Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg Uigeadail (my first bottle)

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Ardbeg Uigeadail

Ardbeg Uigeadail (my first bottle)

Postby jimidrammer » Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:11 pm

Ardbeg Uigeadail 54.2% abv

Tasting notes:

Color: Yellow gold

Nose: Vegetal, earthy, Moms' meatloaf, mustard, sage, wet leaves, a little seaweed and salt. Rounded and assertive, bright, but richly smooth

Palate: Quickly sweet, then smoky. Light charring meats, intense bite, but pleasant and powerful

Body: Slick, thin-ish, well- rounded

Finish: Lingering. A little bitter dryness at the very end like green persimmons

A true pleasure to examine and enjoy. And it looked right at home in one of my Ardbeg Tasting glasses with the distillery logo and appropriate proclamation "The Ultimate Islay Malt"

Score: 93 My ratings tend to be a little higher than others but I'm comfortable with this evaluation since I'll probably never see a rare upper 90's bottling of anything.

I wasn't expecting meat, but there it was. It is fascinating how some aromas and flavors could possibly be detected. Good thing I have a 2nd bottle because they will be entertaining me for a long while at only $69US, just $10 more than the Ardbeg "Ten". Now if I could only get the nerve to purchase the 1974 "Provenance" I've had my eye on. :wink:
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sun May 01, 2005 12:12 am

Great notes, and fairly accurate observations, at least as far as my palate is concerned! :)

If you can ever get hold of the Ardbeg 1977, this is a true beauty!

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby patrick dicaprio » Wed May 18, 2005 2:00 pm

i am surprised that you didnt find it to be distinctly tarry. when i first opened the bottle my first impression was of a freshly asphalted driveway or road. not that it was bad mind you, i thought it was a very good whisky.

i havent had your mom's meatloaf so i cant comment on it, unless you want to bring it to a tasting!

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby Crispy Critter » Sat May 21, 2005 4:19 am

Admiral wrote:If you can ever get hold of the Ardbeg 1977, this is a true beauty!

Indeed, it is. I just killed one of my two bottles earlier this week. :cry: The other one is going to stay unopened for quite a while. I had my eye one one last bottle at a nearby Binny's, but someone FOAFed it before I could pull the trigger. I guess I shouldn't get too greedy, though, and I hope it found a good home.

Fortunately, the 10yo is a mighty good dram in its own right, and I have a much more plentiful stock of it...
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun May 22, 2005 1:38 am

Yes, the 10 is a very good dram, I have a renewed appreciation for it.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:03 pm

I got my first bottle of Uigeadail at the weekend an would concur with what has been said about it above. IMHO it felt as if the 10 had grown up.
I did a brief HTH and have to say the Uigeadail seemed to have a greater complexity and more rounded mouthfeel whereas the 10yo was an unruly child, red faced and squealing as it was dragged where it didn't want to go!

10yo - 92
Uigeadail - 94

Would love to try a 17 but can't get a hold of it anywhere :cry:
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:32 pm

bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:29 pm

I recently got my first bottle of Uigeadail and I'm also enjoying it greatly though I dram it less than TEN since the latter is easily available while the "Oogie" is not. TEN is peatier but Uigeadail is more complex, sweeter and with a longer finish (TEN is more dry and shorter).

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:01 pm

Would love to try a 17 but can't get a hold of it anywhere Crying or Very sad

I finished one of my 17's last night with 2 in the wings. They are scarce, but I would say tha Uigeadail is more intense and the 10 is better balanced, the 17 seems too smoothed out and a little weak. It's still great as is nearly everything that has come from Ardbeg, but I'll probably not lose sleep over it's availability.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:36 pm

Thanks for that. If it comes along, great. If not I'll console myself with the Oog. :)
Deactivated Member

Postby Ed » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:08 pm

Hello All,
I had my first drams (2) of Uigeadail the other day in my favorite bar. I liked it a lot. Not sure if I like it better than the 10 or not. It seemed very sweet and less peaty that the 10. I would have had a dram of the 10 instead of the second Uigeadail, but they didn't have any on hand. I did have just a touch of the 10 after I got home. If I remember my impressions correctly, I may prefer that to the Uigeadail. That is lucky for me as I have never seen the Uigeadail on any liquor store shelf. The 10 is easy to come by and if I wait for a good price it is as affordable as it is drinkable.
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Related whiskies : Ardbeg Uigeadail

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder