’m not playing nice guy at all. Still feel a bit responsible for ’my’ Edradour though. So stand at its side, folks! It deserves it! Really!

And I’m off with my light blue love…

hopefully this wont be my story. i had a similar experience with ABerlour 15yo Sherry Wood, and with each dram i liked it a little less right to the end of the bottle.

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:19 am

I'm considering a James McArther bottling of 10yr Edradour for C$70 (the OB goes for C$85). But then I'd have to forego the Glenfarclas 21yr coming out for C$127. Choices, choices...and my bank account is poor. Then there's the Talisker 18 that someone offered to ship me...

Why can't I have a better paying job... :cry:
Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:31 am

I visited Edradour in 2000, and the 10yo they served up at the time was a pretty inoffensive, tame malt.

The new 10yo released by the new owners is a great whisky....plenty of depth, an intriguing vanilla/toffee-orientated nose and palate, and a real juiciness to it.

I think it's a beauty. :)

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby robertk » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:53 pm

Interesting, I will just have to buy one to prove you right (or wrong!) ;). Do the bottles differ between the old and new owners so I don't go and accidentally buy the old bland one?

The Signatory unchillfiltered one is also tempting as I've had only good experiences of those bottlings (except the 81 Brora).

regards, Robert
robertk

Postby Admiral » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:53 pm

The old & new bottlings have different shaped bottles and completely different labels, so should have no problem distinguishing between them.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:54 am

I've been working my way through a bottle of the 10YO, and it's become one of my favorites! Personally, I love the big taste and the character that comes with it.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:38 am

Well, with one-and-a-half exceptions, the responses have been very positive. Sounds like a winner, eh? :)

I agree though that it is expensive, particularly for a 10yo. The one store in Sydney that had it was selling it for a $110, which is ridiculous considering all other 10 years olds are in the $50-$75 range.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:31 am

1304 :D ! Back to the front seat, Admiral!
I feel silly I made remarks about this in the first place :oops: – as Lawrence said: “Good thing, it’s not a race.” Greetings Downunder!
110 AUSD!? It’s close to halfprice around here. Good man, some trading-people really make a good cut these days…
Edradour 10 yo deserves the "winner-tag" though - glad to know it in good and caring hands...
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby patrick dicaprio » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:03 pm

Admiral wrote:Well, with one-and-a-half exceptions, the responses have been very positive. Sounds like a winner, eh? :)

I agree though that it is expensive, particularly for a 10yo. The one store in Sydney that had it was selling it for a $110, which is ridiculous considering all other 10 years olds are in the $50-$75 range.

Cheers,
Admiral

that is expensive. i can get it here for $56US
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:34 pm

I had some Edradour 10 recently and the soap and perfume was so strong I couldn't finish my dram. However it was an older bottling (not opened until I tried it) so I'm curious to see what the current bottlings are like.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Sun May 01, 2005 12:10 am

Even for the old bottlings, it strikes me as a little strange that such a small, traditional distillery would turn out something soapy & perfumed?

Rest assured, the new bottlings don't feature such characteristics.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Eirik » Fri May 06, 2005 11:03 am

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but read that Edradour has been using more peated malt recently (50 ppm). As a respons to the demand from the market I suppose. Everything is changing... Iain Hendersson influence?
Exciting though!
Eirik

Postby Admiral » Fri May 06, 2005 11:10 am

50???!!!! :shock:

That's Ardbeg's level!! That would be an interesting thing to taste!

I wonder how the peated spirit would combine with 10 or 12 years maturation in the Perthshire region? It would obviously be a very different dram to something that has matured on the Islay coastline!

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Eirik » Fri May 06, 2005 5:14 pm

Read this in an interview with Iain Hendersson. Though he didn't say if the heavily peated spirit would be blended with "ordinary" Edradour or not...
So those who live shall see... :wink:
Eirik

Postby patrick dicaprio » Fri May 06, 2005 7:05 pm

Admiral wrote:50???!!!! :shock:

That's Ardbeg's level!! That would be an interesting thing to taste!

I wonder how the peated spirit would combine with 10 or 12 years maturation in the Perthshire region? It would obviously be a very different dram to something that has matured on the Islay coastline!

Cheers,
Admiral

will this answer the question as to whether the Islay nose/palate is due to just peat or the vagaries of the island?

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri May 06, 2005 9:57 pm

I would appreciate a link or a reference to this interview if possible?

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Fri May 06, 2005 11:51 pm

Unfortunately (for me) it's in swedish! But I guess - as far as I could decipher - it does say something about Edradour and peated malt:
Det är nu Iain släpper bomben !
- Jag gillar torviga effekter, så vi har köpt in mältat korn på 50 ppm (!), buteljering kan man räkna med från 5 - 7 år framåt.
Om vi som whisky älskare kommer att få en rökbomb i stil med Lagavulin eller man kommer att samköra de nuvarande äldre mältningarna med de nya fick jag ingen tydlig klarhet i. Vi kan dock räkna med en klar riktningsförändring vad det gäller Edradours destillat.

http://www.seaside.se/~sea0655a/Iain%20Hendersson.htm

Our swedish friends might be of great help here...

skål
bernstein
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat May 07, 2005 3:01 am

That "slapper bomben" sounds promising............. :wink:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby andrewfenton » Sat May 07, 2005 3:10 am

If you want to try a peated whisky matured in Perthshire, try Jura. They ship all their casks for maturation to Deanston, which has the same owner.
andrewfenton
Bronze Member

Postby The Fachan » Sat May 07, 2005 7:00 am

Andrew,

I am afriad Jura is owned by Whyte & Mackay and Deanston by Burn Stewart Distillers. Having visited Deanston on Several occasions I have never found any large amounts of Jura.
Sorry

Ian
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat May 07, 2005 7:29 am

bernstein wrote:Unfortunately (for me) it's in swedish! But I guess - as far as I could decipher - it does say something about Edradour and peated malt:
Det är nu Iain släpper bomben !
- Jag gillar torviga effekter, så vi har köpt in mältat korn på 50 ppm (!), buteljering kan man räkna med från 5 - 7 år framåt.
Om vi som whisky älskare kommer att få en rökbomb i stil med Lagavulin eller man kommer att samköra de nuvarande äldre mältningarna med de nya fick jag ingen tydlig klarhet i. Vi kan dock räkna med en klar riktningsförändring vad det gäller Edradours destillat.

http://www.seaside.se/~sea0655a/Iain%20Hendersson.htm

Our swedish friends might be of great help here...

skål
bernstein

It translates as follows: I like peated effects, so we bought malted barley specified to 50 ppm, one can expect bottling in 5 -7 years from now. (Then the author goes on: )I was not able to find out if we whisky lovers will be presented with a "smoke bomb" in the Lagavulin style or if they'll mix the present maltings with the new ones. We can however expect a specific new direction in Edradours distillate.

Thanks for the links Bernstein!

....and Lawrence - the "slapper bomben" or more as it said släpper bomben simply means releasing the shocking news :wink:
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Sat May 07, 2005 7:03 pm

... and of course our norwegian friends! Thanks a lot for your translation, Christian!

Sounds promising! Hopefully we’ll hear of more ‘släpper bomben’ over the next years (sorry, couldn’t resist :D ). This way they keep our hobby interesting, although these developments will get our trained ‘malt-compasses’ into a muddle, I presume.

Takk og Skål!

bernstein
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby karlejnar » Sat May 07, 2005 7:56 pm

I can just add to the comments above. The peated "Edradour" is called "Ballechin". The name is taken from a long gone distillery nearby. So I think they will launch it as a single malt by that name when time comes. But they of course has the opportunity to "blend" the malts and launch a third expression of lower peat level.

Just as Ledaig/Tobermory has done with "Iona" which is a blend of Ledaig peated and ordinary Tobermory non-peated malt.

Talking Ledaig - that's the one being matured at Deanston together with Tobermory. One of the former owners needed cash and sold off the warehouse in Tobermory. It is now converted into appartments.

BTW Burn Stewart now also owns Bunnahabhain on Islay. And the blend "Black Bottle"
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun May 08, 2005 6:40 am

Thanks for the translation, Christian, but it's so much fun to run these things through the machine translator(http://www.foreignword.com/Tools/transnow.htm):

The is now Iain am admitting bomb! Self favour the turf effect , so we have bought in mältat grain on ppm (! buteljering able husband calculate on from 5 7 year forth. If wes as whisky adores will poll a rökbomb in style with Lagavulin ors husband will combine they existing senior mältningarna with they nya was getting self none evident brightness in. Wes able yet calculate on a clear day riktningsförändring what the am counting Edradours destillat.
Deactivated Member

Postby patrick dicaprio » Wed May 18, 2005 1:58 pm

Admiral wrote:I visited Edradour in 2000, and the 10yo they served up at the time was a pretty inoffensive, tame malt.

The new 10yo released by the new owners is a great whisky....plenty of depth, an intriguing vanilla/toffee-orientated nose and palate, and a real juiciness to it.

I think it's a beauty. :)

Cheers,
Admiral

i wonder what happened to it. i am now almost done with the bottle and it still has impressed me, unlike the Aberlour 15yo. SInce it is such a small distillery i would think that it would be a great tour. was it?

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Thu May 19, 2005 4:36 am

Well, I guess it was a pretty typical tour. We had a dram at the start, then we were taken through the various parts of the operation, just as they do at the other distilleries.

Obviously, the setting and environment is special, and the size of the operation is conspicuous, but as a tour, it didn't strike me as anything different!

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Related whiskies : Edradour 10 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder